Wheelchair traveler

Wheely

Active ex-wheelchair athlete and his able bodied wife, his number one fan, have been cruising since 1988. We have been on less accessible and very accessible ships and have enjoyed many experiences. We will be on the Dec 8 Mercury cruise, the 5th time on X, which has become our favorite cruise line out of our 16 prior cruises.

We are first timers using Cruise Critic Connections to meet shipmates prior to embarkation, and even get a party out of this. Sounds like fun.

We are 60-70’s and both retired. We are “Jeopardy” addicts and enjoy taxi tours of various ports. Jumping curbs in 3rd world countries is not insurmountable. This is our first trans-canal two-week experience. Years ago we went through the Gatun Locks. While watching our ship going through each step of the locks was extremely fascinating, we’re looking forward to the entire passage this time.

We have already booked an area tour of Puntarenas, Costa Rica, including a jungle crocodile safari.

Leaving from the Chicago area in December and arriving in the tropical heat will be a dramatic contrast. Only 100+ days to go. Yes!!! :)

Active ex-wheelchair athlete and his able bodied wife, his number one fan, have been cruising since 1988. We have been on less accessible and very accessible ships and have enjoyed many experiences. We will be on the Dec 8 Mercury cruise, the 5th time on X, which has become our favorite cruise line out of our 16 prior cruises.

We are first timers using Cruise Critic Connections to meet shipmates prior to embarkation, and even get a party out of this. Sounds like fun.

We are 60-70’s and both retired. We are “Jeopardy” addicts and enjoy taxi tours of various ports. Jumping curbs in 3rd world countries is not insurmountable. This is our first trans-canal two-week experience. Years ago we went through the Gatun Locks. While watching our ship going through each step of the locks was extremely fascinating, we’re looking forward to the entire passage this time.

We have already booked an area tour of Puntarenas, Costa Rica, including a jungle crocodile safari.

Leaving from the Chicago area in December and arriving in the tropical heat will be a dramatic contrast. Only 100+ days to go. Yes!!! :)

Sounds like you're psyched for a wonderful time on a great trip. As to you last comment, I remember all too well the dramatic contrast, which is greater, and not nearly as much fun, going back to Chicago. We no longer live there and I miss many places and aspects -- but not those Chicago winters!

wheely if you have not already done so, go to the board for celebrity and then go down to the connections threads and mercury. you will find at least three pages of people going on that same 12/08 cruise that you can make contact with. you will get much more action there because this board is used mainly by handicapped or otherwise disabled from all the cruise lines:)

We will be on the Mercury before you (November 10) and are also looking forward to our trip. This is our first time on this ship, second on Celebrity. Our first was a transcanal and we had a great time.

Have you been on her before? Any info on the accessibility would be great. We have an accessible cabin for 3.

Do be sure to check out the message for others going on your same cruise. We always enjoy getting together with other CC members on board, regardless of the ship.

Gooselace

Yes, we are psyched. Every cruise is a new adventure, and good or bad it is always memorable. You're originally from Chicago - Are you glad to be away from here? We like the four seasons, even the "bearing up" during 100 degree summer temps and the shivery snow and ice. Can't beat the daily weather changes. Of course, being in a wheelchair has its challenges. I suppose you left here for warmer climates.

The Mercury is a sister-ship to the Galaxy, which we love. We are assuming that we will have a similar experience on this ship.

Have you been to the Roll Call postings for your Nov 10 cruise yet?

leoandhugh,

Thanks for the pointers. I have also posted on the Roll Call site as well as this one, hoping to contact wheelchair travelers as well as our fellow cruisers on the Mercury.

Sorry Gooselace and Splinter

I'm a newbie to posting on any website. I replied to two people with one post. I'll be more organized next time.

Quite understandable. I'm often of two minds myself;).

I'll be off to the Baltic on the Star Princess next week.

We will be on the Mercury before you (November 10) and are also looking forward to our trip. This is our first time on this ship, second on Celebrity. Our first was a transcanal and we had a great time.

Have you been on her before? Any info on the accessibility would be great. We have an accessible cabin for 3.

To Splinter

Twice we were on the Galaxy (a sister ship to the Mercury with the same deck plan and cabin nos). That was in 1997 and we know there have been refittings on both ships since then, which can only mean better.

My wife keeps a journal on daily activities on every cruise. But I write up the accessibility features I find. This is a quote from a 1997 journal:

First impression of Galaxy: “Wow, this is wonderful!” Our cabin (#5044 on Plaza Deck) is located near the guest relations desk in an extremely wide (15? feet) hallway. All the eight handicap rooms are in this area. (Editor’s note: Travel agent Gail tells me there are a total of 16 handicapped cabins in various classes, but I did not know this while I was on ship so did not check them out). There are mirrors everywhere. In the elevators, three large mirrors in our cabin, which is so spacious (over 300 sq. ft.). We have never had this much space. Two separate closets, four drawers in each closet, plus shelving, three drawers in desk, four drawers in bedside table. Lights all over the place, mini-bar. The bathroom is large. It has a roll-in shower, an adjustable sink and mirror, many towel bars and hooks.

Various Observances Relative to Handicapped Passengers Accessibility

Corridors - did not have to travel any narrow corridors to get to elevators, cabin, or public rooms.

Elevators - all large size (3 banks of at least 3 elevators in each bank)

Decks - can reach all decks with elevators including sun deck and jogging track. Can not get to very topmost partial deck.

Public washrooms - none have raised entryways, two have handicap stalls with grab-bars & phone; plus there is one unisex for handicapped only!

Automatic eye double doors in strategic places, but not everywhere. Where not automatic, doors have slight ramp at push doors at ALL exits to outside decks.

Show theater - handicap viewing area poorly planned in rear of one of two levels. Celebrity was intending to remedy this.

