Walkie-Talkies?

evert9

Do you use walkie-talkies on your cruise? Do they work well? What kind do you use?

DH and I are on opposite schedules and without having to plan out our day entirely on where to meet and when, we thought this may be an option since cell phones won't work. Thanks!

After seeing a lot of people using them, we took them on our Baltic cruise last May. Very helpful. We have Motorola upto 10 miles. We are planning to take them on out next cruise. The only problem using them on the ship is a lot of other people could be on the channel and we keep hearing other conersations and keep changing channels. Otherwise they are great. My DH like them that he is not loosing me while we shop.

My only experience with walkie talkies was on a cruise with my family and my sil the organizer, who insisted on walkie talkies. I will never do that again!:eek:

If you really need to be in touch then go ahead. They work very well on the ships. The walkie talkies we used were more like toys, inexpensive and worked great.

I think we paid in the range of $100.00 for ours. But I HATE them and I try not to say hate.

Always trying to find a clear channel. Don't work well on the ship unless you are outside.

I think they are more trouble than they are worth. But that is just my thoughts.

Don

It also doesn't work so well if it's in the cabin, but then again if you are in the cabin, you should be accessible by cabin phones.

What we do is bring a lot of Post-Its. If the person you are looking for is not in his/her room, just leave a Post-It on his/her door and let him/her know where you'll be in the next 30 minutes. I do the same for DH and the kids. It's easier to leave messages on the door than leaving them messages somewhere on the table.

Do you use walkie-talkies on your cruise? Do they work well? What kind do you use?

We've used them on every cruise. They work pretty good as long as you know how to use them. Most all of the newer ones have channels and sub-channels. If you utilize the sub-channels you will probably not have to worry about anyone else being on the same channel as you are. Also, please use courtesy when using them. If your sitting in the theater or dining room, please turn them off or set them to vibrate. Just like cell phones, most others dont want to hear the conversations. Most importantly, please dont give them to small children as a way to keep an eye on them. Most of the complaints people have about them is when a bunch of kids are standing next to each other, talking to each other on them....

Some of the newer NEXTEL phones have a feature called direct talk that works even if you have no servce. We used it on our last cruise and it worked great plus they are not on the same channels as those two way radios so we had no trouble with otheres on our channel.

Thanks everyone!! DH and I plan to just use them when one of us is around one of the pools and the other has just gotten up out of bed or is doing something else. We'll use them sparingly (and with lots of consideration for those around us) but they'll be nice just to have. I'm a wanderer so it'll mostly be DH trying to keep up with me :).

I think the Post It notes is a good idea but again, since I wander, I don't want to go back to the cabin every 30 minutes with an update. We'll see how they work. I'll probably get the 10 mile range ones I saw at Target for $59. I'm also doing a girls cruise on Celebrity in November with 15 of us so they should be handy then too. Will have to read up on how to use them properly.

Thanks for the info on the substations!

If you decide you really want them, K9COP gives good advice on courtesy.

But, keeping track of each other is easier then you might think. Using Highlighters on the Patters to indicate which activites you are going to do, and leaving notes on post it notes works great as does setting up regular times to meet up.

Even with four of us going all different directions, we've never had trouble connecting with each other.

whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.:)

They are very helpful but more so with a large group than a couple. They work very well.

Now my standard post on this:

First be prepared to be flamed here(you've already gotten a little of that) but maybe the advice I will offer will reduce it. When used inappropriately walkie talkies are a big annoyance to other passengers.

Yes, walkie talkies work well on board but you must get the 5 mile or higher kind. There may be some dead spots but very few.

Here's the advice:

1) Get the ones with a vibrate call feature and use them on vibrate ONLY.

2) Turn OFF the chirp.

3) Instruct all users they don't need to yell into them.

4) DO NOT let the kids use them as toys. Use them for important communications only and limit the conversations.

5) DO NOT use them in the regular dining room, elevators or during shows.

Happy cruising.

They work great while in ports too. While walking around the shops we get separated and can easily find one another with them.

Heck I don't find them anoying at all unless someone is trying to blow out the speaker on it by having it turned up as loud as it will go. I find things like people trying to cram into the elevator as soon as the door begins to open instead of letting those that need to get out first have a chance to do so much more anoying!

How about other more annoying things than walkie-talkies:

1) Chair hogs

2) People who look over each item in the buffet line for 10 minutes blocking the line

3) Smokers who don't follow the rules

4) People who go ahead of you when waiting for an elevator

5) Storing wheelchairs/walkers in the hall (emergency egress hazard)

6) People who are rude to the staff without reason

7) People looking for compensation for the littlest of things.

I don't use them and IMHO I wish no else would either....THEY ARE ANOYING!

Thanks for the answer that you don't use them. Yelling was not appropriate for this post.

Perhaps your experience was around those that didn't know how to be polite. The ones we've purchased vibrate and also have earphones which I plan to use.

They are very helpful but more so with a large group than a couple. They work very well.

Now my standard post on this:

First be prepared to be flamed here(you've already gotten a little of that) but maybe the advice I will offer will reduce it. When used inappropriately walkie talkies are a big annoyance to other passengers.

Yes, walkie talkies work well on board but you must get the 5 mile or higher kind. There may be some dead spots but very few.

Here's the advice:

1) Get the ones with a vibrate call feature and use them on vibrate ONLY.

