Why would you NOT want to use a PVP??

RjayB

i LOVE my PVP. she booked me on the fascination with an awesome deal! she helped me last time too! The thing I like is how I can call her and she knows who i am and i dont even need to tell her! also, we gossip a little bit too haha! i love how she knows all the answers of my questions. i can ask her really random questions, and she knows it all! shes like a Carnival angel! i would never book through anyone but her.

I have used the same PVP for the last 4 cruises. He is SUPER !! He even calls to "catch up" on things. Just today I called him and he was busy, but in less than 10 minutes he called back. Even made sure my partner in Texas sent his DD214 so he could get the military discount, and that was $400 on a 7 day trip. Ask for Justin, he is what the PVP is supposed to be.:D

....... Ask for Justin, he is what the PVP is supposed to be.:D

Hi Tet. Just an FYI for you - Although many of us really like our PVPs, we aren't allowed to name any agent, agencies, or PVPs on Cruise Critic boards. Their rules. Sorry.:)

You couldn't be more wrong!! PVPs work on incentive. It is mandatory to their success that they get as many return guests and referrals as possible.

NRWO is right, my PVP didn't only reduce my cruise for Europe, but WITH my air booked through Carnival - helped me change my flights and upgrade to first class. The whole time encouraging me to get rates to match and no TA could match rates - not even consolidators on the flights. If you have a good one that looks out for you then it is the best. And you aren't paying out commissions out of your cruise & flight prices. Sorry to add...their incentive relies on good service and return guests. I've had her for 2 yrs now and have referred many happy friends and family

Many can tell stories about bad TA or PVP experiences, but that's not a reason to use one over the other.

A GOOD TA is hard to find.

A GOOD PVP is hard to find.

To compare anything but a good TA with a good PVP is silly.

2 things stand out to me.

1.) My TA will always, every time , without fail beat the cruiseline price.

2.) A Carnival PVP, no matter how good, can ONLY talk about Carnival cruises.

While Carnival might be my favorite line[not sure I have a fave], I do/have cruised on almost every line.

If I used a PVP, I'd be a cruise rookie every time I choose some other line.

With my TA, I'm a known valuable REPEAT customer.

Dan

And you aren't paying out commissions out of your cruise prices. Sorry to add...their incentive relies on good service and return guests.

If my TA can match Carnivals PVP, where is the commissions coming from? Don't you think Carnival has a bottom line that they can charge so that covers commission for TA's and Carnival PVP's salaries? TA's also rely on return guests and referrals.;)

If you are looking to save money and aren't married to a particular cruise line, your PVP will not tell you that Royal Caribbean offers a similar itinerary on a similar ship at $300 less in a better cabin. Like someone mentioned, your PVP is an employee of the cruise line while your TA works for you.

We generally see the same prices that the CCL PVP's, but if we have group space or belong to a consortium that has preferred pricing, we may have prices or incentives that your PVP does not have access to.

When you see people posting that they've gotten rates that beat direct prices...their TA's have cut their commissions, to the best of my knowledge. I know they can match the prices, yeah - everyone has the "same rates" until you ask them to beat it, then if you have a TA with I assume a great relationship, they will. that is what it comes out of, from what I've read and inquired - I'm sure someone will have something different, but that is why CC is great - you get all points of view

When you see people posting that they've gotten rates that beat direct prices...their TA's have cut their commissions, to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, that could be the reason. What you have to understand is that if a TA reduces their commission to give you a lower price, the cruise line has no knowledge of that. The bad part of that is if your travel agency happens to go out of business before you cruise and your booking gets assinged to another TA or the cruise line itself, you are on the hook for the full price, not the reduced price the former TA quoted you.

If you are looking to save money and aren't married to a particular cruise line, your PVP will not tell you that Royal Caribbean offers a similar itinerary on a similar ship at $300 less in a better cabin. Like someone mentioned, your PVP is an employee of the cruise line while your TA works for you.

We generally see the same prices that the CCL PVP's, but if we have group space or belong to a consortium that has preferred pricing, we may have prices or incentives that your PVP does not have access to.

