Top 5 stops on Road to Hana

crzn4fun

I'd be interested to hear what others had to say about this as well since I'm going in April.

I did hear A couple things from a co-worker who did the Hana loop last year ...

• Definitely go all the way around if the roads are open.
  • The Blue Pool (you'll see it in the revealed book I believe) costs you like 2 hours getting several miles down a dirt road, $5 to park on someone's lawn, short walk, look around and then back. She recommended skipping it.
  • 7 Sacred Pools are apparently only accessible about 50% of the time.

On the Road to Hana, but be sure and do not miss Wainapanapa State Park and its Black Sand Beach! It is located almost to Hana and is an incredibly beautiful site with lava tubes, arches, blow hole, etc. Also there is a waterfall that you have to walk about a half mile to get to that we swam under (near a bridge closer to the beginning of the trip) but I don't recall the name of it. Hana itself is very small but go to the beach area there and the church as well as drive to see Lindberg's grave. The road to th 7 Sacred Pools was not accessible the day we went :( and we were afraid we would run out of time so didn't go the whole way around and just went back the way we came to make our ship in time for sailing away that afternoon.

1. The Half-way to Hana store for refreshments. The small loaves of banana bread are a must.

2. The Blue Pool only takes about an hour total, depending on how long you stay. It is worth it in MHO, seeing the rocky shore there, and swimming in the cool and beautiful Blue Pool.

3. Black Sand beach. I believe it's the same one that lambs2 referred to as Wainapanapa State Park.

4. Seven Pools has never been closed when I have been there, but there were advisories one time because of strong wind. We had fun there diving from rocks into one of the deep pools.

5. Lindberg's grave.

I am not aware that the roads are ever closed going around the south side of Maui, but it's worth the extra time to see the arid side.

The Blue Pool (you'll see it in the revealed book I believe) costs you like 2 hours getting several miles down a dirt road, $5 to park on someone's lawn, short walk, look around and then back. She recommended skipping it.

Here's a link to the update page for the Revealed books:

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauupdate.html

They specifically address the situation about the Blue Pool. It's a shame, when I was there several years ago none of this was an issue. (The only real issue you had was that there was one dip in the road that could be entertaining for normal cars, relatively close to the end). It's a shame, I thought it was a nice waterfall, although I've seen several other people pan it, so I kinda wonder if it's changed some.

Keep in mind I wasn't panning it ... and I've not been there myself. Only relaying what I heard from someone who was there last year. She made the trek to the Blue Pool based on the revealed book (which is now on loan to me.) On the flip, jmo1 said it's only an hour and it's worth the trip. When were you there jmo1?

While nice, I think the road to Hana is HIGHLY over-rated especially considering the amount of time it takes.

Go past Kannapoli and drive around the other end of the Island. It is beautiful. However, the roads are VERY narrow but much less traveled.

I've never heard of the road to o'heo gulch (aka 'Seven Sacred Pools') being closed. It's not a separate spur road, but the main road past Hana. In fact, one bridge on the road is across the gulch.

I suppose it's possible that it was briefly closed because of a washout or something, but I wouldn't be concerned. It's definitely a top place to stop.

What's odd is - aside from o'heo gulch there isn't in my mind another "must see" thing. It's whatever interests you, and the conditions during your drive. I've driven it when there are almost no waterfalls along the way thanks to a long-term drought. Other times the waterfalls are brown, massive torrents thanks to recent rain in the watershed above the road.

Not only that, but there might be heavy downpours in one small section of the road that makes you seriously consider just driving on for a few miles back to sunny skies.

The best bet is to look at the Revealed books closely, circle the items you think might appeal to you the most, and try a few.

Yeah, most of our Hana trips have been pretty unscructured precisely because of the vagaries of weather, etc. It's a lot more fun that way for us, btw.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have cancelled the OLL we had planned to attend on the evening of the first day so we won't have to rush back. I have already rented a car because I was afraid with our timing of the week between Christmas and New Year's that there might be a shortage of convertibles. Hopefully it won't rain on us. My DDs (15 & 19) have never ridden in a convertible!

Has anyone tried a luau on Kauai? My in-laws are taking us on this cruise to celebrate their 50th anniversary. We are a party of 11. I had booked the OLL as a nice dinner for all of us to be able to enjoy as a family. I am hoping to book one on Kauai instead. I understand from the Revealed books that the OLL is the closest to authentic, but I think we will still have a good time.

piper, thanks for the link to the updates for the Revealed books. I'll take a look at that soon.

sceptic, we like our trips to be leisurely also. I don't like to be rushed, that's why I asked on another thread if both the Road and OLL were doable on the same day. I think we will enjoy the slow pace of this drive. I am used to driving in the mountains and enjoy it alot. I have asked my DH if he would mind if I drove and he said no, that he would enjoy being able to see the scenery for a change!

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

just came back from 7 day POH cruise--- we did the road to hana and frankly it was enjoyable but was our least favorite day of the cruise--- the road is long and the while the scenery was nice--- nothing better than the rest of the islands--- if you go be sure to go all the way around ( i frankly thought the drive around was easier and prettier than the drive there--- the two best stops are the black sand state park ( that was a wow) and the seven sacred pools)--- we made few other stops ( for time sake and the turnoffs were crowded)--- the three bear waterfall is nice and is seen right off the road--- in retrospect I would have skipped the road and gone to iao park

Keep in mind I wasn't panning it ... and I've not been there myself. Only relaying what I heard from someone who was there last year. She made the trek to the Blue Pool based on the revealed book (which is now on loan to me.) On the flip, jmo1 said it's only an hour and it's worth the trip. When were you there jmo1?

I was at the Blue Pool once in 2001 and once in 2004. The second time I did pay to park in a small lot on private property. The payment was on an honor system at that time. All the land in that area is private, so the owners decided to cash in on the tourists that Maui Revealed is throwing their way. There was only one other couple at the pool the first time, and a handfull of people the second time.

Archived