Tampa Bridge/Early seating......

....I'm not one to miss a good meal, and I really want to be on deck going under the bridge. I watch bridge cams and think I have the Miracle's timing down to a few minutes, and it sounds like it happens in the middle of first seating. Is there a problem if I go to dinner and slip away for a few minutes to shoot a video? I don't want to skip the dinning room the first night.

Any advice, suggestions?

hi, we're just back from the Inspiration. I could not believe that we passed under the bridge just as our waiter was placing our main course in front of us (first seating). How can it take sooooooo long to get to that bridge??/ we left at 4pm???? dinner at 5:45

don't know if it will be the same for you.

I live in Tampa and am curious if you are talking about the Sunshine Skyway bridge. It's a great view from the top!

Yeah I'm sure its the Sunshine Skyway Bridge they are talking about. It's also an amazing view from the ship. There isn't much clearance between the top of the ship and the bridge so its fun to be up on top when the ship passes underneath. When I was on the Miracle we passed under it just before 6:30 and the reason it takes so long is because the ship passes through the channel and the Bay slowly for safety reasons. Running aground would ruin the whole cruise! If you live in Tampa and haven't been on the Miracle you are missing out, it's a great ship.

Does the Inspiration go under about the same time? We have late seating so I think we should be ok, right? We have a large group and I was thinking about a champangne toast either when we sail away or when we go under the bridge. What do you think?

We were on the Inspiration last year, they do make announcements leading up to going under the bridge. Cwnhokie, you will be fine with late seating. We had late last year and had plenty of time to be on the jogging deck at the front of the ship when we went under the bridge and then go back to the room, freshen up, change and go to dinner.

Chitown, keep an eye on the time as they may have the announcements turned off in the dining room.

Enjoy your cruise!

We will be on the Miracle in October. I wonder if any of the tables by the window provide some of the view?

We saw the bridge thru the dining room windows on the Miracle. There wasn't that much to see since our table was not even close to the windows but I'm sure those with window seats got a pretty good view. I wanted to go up on the funnel deck to see it but decided against it since the day we sailed (in March) it was very cold and windy. I don't remember them making an announcement. I just happened to look to wards the windows at that time and saw it coming.

We didn't want to miss the bridge, but my daughter didn't want to miss the appetizer (grilled chicken of satay) the first night. We explained to the waiter that we were ordering only the appetizer and asked him not to be offended when we slipped out.

We had plenty of time to take several shots coming up to the bridge. Afterwards, we grabbed a slice of pizza to top off our tummies.

Hey Phyliss

We are doing the Miracle again on 9-3.

This time will be Larry and I leaving sis behind. I am looking forward to going under the bridge and being able to enjoy it and not worry about Sis. DH and I got up around 3AM on return to see us come under the bridge at night. We were late. Anyone wanting to see us returning to port make sure to be up on deck by 2:30AM at latest. Worth the view.

Bye Debbie

We were on the Miracle in May and I don't remember any announcements before the bridge. They did make an announcement at sail away of the approximate time we would be going underit. Yes it is the sunshine skyway bridge. I think it has been re-named recently. You can't really see much from the dining room windows as the main dining room is on decks 2 and 3 all the way aft. It was a really neat experience though. We were up on the funnel deck when we went under, not much clearance there.

Jess

figure about 2 hours from the time you set sail til you go under the bridge- We were on the funnel deck which is the highest point of the ship. Im sure the views from other decks is just as nice but from up there--- it feels like you can reach out and touch the bridge. (lasts for all of 2 seconds and I dont recall hearing an announcement about the bridge.

We will be on the Miracle in October. I wonder if any of the tables by the window provide some of the view?

We sailed the Miracle in January and luckily had late seating. IMHO the view from the deck would be preferable to a dining room window which sometimes can be dirty"ish" (salt water uuk)(not complaining - salt water on windows is to be expected). We took pictures from the deck and it was funny because you almost duck as you go under - it really looks close. I've heard its only 6 inches clearance - really not sure thats the case but it is something to see.

I enjoyed every night in the dining room and would not have wanted to miss out so maybe early the last morning go with another posters suggestion of 2:30-3:30 am.:)

Have a terrific October cruise!!:D

Payd

Thanks Payd and HeidiHo: We have sailed from Tampa several times, but since we have the early seating...we have missed the bridge experience. If the weather permits, we will just miss the dinner on the first night. (Hubby has to eat early due to sleep apnea.)

Let me add my two cents. We were on the Miracle in May and skipped dinner the first night. I can eat a steak dinner every day of my life but that that was the first time I ever sailed under a bridge that close on a ship. Well worth eating the buffet that night!!!!

On Inspiration there was no announcement in the dining room. However, I was seated by the window and could enjoy the approach. It looks like you barely clear it! Made for great dinner conversation with the new people at the table! and yes, I think we passed under somewhere between 6:15 and 6:30. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, missing it already....;)

Let me add my two cents. We were on the Miracle in May and skipped dinner the first night. I can eat a steak dinner every day of my life but that that was the first time I ever sailed under a bridge that close on a ship. Well worth eating the buffet that night!!!!

I was just thinking the same thing. The first night is always the sirlion steak that is always dry and tough. ( since I only eat beef, I have had it on every ship we have been on)

The rest of the beef fare is fine, though. I can skip the dry and tough to see the bridge!

On the Inspiration, last year, I don't recall hearing any announcements on the PA. Except for the ones made by the Matre'd (George the Greek). We were on deck during the approach to the bridge and the Captain made several announcements, so maybe it varies from Cptn to Cptn. If you really want to see it just keep and eye on the time.

• 2 months later...
We saw the bridge thru the dining room windows on the Miracle. There wasn't that much to see since our table was not even close to the windows but I'm sure those with window seats got a pretty good view. I wanted to go up on the funnel deck to see it but decided against it since the day we sailed (in March) it was very cold and windy. I don't remember them making an announcement. I just happened to look to wards the windows at that time and saw it coming.

We will be on the Inspiration during Thanksgiving week, my husband is so excited about the passing under the bridge part! I also just HAD to reply to the person who has the screen name I wanted, but all is well because I have my second choice that I like just as much. <grin>

HeidiHeidiH0

It is a great sight going under the bridge. Living in Tampa have done it more than once...and been over it many times.

After you pass under the new bridge look left and right. You will see the approaches that are left for the old bridge.

To see what happened...

GOOGLE...Sunshine Skyway Bridge Collaspe...

This happened 26 years ago..."Horrific" is the only way to describe the event.

The original bridge was hit by a freighter during a storm.

Archived