Water shoes?

jandn

What are water shoes? What activities require using them? Where can they be purchased for a cruise in November?

Water shoes are intended to wear....well......in the water. They are soft and foot-forming with a rubber sole to prevent slipping; they dry fast. Right now you can probably still get them at WalMart for about $5 a pair. They're seasonal, though, (obviously), so if you wait much, they'll be gone. Some people rave about much more expensive ones from places like Land's End, but it's all the same thing - get the cheap ones! (Used them for swimming at strange beaches, when we didn't know what might be on bottom; used them climbing Dunn's River Falls (critical for that) and tubing down the river.)

What are water shoes? What activities require using them? Where can they be purchased for a cruise in November?

Water shoes (aka aquashoes) are used in the oceans and especially spoken about when climbing waterfalls (jamaica), going on excursions that are water related and such. Some ask specifically for these, but you really only need something you can walk in water with (see below). The shoes are very bendy all around, with a rubber sole with grips on the bottom. They usually cover the entire foot and allow water to come through. You can find them at places such as wal-mart (cheeper) and swim/scuba stores. Also online, just do a search.

Another option is, when I need something like a water shoe, I end up wearing my teva sandals (are made by other companies than teva as well). These are sandals that have a hard rubber sole and nylon/velcro straping across the toes and around the ankle. They are great for hiking/walking and in the water. Good luck and have a great cruise!

If the ones at the discount stores are gone, go to www.landsend.com and look in their Overstock section for their water shoes that were on sale real cheap last week. I do love anything that Land's End makes - really good quality, but don't "drag your feet" :D too long or they will be gone. Have a great cruise. gg

They can be useful on the ship if you are going up to the pool or hottub and don't want to wear your regular shoes. Because they can be packed easily and don't take up much room you can use them sort of like slippers.

I usually take a pair of walking shoes for ports, a pair of dress shoes for evening dinners and then the water shoes for the pool or hot tub.

Have a great next cruise.

We live on the NC coast. In summer our beach sand can be HOT to walk on. Water shoes are easiler than anything else so we wear them. We also have oysters in the sound and they will really cut your feet up. So. we wear water shoes here. You can get them at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or any surf shop. And, we take them on cruises and wear them off the ship for same reasons. When friends come here, we tell them to bring old sneakers which will also save your feet!

Water shoes are especially good if one is going to the Caribbean. On lots of beaches, there is underwater coral, which can be painful if stepped on with bare feet. In Hawaii there is coral and also lava rock which is very rough textured.

Earlier this year, I did a Shore Excursion in Dominica where you tube thru a river in the rainforest. I am a typical girlie girl and was scared to death of creatures and other things. There were many times where I had to put my feet on the bottom to keep moving. Water shoes saved me! I wasn't afraid to put my feet down in fear of stepping on something yucky! This was the best day out of the whole trip!

I just got my shoes at Dick's Sporting Goods. They did only have children's there, however. Luckily, I fit in a boys size 4.

I just got a pair from Lands End and they look pretty sturdy. The other ones seem a little flimsy to me....not a lot of sole on them. the ones I just got look like regular athletic shoes so should be pretty good for walking around shore also. Guess I will find out in April.

I have 3 pairs of watershoes. The first pair I bought a few years ago on line. They have a very thin sole and are really only good for in the water. If you want to just put a pair on and wear them to and from your excursion, definitely go for the sturdier ones. I bought a pair last year at Dick's Sporting Goods ( on sale) and I just ordered a pair from Lands End. Both of these look more like a tennis shoe and are more comfortable on the soles of the feet. I wanted 2 pair so I would always have a dry pair.

DW was trying to talk me into buying a pair of those hideous looking shoes that look like they are made of recycled milk jugs. I think they are called crocs. I finally tried on a pair. I'll be danged if they weren't about as comfortable as anything I've stuck my feet in. Would they work well as water shoes?

Funny you should ask. I just bought some this morning. This is a good time to find them on sale. I paid $2.99 in a military PX, but I would imagine that you could find them in a sporting goods shop, surf shop or the like.

They really come in handy. We have been to many beaches and they are not all sandy-bottomed. Mexico is especially bad--or at least in the Cancun area.

Knuckles---I don't think Crocs would work. You need something that is not going to slip off your feet.

