Measuring help

Sunshine91

I'm looking for some guidance, especially from those who have bought/sold on eBay.

I'm looking at a few new things for our January cruise & have asked the sellers for measurements. I've measured myself with a sewing measuring tape. I've also measured some of the dressy things in my closet that fit me really well (I just want something new). The problem - difference in the bust by FOUR inches! When I lay my dresses flat I get measurement A. When I measure myself, I get measurement B, 4 inches larger. Of course, this accounts for the cup size. Same with the waist measurements, only not as drastic, more like just an inch or 2.

SO.... now what? Do I buy based on the measurements of my clothes or myself? Most sellers won't take a return for size only.

Thanks for your input. I'm just kind of spinning in circles right now.

are more accurate than the flat measurements b/c a "finished" product allows for some ease. Now, having said that, if some of your own clothes that fit OK are some of the same name brands that you are looking at, then you have a better idea of what will fit. And different people take flat measurements in different places and armholes/seams are not necessarily in the same place either. So mostly it's a WAG. Personally, if the measurement is too close, then I pass on the item as I have found out the hard way (no return) that it probably won't fit. IMHO.

Archived