Vatican - Shorts/No Shorts / Long shorts

I've searched, and can't find the answer to this question...so I'll ask it here:

I know shorts are verboten, but sandals are okay.....(right so far?)

I understand that the reason shorts are not allowed, is that they show the knee (right?)

So...

If I have shorts which are longer than knee-length, are they acceptable?

Thx.

I was surprised. When we visited the Vatican museum and St. Peter's, we all were dressed appropriately for fear of being asked to leave. The women all made sure of longer skirts/pants and shoulders covered. The men wore dress slacks and golf shirts.

When we got there , we saw men in shorts and "sleeveless" women. No one was asked to leave or given "paper cover-ups" I had heard about.

just returned, nobody seemed to care how you are dressed, although we all dressed "appropriately", we saw knees and shoulders all over, for both men and women, it did not seem to matter. good luck

I was there in June/July and they were enforcing the dress code. I saw people being turned away for wearing shorts and tank tops. I saw people wearing the paper clothes to cover up. I don't know where they got them.

Why take any chances? Cover up and do the proper thing.

I was there in June/July and they were enforcing the dress code. I saw people being turned away for wearing shorts and tank tops. I saw people wearing the paper clothes to cover up. I don't know where they got them.

Why take any chances? Cover up and do the proper thing.

tank tops I can understand. Short shorts, same thing.

If you read the question of the thread, it's "Are long shorts acceptable"....not "are they enforcing the dress code".

Thanks for any conclusive answers.

I would wear a long shirt if you wear shorts. I was with a woman who was turned away because her shorts were too short. She undid her button and fly shimmied down her shorts to an acceptable level. And because her now untucked shirt was long, noone was the wiser;).

I thought it was a thrifty way to get in. Scarves can be a useless expense. And according to DH long sleves and pants in Rome in the summer is ghastly.

We just got back and toured the Vatican and Church. One gentleman in our tour group had shorts on and a pair of pants in knapsack just in case. Good thing because they made him change. I think he just pulled his pants up over his shorts. A couple of ladies had tank tops on and were made to wear the paper poncho. It might just be an idea if you want to wear shorts most of the time or tank top to carry appropriate coverings in your bag and change if they don't let you in. You will miss something beautiful and inspiring if you go all that way and don't get in.

We visited St. Peter's Basilica on July 14 and even did the Scavi Tour the same morning. Our group wore long pants just in case. One woman behind us in the security line was told "no shorts" and was turned away. They were also handing out paper shoulder covers to women who needed them.

There were signs at the security line showing images of what kind of shorts or shoulder barring tops were acceptable and not acceptable. Shorts that were long (i.e. covering the knees) were acceptable. Those above the knees were not. Tops that covered the shoulders were fine, those that had straps or were cut off at the shoulder and revealed the shoulders were not.

The dress code was obviously not strictly enforced because there were some visitors who clearly "violated" the rule, yet they were allowed in. So it was not clear to us how strictly they were checking everybody out.

Hey Jasminedog! We are going to the Vatican accompanied by a private guide for two hours. We were interested in the Scavi Tour but read it lasts 90 minutes. We are doing Rome with a private driver so we still want time to see the other main sites. Is it possible to do a shortened Scavi Tour - I've also heard it is hard to get reservations...!?

We did the Scavi Tour in June (it was a great experience) and the guide (usually a priest) really dictates the length of the tour. A friend of mine and her family were in the tour before us, and their tour took a total of 45 minutes. Our tour lasted 90 minutes. I sent an email to the Vatican to reserve the Scavi Tour in December 2005, and got confirmation for our June tour in April 2006. By the way, in case someone in your group has claustrophobia, the Scavi Tour may not be for them. My husband had to bail out; the air quality was getting to him. He was the only one who had to bail out - about 10 minutes into the tour. The priest had forewarned everyone about the conditions and made it clear that it was okay to bail out if you felt uncomfortable, even after the tour has started. My husband was really disappointed, but he is claustrophobic. If you do get confirmation for the Scavi Tour, please make sure you bring your confirmation email; the Swiss Guards were very strict in letting anyone through the gate where the Scavi Tour ticket office was located.

The Scavi Tour is 90 minutes and there is no shortened tour. You are in a group of 12 persons and the guide makes sure everybody keeps up. Even though your time in Rome is limited, I would say it is worth doing because so few visitors actually get to be a part of this unpublicized tour. Have a great trip.

Hi folks,

Was just touring the Vatican a week ago today and we had all the men/boys in our group wear pants and all our ladies wore capris or skirts. We all had a light blouse or pashmina to cover our shoulders. One girlfriend let her scarf slip while walking through the Vatican museum and was asked by a guard just outside the Sistine Chapel to cover up (she was in a tank top style sundress). She did cover up and proceeded in.

Several of our men/boys wore the zip-off style pants available from REI, EMS and LL Bean, designed for hiking, but worked well for touring Europe in the summer. After we left the Vatican and before the Forum, they just zipped off the bottoms and were on their way!

Kind of makes me laugh...our American men fretting about having to wear pants one or two days of the summer, when most European men do not seem to wear them unless they are at the beach...even if they are touring the same sights as we are. Guess it's just what we're used to.

By the way, our weather in Italy was wonderful. Warm (80's) during the day, cooler at night and not humid. Just delightful.

Enjoy,

Lynne

Archived