That is so true. Our TA has been fortunate enough to travel on just about all the cruiselines, so she is familiar with other lines.

And also just because you get a better price, does not mean you get a desirable cabin.;)

Yes, that could be the reason. What you have to understand is that if a TA reduces their commission to give you a lower price, the cruise line has no knowledge of that. The bad part of that is if your travel agency happens to go out of business before you cruise and your booking gets assinged to another TA or the cruise line itself, you are on the hook for the full price, not the reduced price the former TA quoted you.

JCANINO, I had no idea. That is scary. So how do I know how stable the TA is? There are so many out there! How do I know they aren't in trouble and I could pay more in the end and have no control over it.

....A PVP cares about getting your booking - but can't do anything for you other than sell you the cruise.

Well, that's just not true. My PVP finds all kinds of little perks for me - every cruise. I've never paid the 'going rate' for any Carnival cruise (except the first one when I went through a local TA). I almost always get OBC, and she has sent a bottle of wine the last coupla cruises. So - she does PLENTY for me other than simply sell me a cruise.:)

Well, that's just not true. My PVP finds all kinds of little perks for me - every cruise. I've never paid the 'going rate' for any Carnival cruise (except the first one when I went through a local TA). I almost always get OBC, and she has sent a bottle of wine the last coupla cruises. So - she does PLENTY for me other than simply sell me a cruise.:)

That's awesome! Seem's my TA does the same thing;)

Op, I think you should go with whoever you are comfortable with, whether TA or PVP. Because according to these posts TA's and PVP's can offer you the same deals. (If my TA is reading this.....you are the best:D )

that those of you that are so hooked on using the Carnival PVP have never experienced working with a REALLY good travel agent who will also:

--advise you on airfare and best flights even if he/she doesn't book them

--find you the perfect pre-cruise hotel when the city is booked

--know about options on other cruise lines based on your likes and dislikes (belive it or not, there are really are other good cruise lines other than Carnival!)

--get you cheaper/better travel insurance based on your needs

--be there if something happens with flight/hotel/anything, NOT just the cruise, before, during, and after--can a PVP do that????

--have a very competitive price and be happy to pass on any reductions with no change fee

--actually care about you as a person

I could go on and on.........

Believe me, they are out there--just look.

Judy

that those of you that are so hooked on using the Carnival PVP have never experienced working with a REALLY good travel agent who will also:

--know about options on other cruise lines based on your likes and dislikes (belive it or not, there are really are other good cruise lines other than Carnival!)

--be there if something happens with flight/hotel/anything, NOT just the cruise, before, during, and after--can a PVP do that????

--have a very competitive price and be happy to pass on any reductions with no change fee

Judy

Yep!

We have used the same Ta for the past four cruises. One was a group cruise that we thought we would have eight cabins booked. Two couples dropped out. That left us four people shy of getting the group discount. Our TA called us and said that she had another couple that were interested in a cruise and wondered if we minded if she booked them along with us. That still left us with one couple short of the discount. She called back later and said that she and her husband were thinking about taking a cruise and was adding their names to our group. We all got the discount because of her. She has sent us a bottle of wine in each cabin and chocolate covered strawberries for each of our cruises. In our opinion, she deserves to get our business when we travel.

She even goes so far as to watch for airline prices and tells us when to book our own air. (TA's don't get a commission for air so she has us do our own.) On our Victory cruise, she advised us that cruise air was going to be cheaper than booking our own through the airlines or anywhere else. She was right. We kept track of it until the cruise and the Carnival Air stayed cheaper. At that time, airfare skyrocketed.

JCANINO, I had no idea. That is scary. So how do I know how stable the TA is? There are so many out there! How do I know they aren't in trouble and I could pay more in the end and have no control over it.

You really don't know if a travel agency is stable. I have seen some agencies that have been around for years just shut down overnight. If you have a good rapport with your particular TA, ask them how business is. Ask if they have a lot of people travelling, but even that is no indicator. The owner may close their doors for reasons other than slow business or low income. The same holds true for cruise lines. I know that it may seem ridiculous that a Carnival could shut down overnight, but it has happened to other smaller lines.

