August 7-16, 2006 Crown Princess Cruise Eastern Port Review

Sandytoes

I just returned and feel I have to start my first review on the Ports.

Grand Turk port - Beach was right smack in front of the ship. So, we decided to take a cab for $6 p/p each way to Governor's Beach. Glad we did that. The view was much better and the beach was alot cleaner. Not good for snorkeling. A very relaxing kind of beach. Then we headed back to the Grand Turk Cruise Center and went directly to then pool...Wasn't interested in shopping....The pool is quiet big...Lots of lounge chairs with umbrelllas....Loud music and "ladies" contest if you know what I mean....Didn't stay long had to be back on ship before 2pm...Short stay.... But before I left I had to try Jimmy Buffet's famous drink....Yumm! Was that good.....

San Juan - I am not impressed with this port at all. Everything is far away. We asked the locals on which beach to head to and they said Isla Verda. Well, that was a mistake. Cab fare one way was $19.50...The Cab driver took us to Ritz Carlton since he told us they would allow us to use their lounge chairs on the beach....Nope! We could not use them since we weren't guests. We offered $$$. Still could not get a chair. I packed a sheet in my snorkel bag so we had that to sit on. The wind was so bad, sand blow all over us....The beach smelled like rotten eggs, bad fart....We decided to sneak into the pool area. That worked out fine. They did not kick us out. The pool is beautiful.

St Thomas - Coki Beach - Cab fare was $9 each way. The beach is small so it got very crowded. We rented chairs at $5 each and found a really nice shaded area so we didn't need to rent the $10 umbrella. A lot of people wanted our spot and sat every close to us since they didn't want to rent umbrellas and wanted shade.....As for snorkeling - the best.....Excellent! What a great variety of fish....We bought rolls from the buffet and fed the fish....Next time in St Thomas we will plan to go back to Coki Beach...We had to leave around 1 since the ship was leaving at 3 and I wanted to get in a little shopping before boarding ship......Oh FYI, the staff likes to get high early in the morning....Could smell it a mile away.....

Bermuda - I was first so confused with the token, tickets, passes and all...But as soon as you exit the ship to your right there is a booth and people there to help you....What a pleasure....We went to Horseshoe Bay for $8 round trip by bus....Very easy....This is not a good place to snorkel...Very tiny fish.....The view of the cliffs are breath-taking....Water has waves in the main part. But to the right as you first enter the beach there is a little section with calm water surrounded by cliffs. Nice area....Chair rentals $8.50 which is a little high....They would not rent umbrellas $10 since it was windy the day we were there....No shade at all....We were frying like bacon out in the sun.... I will try Church Bay Beach next time we are in Bermuda.....Wish Princess would do a week cruise to Bermuda....There is so much to see and do....Beautiful island.

Guest THE EDS

Where did you dock in St. Thomas, have previously docked at the Havensight pier and loved it. Is this where the Crown docked, leaving 9/3

Thanks for your help was looking forward to shopping at the Mall just read Princess may be using a different pier.

Thanks for your help

The Eds

helpmesailaway -

Grand Turk Governor's Beach - We walked back to the area were they dropped us off. In less than 2 minutes we were on our way...

San Juan - At the hotel they had a taxi cab waiting area. The Door man called one for us and off we went.

St Thomas - Cab driver who took us asked us what time we wanted to head back to the ship. He was waiting there for us...Right on time.

Bermuda - This place we took the local bus to Horseshoe bay. We got lucky again. We only had to wait maybe 1 minute.....

I don't know if it's luck or what....Maybe it's just that simple....

Archived