2) Turn OFF the chirp.

3) Instruct all users they don't need to yell into them.

4) DO NOT let the kids use them as toys. Use them for important communications only and limit the conversations.

5) DO NOT use them in the regular dining room, elevators or during shows.

Happy cruising.

Thanks for the points. Yes, I did see some flames - talk about annoying :). In any case, I'll make sure that DH understands how to use them too. We really won't be needing them all that much but do want to get in contact with each other if we can't find one another. We're on vacation - I live by schedules in my everyday life and really don't want to "plan" my vacation out to the hour or activity if I decide not to do one afterall.

Thanks again!! We're excited to leave this week.

We've used them on all of our vacations including cruises and they are great just to keep in touch with companions. What we do to get a message through so that you know who you are talking to is use a code name for the day so that you aren't constanly answering others messages needlessly. A lot of people use them so it's a good way to get your message through. As with anything some people don't care about being intrusive and constantly chatter away on them (mostly kids from my experience).

I would observe that I find that the people who yak on their walkie-talkies (as well as their cel phones) on a cruise ship really are annoying.

If you feel that you really must keep in touch with whoever it is that you cannot be with on the ship, PLEASE go somewhere semi-private to do this. I would not suggest that parents not keep track of their kids this way, but I would expect the kids to be someplace on the ship that's "kid-noisey" anyway. It is the parents who would be at the pool with the walkie-talkie that is at the pool dech with the other adults. Perhaps an earphone would solve this?

I have noticed that over the last couple of cruises, people whip out their cel phones as soon as they're in port, and whip out there little two-way radios at sea and yak-yak-yak poolside etc.

Perhaps it's just me, but one of the things that I like about cruises is that cel phones etc don't work at sea. (although I understand the cruise lines are spending a lot of money to ruin that for me.)

Please let cruising remain peaceful and if you must bring your electronic comunicators, use them somewhere fairly private.

Thanks,

Thanks for the answer that you don't use them. Yelling was not appropriate for this post.

Perhaps your experience was around those that didn't know how to be polite. The ones we've purchased vibrate and also have earphones which I plan to use.

I would observe that I find that the people who yak on their walkie-talkies (as well as their cel phones) on a cruise ship really are annoying.

If you feel that you really must keep in touch with whoever it is that you cannot be with on the ship, PLEASE go somewhere semi-private to do this. I would not suggest that parents not keep track of their kids this way, but I would expect the kids to be someplace on the ship that's "kid-noisey" anyway. It is the parents who would be at the pool with the walkie-talkie that is at the pool dech with the other adults. Perhaps an earphone would solve this?

I have noticed that over the last couple of cruises, people whip out their cel phones as soon as they're in port, and whip out there little two-way radios at sea and yak-yak-yak poolside etc.

Perhaps it's just me, but one of the things that I like about cruises is that cel phones etc don't work at sea. (although I understand the cruise lines are spending a lot of money to ruin that for me.)

Please let cruising remain peaceful and if you must bring your electronic comunicators, use them somewhere fairly private.

Thanks,

We brought a pair with us last year & didn't use them (it was just the two of us). As others have said, we were together most of the time or used notes.

Akita, Cingular already has the cruise customers in mind...I was told Cingular phones can be used ON BOARD (although why anyone would want to is beyond me). Maybe the cruiselines will have a "cellphone" area, similar to a "smoking" area...:rolleyes:

Hubby and I took them on our first cruise and plan on taking them again on this one!

Sometimes we want to do different things and they really came in handy. We weren't fanatical about using them though and only used them when we felt we had to, but they aren't the annoying ones that chirp when you press the button. They are made by motorola and all I can tell you is that they are yellow and have a very long range. I think they were advertised as a camper/hiker walkie talkie. They're rechargeable or you can use batteries.

I definitely reccommend using them especially if it's just the two of you, it gives you the comfort of having the hubby there even if he isnt!

RJG41, right on with both of your posts!! I could probably add a couple more to your list, but I won't go there!

Thanks,

:cool: We were on the 7/11 Crown cruise and I am sure people on that cruise who had the walkie-talkies were using them like crazy to locate their families/friends after the list.....IF we ever go on another cruise....we will definitely take walkie-talkies to keep track of everyone we are with.

We always use our Midland Walkie Talkies-- and they work great from anywhere on the ship-- we also got great reception off the ship in port. Bring extra batteries in case you are dumb enough like me to leave it on all night while we were both asleep in the cabin-- otherwise its really expensive to buy batteries onboard.

We love ours. Have carried them on last 2 cruises. Hubby likes to play the Volleyball, basketball, sports things, and I like the music, tea-time and crafts on ship. Lots of times he does his thing and I do mine and we keep in touch with where and when we will meet for lunch, break, etc. Heck, I've even used mine in a Super Wal-Mart on vacation when hubby wandered off and the store I was not used to and did not feel like walking the whole store looking for him. One click of the WT and bingo, his voice told me where he was and we met up within seconds. Saved a lot of frustration and walking all over. Our's is also the 5 mile radius. Never had a problem hearing on ship. Ours vibrates also and has a belt hang for your loop which is great. They are a great investment on and off vacations of all kinds. You will certainly get your money's worth. We use camping, at the beach, just about wherever we are. Enjoy your cruise. We are sailing in October on the CB. First time with Princess. SO........... looking forward to it!

Hughbud

Archived