Transatlantic to Brazil

goodclicks

I am thinking of booking the 30th of November Armonia sailing from Genoa to Rio de Janeiro and would be interested to hear of anyones experiences of transatlantic crossings on MSC. I have chosen this particular cruise as the exotic ports such as Casablanca, Funchal and Rio and the idea of crossing the equator appeals.

I don't think this particular cruise is marketed outside of Europe and Brazil so I suppose the English speakers will be even more in the minority than usual, but, so long as there are a few people to speak to over dinner I'll be happy. Anyone booked or planning too?

I am hoping the Atlantic weather should be good, even in December, when heading that far south but I must admit I really don't know. Maybe someone has done such a crossing and could share their experience?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's getting a lot closer!

Does anyone know if MSC offer anti-seasickness tablets? I am not sure whether they will be needed or not but would prefer to know if I can lay my hands on some before I am in the middle of the Atlantic!

Is there anyone else on this trip with me? I suspect there will be quite a few empty cabins as I have seen this cruise advertised in the UK without single supplements in the past week.

• 2 weeks later...

Bon Voyage Goodclicks, time is nearly here and I hope you have a lovely voyage. Armonia & Sinfonia have both been in Genoa getting ready for their Transats and the winter season. I have been watching on the Genova webcam. Sinfonia left today and you are next:) Please let us know how it goes!

Webcam at

http://www.disi.unige.it/person/MasulliF/Genova%20-webcam%20-%20Old%20Port.htm

Pam

Thank you, Pam.

I will keep an eye on the webcam. What type of work is done while the ship is in dock?

I don't suppose Armonia will be quite as stylish and plush as the Opera, but I am sure I'll feel very 'at home' all the same.

I'm almost ready now and getting quite excited.

Just general sprucing up. clean out, replacing worn carpets/bedding and so on, reprovisioning etc.. she may possibly disappear from view into the drydock for a few days too [that's off to the left out of the webcam shot].

I watched Lirica come and go.. the other week.. Opera will be in next:)

Armonia/Sinfonia are nearly the same as Lirica, but not quite [Opera has the extra balconies]. The ex Festival two were obviously built on a cheaper budget, but not much and you will be surprised at how similar they are. I have only been on Armonia and Lirica to compare. Armonia doesn't have the nice Piano seating area, but some strange rather out of place cabinets, and has plain rubber decking in some areas [around mini golf ] against Lirica's teak effect rubber there, and the former gets marked more easily.. but none of this will detract from a cruise just picky observations of mine:)

I only wish I could be joining you, but unfortunately completely the wrong time of year for me. Rio calls and one day I hope to be able to make the time for one of these transats. I am green with envy:) I love sea days and it would be ideal for me. I hope you will take loads of photos:)-p I recall viewing your previous ones on Opera which were lovely.

Pam

It's maybe a bit controversial but I had hoped Armonia was going to be fitted with a cell phone system. During a week long cruise it really isn't important but for this number of sea days some contact would be nice. Apparently Musica, opera and Lirica are fitted but not Armonia and Sinfonia.

Sea days suit me fine. Despite being (fairly) young I am not in the best of health and can't cope with a port every day. Plenty of enforced rest is going to be ideal!

I bought a new camera card especially! My photos certainly won't be up to your standard. I'd like to thank you for posting your pictures as they gave me a very good idea of what to expect aboard ship before my first cruise.

A travelling companion would have been very welcome, as I'm on my own. I am guessing that there will be very few english speakers aboard, perhaps even less than on Opera last September, as this cruise hasn't been sold in Canada and the States. Hopefully I'll do well at the table-mate lottery!

I have to keep in touch with elderly parents whenever away from home to make sure all is OK, so I appreciate your concern there. I wasn't aware of the cell phone system as we have always been within reach of land based reception within any 24hr period before with MSC. Maybe they will be fitting this soon? It is not a concern for many, but it is useful to have if the need arises.. I know only too well the feeling of being 'cut off' when my father was taken into hospital seriously ill on a trip a few years back. It is all very well to want to be 'cut-off' to enjoy one's cruise, but you can't when there is something you are worried about.

I am sure there will be some other English speakers.. moan to the M'd if you don't get them on your table.. a few euros will keep him happy:) or a big smile!

Did you get a chance to do some Italian lessons before? They were great fun and much laughter ensued, breaking a lot of ice when I used it on unsuspecting Italians aboard.... LOL... I think they nicknamed me the mad English woman:) All adds to the fun of cruising MSC in my opinion. I love the mix of nationalities and different cultures; the elbows in the buffet included:) and also watching the love of dipping Nutella covered bread in a cup of coffee or tea.. yeuch! I cannot think of anything more disgusting, but Italians seem to love Nutella... beats the moaning minnies or US or UK cruising companions:) JMHO.

A new camera.. great! I can't wait your return now... but I guess you don't want that! I am only a happy snapper... no photographer... take 100 photos of something and a handful will be passable:)

Do you have a night or two in Brazil? or flying straight back.

I don't recall any Italian lessons being offered on the Opera, and I'd have gone along if I'd been aware of any. I am afraid I am mono lingual with a passing understanding of German. I do however try my best at using Italian words and phrases, but a strange, Esperanto like, fusion of French, Spanish and Italian comes out.

Despite my linguistic inability I too thoroughly enjoy the mix of nationalities and cultures - even the queues, which you have to take for granted in Europe. Hours of fun can be had guessing the nationality!

