Is ten day cruise too long?

NANTCKET

I have been on a lot of cruises, but all of them being seven days. In looking for a cruise to bring my 17 year and ten year old kids on with me, I found a phenomenal deal on a ten day January Southern Caribbean out of New York City. It would actually be cheaper for us to take this one, then to fly to Florida and take a seven day one. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Christine

Our first cruise on NCL was a 10 day and my wife became homesick on Day 9. Our next was a 7 day and she said it was too short. I prefer 10 day cruises. Plenty of time to unwind.

Right now were contemplating a 14 days cruise for 2007. It's even cheaper (per day) than the 7day we're going on in September.

Whatever you decide, you'll love it.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

I wonder why they are so much cheaper. The only down-side is that the kids will miss six days of school, but if they keep up independently, they should be okay. I think where the costs really add up for me is shore excursions and the bar bill. I will just have to try to keep those costs down. How many formal nights; three?

I personally like a 8 or 9 night cruise best. I agree, 7 days is a bit short (once you've experienced the longer ones), but having done a 14 nighter once, that was a little too long. By day 10 or so we were getting antsy to get off the ship already.

8,9 or even 10 would be PERFECT!!! Go for it !!!

You'll never catch me on a 3 or 4 night sailing- I just don't get that ??? LOL ! I wouldnt want to pack and do all of that work for such a short trip - of course thats just my opinion.

Gina

My husband and I are 31 and 32 respectively.

We had previously been on spring/early summer 7-day cruises.

For our November 2003 honeymoon, we booked a 10-day cruise on Princess - the Caribbean and partial transit of the Panama Canal. We thought the itinerary was cool and the price was right.

What our TA failed to mention was that in off-season, longer cruises definitely tend to attract a MUCH OLDER clientele (who can afford to take 10 days off during regualar work time?).

We were only one of 3 honeymoon couples on the ship - and this may sound terrible but after the muster drill on the first day, my new hubby said to me "Baby we may have a problem." When I asked what, he replied "Honey, these people are pushing their own oxygen."

We had asked to be seated with another couple during dinner - we figured we'd try traditional seating - and they seated us with a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. They were nice - but they prayed before the meal. It was a bit much for us so after that we only used Personal Choice dining.

Since you will be busy with your kids I don't think this will be a problem - but there may not be many kids for your kids to play with.

We still had fun - but our honeymoon wasn't the dream it could have been. The activities on the ship were geared toward a much older crowd and nightlife was dead. But now I know - more than 7 days in the off season just means to expect your fellow passengers to be on the older side.

The cruise still sounds great though. Good luck.

I have been on a lot of cruises, but all of them being seven days. In looking for a cruise to bring my 17 year and ten year old kids on with me, I found a phenomenal deal on a ten day January Southern Caribbean out of New York City. It would actually be cheaper for us to take this one, then to fly to Florida and take a seven day one. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Christine

We are doing an 11 day our of NY on 2/18 on the DAWN with 2 17 year olds. The price is great, it will be partially over vacation so the girls will only miss 4 days of school at the most. The DAWN has self laundrettes, so we can do laundry if we need to. I think we'll love the longer cruise, and not feel quite so rushed to see everything.:)

We've done two longer cruises - one Hawaii and one Panama Canal full transit and yes the clientel was a lot older than us but we had a great time! THey are our most memeorable cruises and would love to do a long one again but time does not allow - do it while you can! :) The 10-11 nights is perfect - just enough time to get enough and want to get off the ship - although I think I could stay on for a month!!!!

We got lucky on our Hawaii cruise - I took Carnival hoping for a younger crowd and we had 3 other couples celebrating their 20 anniversary (we were celebrating our 10th) and they were around 40 and we were 30 and there was one girl that was 27 or so on with her older mom which was so cool!! A couple of single guys from Vancover and we had a whole group that stayed up till 4am on the sea days back to Vancover - it was cold we all slept in!! :D :eek:

Debbie

Christine

I think you'll be ok, I always cruise when school is in session and there always seem to be quite a few children of all ages aboard.

One ship had a Kids club where they were all able to gather and meet each other under supervision and enjoy each others company.

As for a 10 day being too long??? hehehehe Not for me! :-) and as long as the kids keep occupied you should be alright as well :-)

Christine

10 days to me is just perfect as many have already pointed out. I personally am booked on a 11 nighter out of NYC this Oct (HAL Noordam). Your kids will enjoy it. What ship again? Spirit or Dawn?

