NCL New York - Transferes from the Hemsley to Dock?

John&Charlie

Hi

We are traveling on the Dawn in October but as we are coming from the UK we are staying in the Hemsley for three nights prior to departure date, does anybody know what sort of time our transfer from the hotel will be and how long it takes to get to the port?

Thanks

Charlie

Hi

We are traveling on the Dawn in October but as we are coming from the UK we are staying in the Hemsley for three nights prior to departure date, does anybody know what sort of time our transfer from the hotel will be and how long it takes to get to the port?

Thanks

Charlie

You're only 3 miles from the pier. The most it will take is 15 minutes to get to the pier.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Thanks Monty

does anybody know what happends if i didn't take the ncl transfer?

charlie

Last year we were staying at the Helmsley for a 3day NY pre-cruise on the Dawn. They told us to be ready for pickup at about 1200 but they didn't turn up till nearly 2.00pm because of traffic delays cos "there's a parade on". Apparently there's a parade every Sunday in New York, so they should have known. The NCL rep was there waiting with us however and we were busy chatting with our fellow UK cruisers, so it didn't feel that bad.

The transfer to the port doesn't take long (even with the detour round the back of the parade, providing yet another photo op) it was only about 20mins tops.

As we were late arriving at the ship, there were very few queues and we were the only people (our three groups from the Helmsley) at the non US desk in the terminal. We then just had a brief wait to pick up key cards and we finally got on the ship at about 3.00pm. Not much time to do a little unpacking before muster drill at 3.30. We missed the opportunity to explore the ship before sailaway at 4.00pm.

Hopefully this will not be repeated this year as we are sailing on Saturday. If so, with the benefit of our previous experience, we will just jump in a cab and make our own way to the ship. I reckon it would be about £10 cab fare. If the NCL rep is there, as last year, we could just tell them, or inform the hotel desk or even the other passengers.

On the other hand, maybe arriving at 1330-200pm just puts you in the peak of the embarkation process, and you queue for longer.

There are some pics of the Helmsley in my pics in my signature. If you have any Q's please ask.

Are you sure that is your hotel, we have been put in the Crowne Plaza this time? Another UK cruiser on our sailinghas been changed to there from the Helmesley.

You can just tell the NCL rep to skip it and take a cab when YOU are ready. $10-$15 and you are done.

Personally, I hate to be herded about like cattle

How big is the trunk on a standard NYC cab ?

Would it take 3 or 4 suitcases?

After our last experience, I always said that for the sake of $15 I didn't want to be messed about again.

If it's purchases they can do with out on the cruise, ship (use "post") to send them back home to merry old UK prior to leaving. Don't know if you are continuing your holiday after the cruise, or if DW and DD are planning to come to NYC with EMPTY suitcases to fill up :eek: but this can also save on extra luggage to tote home.

Have fun Cruzin'

Jacquelyn :D

If it's purchases they can do with out on the cruise, ship (use "post") to send them back home to merry old UK prior to leaving. Don't know if you are continuing your holiday after the cruise, or if DW and DD are planning to come to NYC with EMPTY suitcases to fill up :eek: but this can also save on extra luggage to tote home.

Have fun Cruzin'

Jacquelyn :D

It just gets worse: imagine if they brought empty suitcases then theHAD to buy everything when they got there:eek: :eek:

Please, no more helpful ideas:)

I would agree to skip the cruise bus and just take a taxi at your own leisure and on your own schedule.

There are a few Helmsley hotels and I don't know which one you're in, but from any of them the fare will be less than $10. maybe even about $7, depending on traffic. 15 - 20% is customary tip, but I'd give a couple of dollars more if the driver helps you with luggage. (and a couple to your bellman who helps get you the taxi) So, at the most, it'll cost you $15.00 with tip. (there is no extra charge for luggage and all charges on plainly stated on a sticker in the back of the taxi)

I hope you get to spend a few days here and experience NY.

Jane

Archived