I love CROCS

Anyway Crocs would work. I wore crocs last year as I wanted something I could walk around in and head right into the water.

The only thing with crocs is some small pebbles sneak in the holes on the bottom but they still worked.

Now I did not climb any waterfalls or anything but in general they will work,

And the nice thing about crocs, they float if they happen to slip off (but that is what the back strap is for.)

DW was trying to talk me into buying a pair of those hideous looking shoes that look like they are made of recycled milk jugs. I think they are called crocs. I finally tried on a pair. I'll be danged if they weren't about as comfortable as anything I've stuck my feet in. Would they work well as water shoes?

I have been wearing Crocs for several years now and have 4 pairs. I just love them. They have about 14 styles now and some are made for off-Road, for diabetics, for people with feet problems like bunions that need a wider boxy toe, there are Croc boots, beach shoes, and flip flops. www.crocs.com is their web page and you can order them in great colors - some bright, some subdued like black, brown, navy, white, dark green. Lots of doctors and nurses in our area wear them because they are so darn comfy. Either you love the looks or hate them - but once you try them, you will love the comfort. As per earlier poster thinking they might be on sale now - I don't think the original Crocs ever go on sale - at least that is what our local stores say and I have never found them on sale. There are lots of imitators, but they are not the same design or comfort because I have some from Target for garden shoes and while they do the job of being water proof - they are not nearly as comfortable. Go to their web site and see the tips on buying the right size, and the info on each design. I wear them summer and winter with or without socks, depending on the weather. And wow - I wish I had bought some of their stock when it first came on the market - their sales are out of site. :D gg

Water shoes (or old sneakers) are also needed for activities such as cave tubing in Belize and climbing Dunns River Falls.

The ones from Walmart are also very light - an important feature with today's airline weight limits.

Our Lands' End water shoes arrived yesterday. We both tried them on today and we think we are really going to like them. We found them in the Overstocks. Thanks to everyone who suggested this.

I have one pair of cayman crocs I've only had a couple of months. I may take them on the cruise, too. I'm wondering about the hydro crocs. They are more expensive, but they look like they'd be good for swimming without weighing you down. Crocs claims the crocs’ water shoe is buoyant and can even function like a flipper. How about this Crocs lovers, is this true?

I recently bought some water shoes on sale at JCPenney's that were similar to the ones from Land's End. They seem to have a good tread to them, and they're pretty comfy. I also am a big fan of Crocs....especially for the beach. It's so easy to simply rinse out the sand after being on the beach.

• 2 months later...

I just found this thread. It was great info, but I have a question. I was looking at the Land's End water shoes and there are a couple of different styles. I'm more of a flip flop person. Would the "thong" style water shoes be sufficient for climbing Dunn's River Falls, or should I get the ones that look like sneakers?

Funny you should ask. I just bought some this morning. This is a good time to find them on sale. I paid $2.99 in a military PX, but I would imagine that you could find them in a sporting goods shop, surf shop or the like.

They really come in handy. We have been to many beaches and they are not all sandy-bottomed. Mexico is especially bad--or at least in the Cancun area.

Knuckles---I don't think Crocs would work. You need something that is not going to slip off your feet.

Crocs has a shoe called Crocs Hydro Shoe that they claim is buoyant and can even function like a flipper, is constructed with a waterproof neoprene upper and can be sported on land or in water. Dillard's has it online at http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&storeId=301&langId=-1&productId=501017785 I called our local Dillard's here today and they have it in the store in 3 different colors, so I plan to go try a pair on for size and to see if I like them later. Crocs has them online in four colors http://shop.crocs.com/pc-31-4-hydro.aspx?reqid=31&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

My last post should have been a reply for KnuckleDragger instead of katz. So here it is again for Knucles.

Crocs has a shoe called Crocs Hydro Shoe that they claim is buoyant and can even function like a flipper, is constructed with a waterproof neoprene upper and can be sported on land or in water. Dillard's has it online at http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/s...ctId=501017785 I called our local Dillard's here today and they have it in the store in 3 different colors, so I plan to go try a pair on for size and to see if I like them later. Crocs has them online in four colors http://shop.crocs.com/pc-31-4-hydro.aspx?reqid=31&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionna me=footwear&section=products

Archived