Medications on flight- Allowed?

HaloV

I put all of my meds in a weekly organizer w/ copies of the prescriptions (when we fly & cruise) Do you have to (now) bring all of your meds in the original bottles? What a pain if so. I might as well bring the whole pharmacy with me.:o I was reading on the TSA website and I am a little confused. Thanks

My husband flew to Las Vegas yesterday, and he had his meds in his weekly organizer pack. He thought it would be okay since he also had each prescription bottle with him as well, and they had his name on each bottle. They let the bottles of meds go through, but they discarded all the pills in the weekly organizer. They also made him dump his bottle of Vitamin C because it didn't have his name on it. Since Vit. C is over the counter, I didn't think that would be a problem, especially since it's not liquid. Guess I was wrong.

Meanwhile, my SIL flew home Saturday from California with her 3 children, and after they were home for several hours, her 8-year-old opened her "Barbie" backpack and out spilled hand sanitizer gel and a tube of hand lotion and lip gloss. My SIL didn't even realize she had them in her carry-on. And apparently neither did the TSA examiner!

All meds must be in their original containers with the name on the bottle exactly matching the name on the travel documents. They are now allowing 4oz of OTC liquid medicine, such as cough syrup, on board, but nothing else.

Wow, Thanks for the important information jerseygirl3. I can't imagine throwing away a weeks worth of meds. That would be hundreds of dollars worth. I guess I will bring all of my bottles & then put them in my weekly organizer when I get on the ship.:mad:

Just another note, re: medications. Not only must they be in the original container with your name matching exactly, they are supposed to be in a separate bag. So maybe take a grocery bag with all the medications and put that in your carry-on. We also have to remember some of the rules for foreign travelers is different than for US travelers. Each person must really go to their TA or wherever it's posted for International or Domestic travelers. I'm not sure the TSA website would be for foreign travelers. Cameras and jewelry doesn't appear to be a problem for US travelers. Yet UK travelers cannot take any carry-ons except their money and passports????

So again, check with your TA, airline or website for your flight and destinations.:eek:

Boy, I sure hope tossing out everyone's heart and blood pressure medication (or whatever else one has a prescription for) that isn't in it's original bottles, helps keep all the terrorists away!

I'm sorry, but I think this entire thing is crazy. Even if one's medication is in a container with one's name on it (opposed to a weekly med container which most people use to keep their meds straight . . . especially when they have a dozen pills to take a day and may be a little forgetfull about which pills to take and when) . . . who's to say that the pills in the "legal" container are the actual meds listed on the pill bottle? Are they going to have a pharmacist standing side by side with every TSA agent to be sure the pills really are what should be?

I'm all for making sure flights are safe and if it means long lines and checking each carry on bag by hand (and for the moment, even banning liquids and gels), so be it. However, someone is going way overboard (pardon the pun) for making such a big deal out of what medications one carries in their carry on. As a criminal defense attorney, those that use and possess illegal drugs would never carry them in carry on bags. Believe me . . . they would be hidded deep inside a checked bag.

Reading about how one's vitimin pills were tossed because these over the counter pills did not have someone's name on the bottle is nothing short of ridicutous!

Boy, I sure hope tossing out everyone's heart and blood pressure medication (or whatever else one has a prescription for) that isn't in it's original bottles, helps keep all the terrorists away!

I'm sorry, but I think this entire thing is crazy. Even if one's medication is in a container with one's name on it (opposed to a weekly med container which most people use to keep their meds straight . . . especially when they have a dozen pills to take a day and may be a little forgetfull about which pills to take and when) . . . who's to say that the pills in the "legal" container are the actual meds listed on the pill bottle? Are they going to have a pharmacist standing side by side with every TSA agent to be sure the pills really are what should be?

I'm all for making sure flights are safe and if it means long lines and checking each carry on bag by hand (and for the moment, even banning liquids and gels), so be it. However, someone is going way overboard (pardon the pun) for making such a big deal out of what medications one carries in their carry on. As a criminal defense attorney, those that use and possess illegal drugs would never carry them in carry on bags. Believe me . . . they would be hidded deep inside a checked bag.

Reading about how one's vitimin pills were tossed because these over the counter pills did not have someone's name on the bottle is nothing short of ridicutous!

I agree, I take 27 meds a day.

Archived