Very few kids on our sailing????

betonic

I just found out that my 7 year old will be one of only 4 children on our trans-atlantic sailing next month. I didn't expect many but this is very few. Does anyone have experience with taking their kids on cruises where there are very few others? I guess that it depends on how well he gets along with the counselors.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Depends on what cruise line you're taking. Some don't operate a kids club unless they have a minimum number of kids on board. When we did a few Celebrity cruises where there were less than 10 kids, there wasn't a program. But, with only four kids I doubt you'll see much of a program---probably a very abbreviated one. A lot depends on the age of the children on board. Yours could be the only one who would be age eligible for a program, so there very well could be no program.

We're going on HAL and they assure me that they will be operating their full kids program. There's one in the group of 4-7 and three in the group of 8-12. Ship's Services says that all the kids will be grouped together in this case.

This was years ago on Carnival, but there were very few children on board, and only 3 in our daughter's age group, and they had the whole program running. She was 2.5, and I think there were only 3 in her age group, maybe 15 kids total. During the day they kept to their age groups, but evenings were usually combined. This was her first cruise, and I think that the small number was great, she was totally spoiled and had such a good time we couldn't get her to join us when our dive excursion was over. She's 14 now, but still swears she remembers having fun.

On our first Princess cruise, my girl was one of three 5-yr-olds. I don't remember how many kids altogether but there were definitely fewer activities and one of the kids' rooms was not used. It was in February and school was in session (I did get her kindergarten homework packet for the week ahead of time).

Thank you all for your comments. I feel a little bit better now.

I realized when I booked a 16 day cruise in September that there would be a very few children. I have always travelled at this time of year. I live in Cancun and we never take vacation during the big tourist season so all of the schools are used to our kids going on vacation during school. I will get a packet of school work and if he needs tutoring when we get home, he'll get it. Since this is still only 1st grade, I'm sure that he'll be fine. I also feel that taking a vacation to amazing European Ports is a fabulous learning experience as well as the oppurtunity to travel with my Grandmother.

How did you find out how many kids were going to be on board?:confused:

I am wondering the same question. We were on a 14 day NCL cruise in March '04, with only 14 children. Luckily for my 2 children we traveled with 2 other families and their children.

Now we are going on a 15 day TA next March on Celebrity and am really concerned for them. They also want the European ports, but really want to at least meet a few other children. I have asked Celebrity and they told me they can't tell in their systems if there are any other children! We are still deciding what to do.

We did the Summit to Hawaii in January this year, There was less the 25 kids under 18. We new there would be few but this was suprising. I don't know how you got the info on how many kids are going to be there (I tried). Their kids program, even with the very few children (around 10 or so who came) is wonderful. I think with the smaller group they got more personal attention. This was our first cruise with the boys and they can't wait to go again.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the NCL Dawn last December. Total of 30 some kids on board, 3 were ours. The entire crew was fantastic with our children, and were very excited to see them. In our opinion, they did alot more with our DD's on this cruise than on the Disney line. The kids crew begged to have them and our DD's and the other children were treated like royalty. Made for a fantastic time. I envy your long trip. Have a great time. Janice

Janice - Thanks for taking the time to post. I certainly hope that my son has the same experience as your children did.

741323 - I don't think you will find to many kids on your sailing either because American schools are normally in session at that timme of year. But I'm still sure you will have more kids than I'm having since it's Carnival.

Thanks Betonic, there seem to be a few teenagers listed in our roll call but not younger ones (my all grown up 10 year old son would go crazy if he read this).... but we will wait and see - I hope there are enough for Camp Carnival to run a full programme...

In the UK kids have a week break in late October but my son's school gets 2 weeks which is why we can cruise! :D

Archived