Aft balcony or mini suite

ck53

I could use some help, in more ways than one! But we are booking a cruise for next August on the Crown and we are stuck between two types of cabins, aft balcony or a mini suite. I can't decide between the extra space in the actual cabin or the extended balcony and the view of an aft cabin. The cruise is for 9 days. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have the same dilemma! We're currently booked in C753 on Crown (aft BB) but I still keep eyeing those mini's! We were in a mini on Star and loved it. Some people don't because of the exposed balconies. But, I actually liked being able to lay out in the sun on the equally large mini balcony. No fighting for a deck chair!! We decided to try the aft cabin but...

Question: How much time do you plan to spend in your cabin?

If the answer is 'quite a lot' then definitely go with the mini. There are perks associated with it that will not be offered to you in a balcony cabin.

If the answer is, 'not much', we just shower and sleep there, then go with the balcony cabin.

That really is the only question!

If you spend a lot of time in your cabin, or you like to entertain in your cabin then go with the mini-suite/suite. Most of them are located at the right places in terms of the ship balance etc. so that does not become an issue. And for those who real;ly like the aft suites most ships now have them as well.

But if you sleep, shower, change and do a little reading or TV in your cabin then just get a balcony cabin. It'll get everything done for you and with a little room and comfort.

Just my thoughts.

Tom and Deb:)

• 8 months later...

I have an Aft Balcony on Crown Princess for November. I am trying to decide on upgrading also to a mini-suite.

Can you email me when you get back and let me know what you did.

Have a great trip

We loved E731 on CB last month. Most aft cabin, but larger, covered balcony with side and back views. This was a mini. There wasn't much a difference in "perks" to me as we had a balcony two years ago. Perhaps better toiletries? Nothing else that we got, but we did have a bathtub.

As other posters have indicated, if you can get one of the last minis toward the rear on the Emerald deck, grab it. Minisuite is larger with full bath. Emerald deck are covered but you still get sun unless it is blocked by the ship in which case no cabins on that side would get any sun. The last mini on each side has a double sized balcony with both side and rear view. You need to check the deck plans since the cabin numbers are not the same on every ship.

I was a little surprised to see this post pop up again!:) But since the original post, we booked a mini on Dolphin w/ the extended balcony. I also booked an aft balcony for my daughter and family, so I now have the best of both worlds!

Sfilbert

I will be happy to post when we return!

I hope you are aware that the last minisuite on Dolphin is configured as a handicap-accessible cabin even though it is not listed as such (too far from the elevator or some such thing). There is a large roll-in shower, no tub. The beds are in an L-configuration. I have seen posts that said that the beds could be reconfigured, and others that said they couldn't.

I have the same dilemma! We're currently booked in C753 on Crown (aft BB) but I still keep eyeing those mini's! We were in a mini on Star and loved it. Some people don't because of the exposed balconies. But, I actually liked being able to lay out in the sun on the equally large mini balcony. No fighting for a deck chair!! We decided to try the aft cabin but...

I am confused. What do you mean by exposed? We are wait-listed for a mini on the Sun Princess. Can people look down onto one's mini-balcony?

I am confused. What do you mean by exposed? We are wait-listed for a mini on the Sun Princess. Can people look down onto one's mini-balcony?

Not covered in any way. Completely open for anyone looking down to see and no shade from the sun.

On the Sun Princess, the only minis that would have this issue are the ones on the stern, and with those you would not be visible unless you were at the railing...

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but I thought I read recently that the aft cabins don't have the large extended balconies on the Crown or Emerald. You may want to research this if the larger balcony is what you're interested in being aft.

Caribe #753 is a great cabin. Even though it may not show on the deck plan, this cabin wraps around the side of the ship a bit and has 2 chairs, one table and one chaise lounge on it. The view off the back of the ship is awsome. It's covered, so great for Alaska or Tropics. You walk out your door and turn right to an emergency exit, which takes you directly to your muster station. We've had the stern cabin on Emerald deck as well and it is also very nice, but the first mini-suite at the stern(either side) of Emerald Deck is the best. There you have the space, the view and the cover.... Good luck!!

Sun Princess is a different class of ship than what is being discussed here. The AC minisuites will be covered, but the balcony is narrow. I'm not as sure about the AB minisuites located aft.

From what I have read,my daughter's aft balcony is large, like Caribe deck. Plus they will have a great view. It is also covered. She will be happy, she's not paying;) Now, if I can only fiqure out what that huge white thing is next to her. There have been so many conflicting stories that the vent makes it noisy, smelly,dirty, etc. On the other hand, some have said it is a great balcony. We'll find out!

Spongerob,

Thanks, I did see pictures and I am aware that there is no tub. Princess said the bed can be arranged both ways but it is roomier w/ twins. We are going to try the queen and if we don't like it we will switch. I booked it mainly for the extended balcony. Thanks again!

Uncovered balconies;

Some people book the uncovered balconies for different reasons.

I think it comes down to personal preference. On Dolphin deck some might want the extra space in the bathroom, some might want the couch and if w/ kids some might want the 2 TV's! Just remember to keep your clothes on!

I have had both. I like them equally. I have E730 on the Crown booked in September '07 and I have C752 on the Crown booked for June '08. In the Summer of '06 we did a back to back Alaska cruise on the Sapphire. We had an Aft balcony NB and an AD mini SB. In retrospect, because of the spectacular scenery in Alaska, I'd give the edge to the Aft balcony on that cruise.

If the Grand Class ships had Aft minisuites, it would be a nobrainer for me.

Archived