Drink of the Day?

Jennymc

I don't do many "foo-foo" drinks, but if you decide to get the "drink of the day", ask for it in a regular, non-souvenier glass--it's even cheaper that way! (And who needs all those crappy plastic glasses?)

Funny...I always forget that first time when I order a margarita to ask for it in a regular cup and here they show up with the freakin' plastic souvenir cup for twice the price and I am like crap...so always remember from the first drink on...except I do have the glass (the real glass one's short stemmed) swirl glasses that I get the mango tango's in for $8...the glass itself at home would be $10...so for 8 or 9 bucks I get the glass and tasty drink...now have a set of 4 at bar for cosmos and my guests love them.

Those plastic one's are crap...u r right...and u can tell the first time cruisers that are walking around picking them up toting about 10 in hand to take back home. LOL :)

oh, and as far as the real glass swirled colored one's go...I always asked for a different color swirl..so all 4 are different colors and look really cool at the bar when light is on and the are reflecting in mirror in bar area...so u can request a color. :)

yeah, some of the women in our group were bound & determined to collect all the colors -- and sometimes had to go to different bars on the ship to make that happen! But the bartenders were great about it, even gave them the boxes the glasses come in so they could pack them up to bring them home!

Someone said once the difference is only a buck or two; for that, if you have the desire and the means to take them home, I think it's a great souvenir. I just wish I had gotten one of those pretty glass ones with the DoD at sailaway (I have a "crappy plastic" one, but if I put my yogurt smoothie in it at home, I can stand on the back porch and imagine I'm on deck...).

I haven't been on a cruise in over 15 years. So, I'm just a tad confused. If you ask for the drink of the day in a regular glass, you can keep that glass as a souvenir?

There's a number of souvenier glasses that you get to keep after you have the drink. The most common is a standard "Royal Caribbean" glass that a lot of the tropical drinks come in. But the best by far is these martini glasses, which I also think cost about $10 here back home. The cost varies I think depending on the drink and the type of glass. The martini glass ran about $8.95, but I thought some of the other drink of the days were only $5.95, I may be wrong.

As an aside, does anyone have trouble cleaning out these martini glasses where the logo is inside the glass? I've looked at mine, and I can still see remnants of the mango daiquiri that I had inside mine. It's impossible to clean out. Kind of gross, actually, when you think about it.

If you have a regular bar you go to you can ask for the glass souvenir glasses instead of the plastic if you're spending the extra money for the souvenir glass. They have a very nice martini glass and also a few others that are worth spending the extra money on if you keep them and use them at home.

What drinks come in the nice glass ones?

I would request my mango tango or pina coladas in the glass swirled glasses and then the just made the appropriate charge for it. Some drink automatically come in them, like any Patron Margarita does the entire cruise. Glad to hear others love the short stemmmed fun glasses too. :)

labeachcomber....I have had no trouble getting my clean...do u put them in dishwasher? they are dishwasher safe on top shelf. Mine are all sprakle clean when I do that with no gunk stuck to logo. Cheers. :)

I thought it was neat that Royal Caribbean sometimes has drinks of the day that are related to the port or locale. The most obvious are in Cococay you get Cocolocos and Labadee you get Labaduzees. You can expect margaritas in Mexico. Then there are port themed ones I know only by researching for this.. Jamiacamon's in Ocho Rios, I Shot the Sheriff's in Montego, Curacao's Gold in Curacao, etc.

Other known drinks I've had or heard of ... Hurricanes, Mojitos, Tequila Sunrises, Bloody Marys, Blue Seas.

The list goes on and on, but I hope that gives you an idea on the types of drinks you can get.

Now to figure out what the heck an I Shot the Sheriff is all about... :)

"in a regular glass", no (and who'd want to>). If you just ask for the drink of the day, you'll get it in the souvenir glass which you may keep.

There are a few that say the drink of the day souvenir glass is plastic, and that if you request it in a "regular glass", it's one worth collecting.

So, now I'm a bit more confused. Am I requesting a "regular glass" because I just want to save money? Or am I requesting a "regular glass" because it's actually glass and not plastic and what I want to bring home?

There are a few that say the drink of the day souvenir glass is plastic, and that if you request it in a "regular glass", it's one worth collecting.

So, now I'm a bit more confused. Am I requesting a "regular glass" because I just want to save money? Or am I requesting a "regular glass" because it's actually glass and not plastic and what I want to bring home?

okay...let me see if I can maybe clarify better...

let's say you order a pina colada...what they do automatically is put in a tall clear Royal Caribbean souvenir plastic cup, and u pay for that in the cost of the drink.