Dining room seating - wheelchairs are seated just inside door in the corner on second level which is convenient for distance but does not allow for viewing the beauty of the dining room.

Cabin - 46” between beds, the two tall closets each had a pull-down clothes rod on a strong spring, pull up or down solid grab-bar on open side of raised toilet with non-movable grab-bars on wall sides (same in public washrooms), large size solid fold down shower seat in roll-in shower with good wrap-around shower curtain which keeps floor outside shower dry, shower hose on adjustable verticle rod, washroom has wide, sliding pocket door, two phones in room plus one in washroom, no other grab-bars or any supports around beds.

Hope this info is helpful to you. After your cruise on the Mercury, please let us know the particulars of accessibility.

By the way, I noticed 'way back in March of 2005 you wrote about a website for Costa Rica wheelchair tours. It is now www.gowithwheelchairs.com . We used Erik in 2003 out of Limon and we have booked him for a tour out of Puntarenas, CR in Dec.

Splinter: Hi. Will you read my post on a new thread and give me some suggestions, Please. I think Mark really needs this cruise and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it as easy for him as I can. He has Epstein Barr and hasn't been well for a few months now. Can't work, just exhausted all the time.

Thanks. Regards to your family.

Eileen

Eileen, so sorry to hear this. I hope you both are on the mend soon. I wrote a lengthy response to your questions. Where are you going on your cruise? I hope you have as good a time as we all had when we were together on the Island Princess!

Hi again Splinter,

I was answering your post while you were writing this...funny.

I think our Hawaii cruise will be very difficult to top. We went to Alaska in June and even though we had a wonderful cruise, it wasn't like our Island cruise where we bonded with our cc friends. This Sept. cruise has a very nice roll call so maybe it will be better cc-wise.

We're going to Vancouver and coming down the coast on a repositioning cruise. I booked it way back in January. Our problems have just hit us in July and it's been a bit rough going, but we keep telling ourselves it's just temporary. I think a change of scenery will do Mark good. We have a balcony cabin. don't really need a handicap cabin because I can hobble around and the wheelchair I've borrowed folds up very flat so it will easily fit in the closet area behind our clothes. At first I was concerned about the airport scenerio, you helped a lot. Now I'm concerned about being pushed on the ship if it will wear Mark out. Hopefully I will have a boot by then and that will help me get around easier.

Thanks again,

Eileen

Not sure what type of wheelchair you are using, but if you have at least one good leg, I would be sure that you have what is called a "hemi-height" wheelchair. This sits lower to the ground, and allows you to push with both your hands and your stronger leg. I used a chair like this when I had my ACL replaced 2 years ago, and used it at work and in the community. Much easier than just pushing with your hands. You can still have a footrest for your weaker leg.

The other option would be to rent a scooter. The down side of this is most will not fit into a standard room doorway, so you would need to arrange a place to park and charge it with the cruiseline. They won't let you park it in the hallway.

I have moved by the way, and my old e-mail no longer works. You can contact me through splinter@spinalinjury.net and I will get my new home address to you.

• 1 month later...

My Wife has MS and usually uses an electric wheelchair. We have cruised before on RCL and Princess. We are considering the January cruise on the Lirica which goes from Fort Lauderdale to Panama and back. We would be taking a manual wheelchair instead of the monster...

What ports of call did you go to and how was access at the ports?

Were you able to go to all of the ports you wanted to?

Did you do any of the shore tours?

Thanks

and keep sailing...

Magician

since you are considering Lirica, I suggest you check very carefully concerning handicapped accessibility on the ship in general and availability of the few accessible staterooms(inside) that are available. because msc ships are designed for the european market mainly, they have received some unfavorable publicity about lack of accessibility. just do your homework up front so you are aware of what conditions may challenge you:)

Accessibility, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. In reality, it differs for each and every physically disabled person and his/her companion. What works for one, or even hundreds, may not work for you. We just came across your posting after returning from a week at our favorite all-inclusive resort near Playa del Carmen. My wife keeps a daily journal on each of our trips and we keep it with our pics to remind us later on what we did when we feel like reminiscing. I then add my two cents about wheelchair accessibility. Below are excerpts from our journal. If you want further details, or even a pic or two, contact us at: weelywane@sbcglobal.net

Synopsis of MSC Lirica Cruise

Our 11-day cruise Jan 13-24, 2006 on the MSC Lirica, an Italian ship, began in Ft. Lauderdale. Our ports of call were Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Cartegena, Columbia; San Blas, Panama; Cristobal, Panama; Limon, Costa Rica; and Roatan, Honduras. There were many side tours available, but we had pretty much “been there, done that” before. We did visit the “tourist souvenir shops” areas near the pier which were much improved in cleanliness and safety from our previous visits. We met more interesting people on this ship than any other ship prior to this one. Besides the Americans and Canadians (mostly French) we talked with Swedes, Brits, Belgians, and even Ukrainians. The cruise director, who was Italian, smoothly spoke five languages (English, German, French, Italian and Spanish) every time he made an announcement. We were impressed by his fluency.

The ship’s floor plan was well designed, especially for a wheelchair, except there was a one-inch rib across the floor occasionally. Wayne “popped” over the bumps, but the un-athletic old types had to be taken backwards over them. And there were several of them among the population which averaged as old as we are or older (we are 76 & 66). Our room (15’ X 14’) was terrific: with a high bed, strong toilet seat, grab bars, storage, and roll-in shower with pull-down large seat.

Of the 17 cruises on various cruise lines that we have taken this one was easily in the top third for variety of enjoyable features, wheelchair accessibility, and camaraderie. The food was only average compared to Celebrity, Holland-America, Princess, and Norwegian CL.

Would we try the MSC ships again. Yes, if the price be right.

Archived