Accessible Junior Suite on FOS

ThysFamily

Hi Folks - we just booked 1328 on Freedom - an accessible JS. My mother does not need a wheel chair for short distances but anything more than 5 minutes on her feet she needs a chair. She uses a cane mostly. Has anyone been in this cabin? She is bringing a light-weight wc with her. This is her first cruise and we want to make it as comfortable as possible. Can anyone offer suggestions/tips as what to do/bring so that there is no physical stress on her?

Thanks!

Nadine

Have you considered renting her a scooter? A manual chair is difficult to push on your own around the ship, although invaluable for shore excursions. A scooter would give her more freedom and help her not feel she is burdening the rest of you by needing you to push her everywhere.

I do think a scooter would be great. However, she has some vision issues too and does not feel comfortable "driving" a scooter - I do think she would be dangerous and knock people and things down. We don't mind pushing her - did 5 days at Disney and didn't mind too much. My husband and I take turns pushing. Thanks for the suggestion - I should have mentioned the vision issue in my original post.:)

Also, you probably don't need a HC JS if your mom can walk short distances...the door to JS and above is wide enough for wheelchairs to enter the room....folded wheelchair takes up minimal space in a JS.... you will also give up a nice sized bathtub/shower for a roll in shower w/ flip down seat....HC rooms are also only in certain areas, while with regular JS you can get HUMP/Aft cabins if available...

Either way I'm sure you'll have a great time:)

Archived