I am hopeful that I will be sat with well matched table companions, but the slightly worrying thing is: I befriended a woman on the Opera who was sat all alone, and her M'd didn't help until we insisted she be sat with us. There were available seats, so why wasn't she with us in the first instance?

I only have one night in Rio before returning. Certainly not long enough to do justice to the city. I did try to extend it but MSC weren't helpful at all. Perhaps the problem was the proximity of Christmas? I'm afraid I find them slightly lacking in organisational skills. At least the night I am having is included in my package. During the summer they were charging extra for it.

I am not looking forward to the return flight at all. Maybe I will just stay on board until she returns in April. Thrice on my last trip I was mistaken for crew (I'm about the right age and build), so it's do-able!

Do you have your next trip planned?

Now the fog has finally lifted this morning in Genoa, Musica is 'hiding' Armonia. It is fun watching the comings and goings on this webcam. On a good clear day one can see for miles and the coast across the water. I would love to know exactly where that is, a long way off.

Yes, the organisaton of some things can be somewhat haphazard at times, typical, but gets there is the end.. one would have thought singles expecially were slotted into the dining tables with more care. Flights are probably at a premium on your return, prices rise considerably around 17 Dec, so perhaps that is why? they just wanted you on the first flight back, but they could have explained better rather than just be unhelpful.

4 months aboard would go down very well.. maybe they will offer you a job;) create a phobia over flying:)

We don't have an MSC cruise booked, but are sailing Costa over Christmas primarily for the itinerary; a new one for us.

Hello,

Pam said : " and also watching the love of dipping Nutella covered bread in a cup of coffee or tea.. yeuch! I cannot think of anything more disgusting, but Italians seem to love Nutella.."

Aye, aye, Pam,

Wiener (Vienna) melange coffee is just creamy coffee with some cacao and sugar, so....without the bread, I can understand this dipping. And just dipping with only bread, I think it taste the same.

However..I don't know whether in Vienna (Wiener) they do know what this is and/of they do some 'schnapps' in it.

But... with some Tia Maria, Cafe Marakesh, or other coffee-liqueur in it, this must be very delicious.:D

Henri.

I see Armonia's funnel just poking above Musica. Talking of Musica, she is sailing the Voyage to Rio next year. I was somewhat surprised that MSC are sending her to Brazil rather than Florida. I haven't been this year's cruise yet and already I am tempted with sailing this routing on her next year (at the right price of course!). Musica is a fine looking ship and is decorated, very much, to my taste. What I found a little strange is that this year it takes 5 days for Armonia and Sinfonia to cross from Tenerife to Recife yet next year Sinfonia and Musica will cross in 4 days. Are they taking it easy this year or perhaps fitting turbochargers next year!?

Costa appears to be a fine line too. My parents sailed on the Victoria last year and preferred most aspects to their RCL Brilliance OTS cruise this year. I am not entirely convinced I could cope with the decor on Costa's newer ships - it is not exactly what you would call refined - but their pre Carnival ships seem much more tasteful.

Happy sailing.

Aye, aye, Pam,

Wiener (Vienna) melange coffee is just creamy coffee with some cacao and sugar, so....without the bread, I can understand this dipping. And just dipping with only bread, I think it taste the same.

However..I don't know whether in Vienna (Wiener) they do know what this is and/of they do some 'schnapps' in it.

But... with some Tia Maria, Cafe Marakesh, or other coffee-liqueur in it, this must be very delicious.:D Henri.

You always make me smile Henri:) I love Tia Maria with a coffee, separate or within... lovely... but I am not sure about the 'dipping' there:)

I will however admit to a terribly English pastime of dipping Rich Tea Fingers into tea.. or more delicious, fabulously so, of Ginger Nuts into any hot drink... wonderful. However I would never indulge in this 'habit' in view of others:)

Costa appears to be a fine line too. My parents sailed on the Victoria last year and preferred most aspects to their RCL Brilliance OTS cruise this year. I am not entirely convinced I could cope with the decor on Costa's newer ships - it is not exactly what you would call refined - but their pre Carnival ships seem much more tasteful.Happy sailing.

Perhaps Princess style 'jet-engines'.. LOL actually they are for show only, but I did once cruise with a chap on another line who insisted the vessels really moved across the water when they [the funnel jet-engines] were 'switched on'.. hilarious to listen to the nonsense he spouted:) I will look up those itins, I am not that far ahead at present:(

I agree with you re the 'new' Costa interiors.. purely Farcus dark and dismal horror imo [an impression gleaned from photos only]. We are on Classica, who I understand is lovely and elegant interior wise... I will give my impression in January:) I have seen photos which do make her look rather smart. I have heard other nice comments about Victoria too... not so of Concordia, Fortuna etc post Carnivalisation:( but all new to me..

Are you sailing from Dubai on Classica then? That itinerary looks very interesting and appeals to me.

I have friends who have just boarded Concordia today. After hearing me bang on about how wonderful my Opera cruise was they decided to take the plunge and book. I got a very excited call from them earlier just after they'd boarded. Apparently, already, it's the best hotel they've ever been in.

I have seen those "jet engines" and thought them very ugly. I thought they must serve a purpose though.

Packing is on-going. I am now on the look-out for a money belt as the more I read about Brazil, the more I hear about the crime. I am not a fan of organised tours, but here they may be safer.

Only a couple more days:) Yes, that's the trip we're doing, picked purely for the itinerary, no choice of ship or line. We'll enjoy whatever.

Hope your friends enjoy Concordia to the hilt. I gather you have to keep your wits about you in Rio. Like any big city, there are these problems. Some of the tourist sites do make it out to be worse than it really is though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived