Offered Upgrade, Should I Take It???

We are sailing in one week (2 adults and 1 child) and RCCL just called to offer an upgrade from Superior Balcony cabin to a J.S. on the same floor 10th. The difference is of course the size of the room, but this is a handicap room ( what should I expect, I hear it is a little larger than the normal J.S.) and our current room was near the back of the ship and this is near the front. Yes there is a cost difference, is the J.S. worth the $1200. upgrade?? :rolleyes: Help- I need to call them back

All your thoughts please---- What would you experienced cruisers do??

If they are offering u an upgrade, are u sure there is a charge? We have been offered upgrades last minute and never had to pay. Personally, I don't like the back or the front of a ship. I prefer midship.:)

We are sailing in one week (2 adults and 1 child) and RCCL just called to offer an upgrade from Superior Balcony cabin to a J.S. on the same floor 10th. The difference is of course the size of the room, but this is a handicap room ( what should I expect, I hear it is a little larger than the normal J.S.) and our current room was near the back of the ship and this is near the front. Yes there is a cost difference, is the J.S. worth the $1200. upgrade?? :rolleyes: Help- I need to call them back

All your thoughts please---- What would you experienced cruisers do??

If you have to pay that amount, I can't really see that you are being offered an upgrade. :confused:

That amount could pay for a lot of great things to do on the cruise instead.

I too have never heard of RCI 'offering' a $1200 upgrade . . . is it possible that it's a misunderstanding, and it's actually free?

If not, I probably wouldn't do it. I don't think that 'near the front' is any better or worse than 'near the back,' and I'm a big fan of Junior Suites, but that's a big chunk to pay at the last minute when you were perfectly happy with the room you had.

That being said . . . if it is free . . . go for it !!!! :D

I have heard alot of people say they do not like to have rooms up in the front of the ship. I would keep your D1 Cat by the back and have a great time :) Unless you want to pay a extra $1,200.Good Luck .

Kimberly

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

I probably shouldn't have said "Upgrade". I requested to be upgraded to a J.S. when it became available. It did, now they are contacting me to see if I am still interested. I had hoped that it wouldn't be $1200 though. But since the ship is sold out on suites and balconys they really are not giving any deals. I kinda wanted feedback on whether the J.S. is worth the $1200 at this point for the extra room and I have never stayed toward the front even though it is really not at the front. Suite #1544- EOS, check it out, what should I do. I know I think I also get 2 credits toward C & A for booking a suite too, RIght? $1200 is a lot but for 9 nights that is @ $130 more a night. Hummmm- don't know what to do, will the superior balcony room be big enough for us?

Thanks for your comments:D

Lori

I probably shouldn't have said "Upgrade". I requested to be upgraded to a J.S. when it became available. It did, now they are contacting me to see if I am still interested. I had hoped that it wouldn't be $1200 though. But since the ship is sold out on suites and balconys they really are not giving any deals. I kinda wanted feedback on whether the J.S. is worth the $1200 at this point for the extra room and I have never stayed toward the front even though it is really not at the front. Suite #1544- EOS, check it out, what should I do. I know I think I also get 2 credits toward C & A for booking a suite too, RIght? $1200 is a lot but for 9 nights that is @ $130 more a night. Hummmm- don't know what to do, will the superior balcony room be big enough for us?

Just my opinion but $1200 is a lot for 91 sq feet extra space. DH and I have cruised on explorer and voyager with our DD we had a cat D1 on each and it was fine space wise the only thing that can make it a little tight is the pull out couch. We will be sailing on explorer again in october and will be in a D1 again this time. Whatever you decide you will have a great time. Explorer is absolutly beautiful and there is soo much to do you will rarely see your cabin.

Have a great cruise

Anna

from someone who of necessity uses a handicapped room and have been in a handicapped js - I say don't do it. you get more space, but in either case one of you has to sleep on the sofa bed. junior suites have only 2 beds and a sofa bed. as far as "looking" handicapped, the bathroom is twice the size to accomodate turning a wheel chair inside. the shower is "roll in" flat with a fold down seat and there are grab bars for both the shower and the toilet. the vanity is raised enough to allow a wheelchair to roll up under it. but I certainly don't think it is worth over $100/day difference. enjoy what you have, and spend the money elsewhere.:)

I wouldn't take a handicapped JS--I doubt there is a tub--handicapped rooms usually have showers with no "lip" to catch the water. Also, the toilet is most likely higher than normal and is most uncomfortable! Now, if it was a regular JS--I'd say go for it! They are great rooms!

If you look at the deck plans, that room adjoins another. I have read that because of the door in your cabin leading to the adjoining cabin, you lose space. You also might be able to hear more noise? That is only what I read. I would never have a cabin that adjoins another, so I do not know for sure.:confused:

EDIT: My brother was given a handicapped hotel room once. The closets were very different. The clothes bars were much lower and they could not hang long garments such as pants and dresses. I do not know about a cabin closet.

I wasn't offered an upgrade but found out that the difference between my D1 and JS was $100 for 2 of us...(after constantly nosing on the RCI website.) Called my TA...Yes...$100.00 to upgrade for a 5 day (Explorer to Bermuda 9/3)..$20.00 a day was worth it. And this was two weeks after final payment was made.( We booked on 7/18)

Also had booked 9 day Explorer (10/20) in a D2...again, nosing around about two months ago..found JS upgrade for $240.00 for 2....yes, booked that also.

$1200 to upgrade is a lot...and I've never had my TA call to ask if I wanted to upgrade for more $$. I've done guarantees and was upgraded at no charge.

In your case, I'd keep what you have...just seems like too much $$.

Pam

Thanks for all your input. I had hoped as I got closer to cruise time that RCCL would be more motivated on their pricing for a J.S. but this is the same price as they were offering as when I originally booked. I guess because all balcony and suites are sold out they are not willing to negotiate in price. So thanks to all your advice, we have decided to stay with our superior balcony room (D1) and use the money on something else, next cruise, ship pass, etc. Thanks Again! :)

Lori

Are you sure that you are being offered an upgrade?......Or an upsell?......An upgrade would be something free while an upsell you would pay a cheaper price between the 2 categories in question to get the better room. Although, personally, even it it were an upsell, $1200 is really steep, and probably not worth it.......I could think of hundreds of other ways to enjoy my $1200 on vacation, better yet, if you wanna go in an inside cabin, could pretty much cover th cost of another cruise :eek:. Happy cruisin!

Archived