Question for Recent Canadian Cruisers

Just wondering if any Canadians have cruised lately "without" a passport and had any problems? I know the cruise line says that passports are NOT required (as of yet). My Cdn. SIL will be cruising (September) into Grand Caymen & Mexico and will only have her Picture ID & Birth Certificate etc.

Thanks for any info!

I was told by my travel agent that I needed to have a passport. It clearly states on all my receipts that a valid passport is required and my reservation must be in the same name as the one on the passport. I was told the "no passports" rule is only for Americans.

When I arrived at the Port the first thing RCCL asked to see was my passport. They also held it until we were back in the US.

I would recommend that your SIL get a passport before she leaves.

Just wondering if any Canadians have cruised lately "without" a passport and had any problems? I know the cruise line says that passports are NOT required (as of yet). My Cdn. SIL will be cruising (September) into Grand Caymen & Mexico and will only have her Picture ID & Birth Certificate etc.

Thanks for any info!

We just cruised on Brilliance of the Seas to Spain, France and Portugal. Prior to getting on the ship we filled out a form for Royal Caribbean which included our passport information, and faxed it to them. They indicated this was needed to provide to the consular authorities in the countries we were visiting. At check in time at the ship in Miami, they asked to see our passports and my husband's landed immigrant card, and ran the passports through the bar scanner. They didn't hold them, but certainly checked them out. If your SIL is flying from here to Miami or whatever, it would be good to have a passport at the airport too - they're asking when you pass US Customs.

It only takes a week in Canada to get a passport, if you go in person to the passport office and make the application, then go and pick it up. If I were your SIL I'd get one. In extreme circumstances you can get one in 24 hours, but they need to be able to contact the guarantor to do it. (I've done this when I lost my passport right inside the house!).

Fran in Toronto:)

I would suggest your cousin get a passport. Having said that, only a call to RCI can give you the answer. The countries you are going to DO NOT require Canadians to have a passport and RCI is not requesting Americans to have passports (that I know of) before the Jan 1, 2007 deadline.

Have your cousin get a passport now. She is going to need one eventually anyway and travel is much easier with a passport.

Thanks everyone for your advice on this matter. I'm going to strongly suggest that she start working on one. I noticed that on the Cdn Passport website they say that you can can an 'express' one in 2-9 working days IF you have an emergency. Wonder if leaving on a cruise on 9/10 would be considered an emergency??!! :)

Thanks everyone for your advice on this matter. I'm going to strongly suggest that she start working on one. I noticed that on the Cdn Passport website they say that you can can an 'express' one in 2-9 working days IF you have an emergency. Wonder if leaving on a cruise on 9/10 would be considered an emergency??!! :)

All you need is money! You think they would care what kind of emergency it is?! Pay extra $100 and you get it in a couple of days.

Your SIL has plenty of time to get a passport........no need to pay the extra for an express passport. If she goes to the passport office with her application she will receive her passport in the mail in under 2 weeks or else she can pick it up if she chooses. I would do it soon though and aslo remind her to be sure to indicate or travel date. Personally I indicated a date a week sooner than what I was really travelling. The passports are sent out by Express post. If she chooses to pick it up it will be ready quicker and they will give you the date as to when to pick it up. If she does not live near a passport office she can go to her local MLAs office with her application and they will confirm everything is filled out correctly and the required photo etc is included and they will forward it to the passport office for her. It may take slightly longer this way though.

I live in Kelowna and we don't have a passport office here so I drove to Vancouver with our applications and I then received the passports by Express Post a week later. I applied for passports for myself and my two children and they were all mailed seperately by Express post but all arrived on the same day. If you SIL goes into the office with her application they will tell her the turnaround time that they are currently working with.

Sandie

Not to alarm you but she needs to get a passport and they are getting very sticky where I live and I was denied one at first because my birth certificate had a crease in it and had to get a new one from Ontario gov. Also made us redo photos because of too much shine. She will need her health card also fro proof of identity. I guess they are tightening security measures here. And I even had a current passport valid until September.However the new passport arrived quickly by courier.Kathi

I noticed that on the Cdn Passport website they say that you can can an 'express' one in 2-9 working days IF you have an emergency. Wonder if leaving on a cruise on 9/10 would be considered an emergency??!! :)

Where abouts is your in-law? If she's in (or near) a major city with a Federal Government Services Building they will have a passport counter. No way should she need expedited (such a gentler word than 'emergency') service. Here in Calgary my husband, son and self applied on a Tuesday and received the passports by registered mail the following Monday. They promise (?) receipt within 10 days but that must give them lots of time because everyone I know who has applied (many, many lately) got theirs much sooner. Absolutely no reason I can think of that she shouldn't get right at it Monday morning and be good to go well before September 10.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Where abouts is your in-law? If she's in (or near) a major city with a Federal Government Services Building they will have a passport counter. No way should she need expedited (such a gentler word than 'emergency') service. Here in Calgary my husband, son and self applied on a Tuesday and received the passports by registered mail the following Monday. They promise (?) receipt within 10 days but that must give them lots of time because everyone I know who has applied (many, many lately) got theirs much sooner. Absolutely no reason I can think of that she shouldn't get right at it Monday morning and be good to go well before September 10.

Happy Sails,

Annette

And if she's near a Federal Building, she can also arrange to pick it up - and I think it takes five working days. I would start now, but it shouldn't take that long.

Fran in Toronto

And, don't forget, that while not legally required yet, admittance into the USA can be stopped if you don't hold a valid passport. I travelled to New England earlier this year with a friend who didn't have a passport. We were allowed in but the border guard stated that he could prohibit my friend from entering. Remember that a birth certificate and/or drivers license just prove who you are, not which country you are a citizen of.

Investing in a passport makes sense even if you only travel outside your country every now and then.

Archived