Alaska with kids: Norwegian or Holland America?

snbptrsn

Hi: We have a group of 21 with kids 6-18 yrs. going to Alaska next July on either Holland America Noordam or the Brand New Norwegian Pearl. The Pearl looks real "glitzy" and I like the idea of a more old fashioned cruise on the Noordam. Any thoughts on taking kids on either of these lines/ships to Alaska?

Thanks

We just got back from a cruise on Holland America's Veendam. Our 6 year old loved Club Hal and had a terrific time. The staff was great. She'd come back to the cabin tired, happy and ready to go to Club Hal again the next day. She was actually disappointed when she had to go on shore excursions with us!

I don't know what they offer for older kids. This was our first cruise so I can't compare Holland America with any other cruise line. I do know that Holland America's Club Hal gets a big thumbs up from Kaylee.

mostly because of the Freestyle dining. We took our 3 kids (then aged 10 to 15) on NCL's Sun in March and we loved the way the dining worked. We could go and eat when we wanted (and when we were ready!) rather than having to plan our activities around our dining time.

Our kids did not use the kids' club but it appeared to be well run and organized. There were lots of activities - scavenger hunts, sports contests, craft sessions, etc. - to keep all of us busy.

NCL also has "family pricing" on some room combinations which made them more affordable for us. (we are taking my parents as well so we were able to book an AB suite for us and the adjoining AF for my parents for 50% off of the regular price) If you look at the Norwegian board, there are a few threads discussing the various special family pricing options.

If this isn't going to be a "frequent" trip to Alaska, you might want to make "Alaska" the priority. Kids will have a great time on any cruise. :) Significant is the itinerary. NCL does include Glacier Bay but if your HAL selection goes out of Vancouver, that would be my pick.

My kids have sailed Alaska on 4 different lines, had a great time on all. :)

We have a group of 11 (family/friends) with a 5 and 3 year old. We chose the Pearl b/c it's brand new and looks really neat. We've done Carnival's kids' program and I've heard good things about NCL. The Pearl offers so many choices on the restaurants, etc. We also wanted to stop in Victoria.

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way.

Archived