Love longer cruises - and haven't been bored yet.

We have 25 nights coming up in Nov on Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore through the Suez.

Next March, 23 nights on Golden Princess, Valparaiso to San Francisco.

My husband and I are 31 and 32 respectively.

We had previously been on spring/early summer 7-day cruises.

For our November 2003 honeymoon, we booked a 10-day cruise on Princess - the Caribbean and partial transit of the Panama Canal. We thought the itinerary was cool and the price was right.

What our TA failed to mention was that in off-season, longer cruises definitely tend to attract a MUCH OLDER clientele (who can afford to take 10 days off during regualar work time?).

What she also failed to mention was that Princess and the Panama Canal Cruises attract an older crowd;) Cruises out of NY and NCL have a much different demographic.

I would love to do the February 18 cruise, but it is about $1100 p.p., where January 13 is only $504 p.p!!! They will miss six days, and the teachers always frown at me, but travel is so educational and that if that is the only way that I can afford to do it.

Ten days is PERFECT!!!! Especially in the winter months when you are leaving from NYC.....you still get that "entire week" of sunshine and warmth...with a day or so at "each end" to enjoy the ship itself!!!

My DH and I have been on two 10 day cruises , with a third coming up this December, and we love them!! They are sooooo relaxing..and we now find it hard to go back to 7 days. I agree with Smellytoes.....7 day cruises are a tease!!! LOL!!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

So so so much to say but I'll try to be brief.

My husband and I are 31 and 32 respectively. For our November 2003 honeymoon, we booked a 10-day cruise on Princess - the Caribbean and partial transit of the Panama Canal.
Panama Canal cruises are usually repositioning cruises at off peak times. It's pretty common knowledge that you'll have an older demographic.
It's unfortunate that you didn't have a better TA that should have informed you about something so basic as the demographics of the cruisers especially since it was your honeymoon.
We were only one of 3 honeymoon couples on the ship - and this may sound terrible but after the muster drill on the first day, my new hubby said to me "Baby we may have a problem." When I asked what, he replied "Honey, these people are pushing their own oxygen."
What was the problem? I'd think that because you were on your honeymoon, you wouldn't be looking to interact with too many other passengers.
We had asked to be seated with another couple during dinner - we figured we'd try traditional seating - and they seated us with a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. They were nice - but they prayed before the meal. It was a bit much for us so after that we only used Personal Choice dining.
Again, not sure what the problem was. They said a prayer. OK. They didn't force you to pray did they? I've found that spending time with older people is a great educational experience. I'm about to be 36...I guess I'm OLDER to someone in their early 20s.

To Host Cecilia:

Well said about interacting with seniors. I was once on a plane to Malaga, Spain with a couple of elderly ladies and I had the most amazing conversations ever. I was travelling with my 15 month old and these ladies were so sweet to talk to. They even provided me with loads of trip advises.:D

they seated us with a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. They were nice - but they prayed before the meal. It was a bit much for us

The partners that stay together 50 years usually aren't the prayer phobic ones.

To get through marriage, you just gotta say "Lord have Mercy!"

The couple that prays together, stays together!

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

Again, not sure what the problem was. They said a prayer. OK. They didn't force you to pray did they? I've found that spending time with older people is a great educational experience. I'm about to be 36...I guess I'm OLDER to someone in their early 20s.

I certainly agree with you that spending time with older people is a great educational experience. No argument there. However, I understand Bubbaloo311's feeling put out or awkward by the couple praying at the table. You don't have to be forced to participate to feel awkward.

We were on the Dawn 10 day Feb. 2005 NOT during a school vacation and it was definitely a much older crowd. We were 3 couples in our 50s and did not need to depend on the ship's activities for fun... dead crowd, with the bars and clubs empty.

Having said that, a 10 day cruise to the S. Car is the best! Five beautiful islands to enjoy and 2 nice days on deck, with 2 cold days at sea. If you don't think your kids will be bored, it's a wonderful trip.

BTW, if you do your 'homework' there's lots to do on the islands without taking the ship's excursions. You can get to most beaches and places of interest by taxi ... a big savings... Drinks are another matter, the Dawn makes the best pina coladas, cosmos, margaritas, and martinis!!:rolleyes:

Archived