Is this possible in Maui??

Giantfan13

Since we are overnighting in Maui, we plan on doing the road to Hana on day 1. On day 2 is it possible to do Haleakala Park (NOT SUNRISE) and also get to Iao National Park??. We probably won't start till about 8:30AM and the ship leaves at 6:00PM. Driving is not a problem, but we are not in the 'just under the wire' class of travelors. We probably would want to be back at the ship about 5:00PM. About how long is the ride to Hakeakala and the accent and decent back down, and then to get to Iao??. How much time should be alloted for Iao National Park?.

Since we are overnighting in Maui, we plan on doing the road to Hana on day 1. On day 2 is it possible to do Haleakala Park (NOT SUNRISE) and also get to Iao National Park??.

Yes, very doable. Iao Needle, BTW, is not a national park - it is, I believe, a state park. Frankly, if you're not hiking, you can do Iao in about 1/2 hour.

Spleen

Iao Needle is probably twenty minutes or so from the Kahalui dock. Do that first and you'll be able to gage Haleakala better. Like someone said, if you're not hiking, it's just driving in, parking, walking up a flight of steps to the lookout, taking pictures, going back to your car and driving away. The walk is about 5-10 min to the lookout.

To get to Haleakala from Iao, you'll drive past your ship and up the OTHER mountain on Maui which is Haleakala. Takes perhaps an hour and a half (I haven't done the drive in a few years so don't hold me to that estimate) from the ship to the top, going up some very winding roads (hope no one in your group gets car sick). Once at the top, there are a couple of parking lots, the lower lot has the ranger's station and looks into the crater, the upper lot is nearer to the observatory and looks out across the island. If you get there at midday, you'll have lots of time to walk around and get back to the ship and temperatures should be in the high sixty's. Once the sunset, make sure you have your ski jacket and long underwear. Problem with going during the day is in the afternoon, Haleakala often gets covered in clouds whereas at sunrise is usually clearer. I say USUALLY, with the weather it's a hit or miss. I prefer the sunsets to the sunrises from Haleakala but I'm a sunset kind of guy. But there is a higher risk of clouds at sunset so.... But I digress. Getting back by 5pm should not be a problem at all so long as you don't get attacked by a flock of nene.

GO DODGERS!!

ENJOY!

Glenn

Archived