Wow, this question comes up pretty often, and there is NO answer that is 100% applicable to everyone.

I use an online TA. They have enormous clout with CCL because of the volume of cruises they book. I never use their online booking engine, because their published prices are the same as CCL. I call in or email and get substantial discounts. When I call in, I can ask to speak to ****, he is the owner, and knows me by name. His very capable staff knows me also, and even remembers the names of most of my friends and family that sail with us reguarly.

Case in Point - our upcoming Liberty cruise to Panama. We originally booked 9 cabins (7 BALC GUAR, and two military). I emailed **** when CCL sent me one of their 'Greatest Sale Ever' notices. I asked if their was anything he could do for my group. We went from BALC GUAR to 8E confirmed cabins (Panorama deck) with no price change. The 2 military cabins did not change, but they are paying so little, they do not care!

I tried using a PVP one time, all I will say is that it did not work out.

Another poster said it all:

There are good TAs and good PVPs - find one that will work for you.

You really don't know if a travel agency is stable. I have seen some agencies that have been around for years just shut down overnight. If you have a good rapport with your particular TA, ask them how business is. Ask if they have a lot of people travelling, but even that is no indicator. The owner may close their doors for reasons other than slow business or low income. The same holds true for cruise lines. I know that it may seem ridiculous that a Carnival could shut down overnight, but it has happened to other smaller lines.

Jcanino, that can happen to any business anywhere. Not quite sure what you are getting at:confused:

I booked my cruise through an online travel agent, and while their fares were comparable with Carnival's, I was offered free travel insurance. I'll take that deal anytime.

Bet you and I use the same one....free insurance saves a bundle and I have found in most cases, their price can usually beat Carnivals....I use past guest and senior discounts when looking for a cruise on their sight. They also have made arrangements for OBC when the price has gone down - even though they keep their commission out of it...That doesn't bother me at all - only a few dollars and they are entitled to keep it as far as I am concerned. I have booked all my cruises through them for the past 3 years and couldn't be happier.

Am sailing on the Fascination later this month...with my documents came a lovely flight bag. I haven't seen THAT in a long time!

Judy

Absolutely. The really big item you listed is "be there if something happens"... Those who do it themselves can complete the trip with no problems and feel comfortable that all is OK. However, when you run into a problem, many don't even know where to start in fixing it. Nothing like being half-way to wherever and have everything start falling apart...or arriving at a hotel where nobody has ever heard of you..or any number of things that could go wrong. Most folks just start to panic, start yelling at the first person they see with a jacket. They have no idea how to fix it.....This is where those wonderful TA's are champs. If you have booked through a TA, he or she can usually fix the problem momentarily - or knows where to go and who to call to get it fixed.

I read so much on these boards from people who have had problems and rant and rave about it, getting no satisfaction for a perceived or real injustice... Many things they speak of are things that could have been prevented if they had used a TA.

It seems that a lot of people think being their own agent is no big deal. They completely ignore, or are unaware of, the intricacies of the travel industry. They don't read contracts, they don't understand or pay attention to terms and conditions, don't read or pay attention to required documents and many others things that get them into trouble out there. They don't know what their "rights" are or, more importantly, what they are NOT. And - they don't know how to fix it.

A good TA is an invaluable resource. A professional.

Jcanino, that can happen to any business anywhere. Not quite sure what you are getting at:confused:

It is this post that I am referring to......

"Yes, that could be the reason. What you have to understand is that if a TA reduces their commission to give you a lower price, the cruise line has no knowledge of that. The bad part of that is if your travel agency happens to go out of business before you cruise and your booking gets assinged to another TA or the cruise line itself, you are on the hook for the full price, not the reduced price the former TA quoted you."

If your cruise REALLY cost $1000 and your TA rebated all their commission to give you a price of $800 and they go belly up BEFORE you make final payment, that cruise is going to cost you $1000 not $800.

Archived