Coral Princess AD or AB?

Patybear

We booked an AD guarantee on the Coral Princess and have been offered an upgrade to an AB cabin D318. Are the AD cabins better since they seem to be pushed out a little? It appears that the AB would have a larger balcony. And, since this is a Panama Canal is one side of the ship better than the other? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer!

As far as what side is better, you really do not know what side of the locks you will go through until you are at the Canal, and then neither side is better. I'd recommend being on deck for it anyway. You get the whole view that way. I'd find a cabin that is nicely placed on the ship for things that interest you onboard.

I originally had an AD guarantee on the Coral, but I have trouble with guarantee. I prefer choosing. With the AD guarantee, the upgrade would be the Dolphin deck, which I did not want. The balcony is completely uncovered. So I was finally able to select an AD Cat mini suite on the Aloha deck, midship bumpout. We sailed the Canal on the Island and this cabin is the same as we had then, and loved it. The balcony is 3/4 covered and there is no one above. Most people don't mind the uncovered balcony and the balcony on the Dolphin deck is larger, but I like to be covered.

Thanks for your help. I stayed with the AD since it is closer to the poo and the Horizon Court. I also would rather have a cover balcony. It was nice that the TA emailed to let us know we were upgraded and if it was OK. We aren't even sailing until Thanksgiving. Thanks again for your help!

I will be in a Cat AB Mini on the Coral, Caribe Deck Aft in a couple of months. I'll let you know when I return..:)

Largin -- Did you choose your cabin assignment? That's what I wanted for our Oct. sailing, but they were only taking guarantees. That's why I selected the mini on the Aloha Deck, midship. I'm not complaining because we sailed in that cabin on the Island and liked it, but Iwould have liked to try the Caribe deck.

KAJOKG.. Kinda. It was not a guarantee or upgrade. I was on the Coral last April/May (15 day Panama, Cat BA, C535) and really liked the ship. We met some old waiter friends from earlier cruises as well as the maitre d' and our head waiter. A couple of weeks after we returned, I decided that it might be fun to see everyone again in Alaska. I called a TA friend of mine and told him to find me a balcony room for the latter part of August or Early September. That night I received an email saying he could get me a Cat AB minisuite (C715) on the 9/04 sailing for a real real low price. I knew where the room was so I booked it.. :)

LARGIN -- Lucky you! This is my first on the Coral, but we really enjoyed the Island and it's the same. I'm not unhappy with my cabin selection (A504), but I would have liked to try the Caribe Deck. That deck looks like the best on the ship.

• 6 months later...

Hi! We have 2 cabins for our group of 5 on Caribe deck, C318 and C322. They're in the section that goes in on the side. Can anyone tell me about these cabins? Are the balconies covered, partially, or open? It's tough to know if you are choosing the right cabin when you don't know much about the ship, but from what I've read, everyone says Caribe is one of the better decks to be on. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!:)

• 1 month later...
KAJOKG.. Kinda. It was not a guarantee or upgrade. I was on the Coral last April/May (15 day Panama, Cat BA, C535) and really liked the ship. We met some old waiter friends from earlier cruises as well as the maitre d' and our head waiter. A couple of weeks after we returned, I decided that it might be fun to see everyone again in Alaska. I called a TA friend of mine and told him to find me a balcony room for the latter part of August or Early September. That night I received an email saying he could get me a Cat AB minisuite (C715) on the 9/04 sailing for a real real low price. I knew where the room was so I booked it.. :)

Hi - we were in C717 right next door and LOVED it! I adored the aft decks on the Coral. So wonderful to go out there at night and watch the ships wake. Best part for me travelling with kids -- proximity to laundry (LOL).

I enjoyed the pushed out sections. We were on the Baja deck room 502. We liked being in the pushed out section. Nobody was walking by our room down the hall. I liked being out from all the other rooms on the balcony. Guess it is a matter of preference.

Hi beagle lover - we are on the same cruise, and booked the canal tour with Oscar - there's 4 of us - or are you doing the zipling - I know he was anxious to get a few more bodies to fill up the van.

Mark

We've been quoted prices for A 624 or 625 on Aloha deck. My only concern is that being that high, there will be a lot of movement. We're thinking of the repo cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver may "06 Also Baja 408 or 607.

Then if I really feel rich Ha, ha mini suites on Dolphin 616

Any comments on these cabins would be appreciated.:confused:

Oscar is great, but just be sure he doesn't squeeze too many people with you. His van and the larger bus have jump seats. Our group of 16 were all ready and we found that he was waiting for more. They would have had to sit in the jump seats. It would have been uncomfortable for everybody so he ended up getting another van and driver for them.

We just booked Caribe 311 on the Coral. When I got home and showed my DH, he mentioned that because the next cabin to us jutted out that it would restrict our vision. Can anyone tell me about this cabin or location. I wanted the larger balcony and like the idea of it being 1/2 sun 1/2 covered.:)

We're not going until May "O6" and the cabin selection was very slim.

Also our agent mentioned that on the full canal cruise you want to be on the this side so you could see the land and not ocean all the time. Not sure about this, as this is our first balcony.

Now only have 400+ days to wait:eek:

I've just booked Caribe C309 so that's me you will see hanging over the balcony back to you (no, really, I'm sailing in December, but we will be "next door neighbors" sort of).

I have done the Coral before without a balcony and really cannot say that it makes a difference where your balcony is - in order to have a good view of the transit you must look out both sides as well as the front and the back. Sure, you will want to watch from the balcony too, but you really have to travel around the ship to get a good view of all the workings. And, since you don't know which of the two lanes you will be in going thru, you can't really choose. I'm not sure I totally agree with her point about being on the side you can see land, you are awfully far from that land to see anything - but I do like a starboard balcony either way.

I can see what you mean about your view being cut back by the bumped out section in front of you --- just my opinion, but I'd think a room more to the middle would be a better view to the side, but still the ship does jut out in I believe 3 places.

Archived