So then u decide u don't want anymore or don't want a souvenir plastic cup...then u tell waiter/bartender to put your pina coloda in regular cup, not a souvenir one...and what u get it in is a SOLO plastic type cup and cost less for the pina coloda since it's not in RCI's souvenir plastic cup.

Okay, then there's these GLASS short stemmed swirlled maritini type glasses that you can also order drinks in and KEEP the glass too for a souvenir. Some drinks (Patron Margaritas and some drink of the day) automatically come in these fun glasses and you can request for a drink to come in them so you can keep them too, but pay more then u would for a drink in the SOLO cup...but these are real glasses and worth paying the extra to get a set to bring home. Once you have yor set...then go back to cocktails in the plain 'ole SOLO cups for cheaper.

Does this clarify it a little bit?

Cheers!!! :)

We are on the Grandeur on 8/27 for 5 day cruise to Bermuda. What are some examples of the drinks of the day and how does their price relate to a non-drink of the day?

Thanks for any info!

Jennymc:

Our last cruise:

Day 1 Bahama Mama

Day 2 Tequila Sunrise

Day 3 Margarita

Day 4 Bacardi Cocktail

Day 5 Goombay Smash

Day 6 Yellow Bird

Day 7 Mai Tai

All $5.95 or with the "sloozie glass" $8.95

I have no idea what day 4,5 and 6 were. I don't recall even having one 'drink of the day' the whole cruise.

A regular old vodka tonic or bacardi and diet is a little less I believe.

okay...let me see if I can maybe clarify better...

let's say you order a pina colada...what they do automatically is put in a tall clear Royal Caribbean souvenir plastic cup, and u pay for that in the cost of the drink.

So then u decide u don't want anymore or don't want a souvenir plastic cup...then u tell waiter/bartender to put your pina coloda in regular cup, not a souvenir one...and what u get it in is a SOLO plastic type cup and cost less for the pina coloda since it's not in RCI's souvenir plastic cup.

Okay, then there's these GLASS short stemmed swirlled maritini type glasses that you can also order drinks in and KEEP the glass too for a souvenir. Some drinks (Patron Margaritas and some drink of the day) automatically come in these fun glasses and you can request for a drink to come in them so you can keep them too, but pay more then u would for a drink in the SOLO cup...but these are real glasses and worth paying the extra to get a set to bring home. Once you have yor set...then go back to cocktails in the plain 'ole SOLO cups for cheaper.

Does this clarify it a little bit?

Cheers!!! :)

Thanks, kbt2! That makes sense now. :)

Since I love margaritas, it looks like I'm in luck with getting the fun collectible glasses then! ;)

Thanks, kbt2! That makes sense now. :)

Since I love margaritas, it looks like I'm in luck with getting the fun collectible glasses then! ;)

Just to clarify that part...it is the Patron Maragaritas that automatically come in those fun glasses...not any other tequila...but since Patron is DH and I our fav, it was a no brainer ordering those for that price. :)

Just to clarify that part...it is the Patron Maragaritas that automatically come in those fun glasses...not any other tequila...but since Patron is DH and I our fav, it was a no brainer ordering those for that price. :)

Patron works for me! :)

• 1 year later...

Can you order the Drink in the collectible glass and pay the higher price and then get refills in the same cup at the lower (regular cup) price?

I did this on Carnival and kept one cup and use it for my DoD :D at home.

Just returned from a 4-night on Sovereign and let me tell you, I enjoyed a drink of the day every day and they were all yummy. I always ordered mine either in Boleros or in Viking Crown Lounge and always got "real" glass and they are cool. They have colored ribbons and confetti type markings surrounding the RCL logo on the bottoms and the rest is clear (the stem is the crown and anchor). I got myself a set of 4 and they are spiffy on my bar. I had a Bon Voyage, Bahama Mama, Mango Cooler and my favorite was the Electric Lizard. Yummmmmm.

I'm trying to remember if I saw these swirly glasses on my last cruise. Does anyone have a picture to post? With my luck, I had one and thought it wasn't a souvenier, and left it!! :o Do all the souvenier glasses have the logo on them and the regular glasses don't?

I always forget to ask for a regular glass the first few times. But, I have only been given the plastic cups once. All other times I have gotten the martini shaped glass cups or the taller hurricane glass cups with the C&A for the stem. We now have every color of the martini ones, we have yet to get the new hurricane shaped ones with the ribbons on it, ours are just plain with the RCCL logo on it.

Archived