SCUBA Excursions- Ships or Your Own ?

airbusdrvr

Darn,

If I had known Dive Masters and Instructors were a "Dime a Dozen" I sure would not have spent all that time and money getting the additional training!!! Thanks for setting me straight.Next Sunday I think I will let all the Open Water divers that have been wanting to dive the Mount Carmel Church Cemetery (of Deliverance Fame) in Lake Jocassee,SC go ahead and give it a try.The water temp is up to 58 degrees and the water level of the lake is down so the Graveyard is only a 135 foot dive--just a little over the "rec' limit so I am sure these inexperienced divers will do just fine!!! I will let all of you know how many of them make it back to the boat without serious injury!! Then I won't be a DM anymore and can just follow the crowd!!!!!

Most people don't realize the training and responsibility that goes hand in hand with being a DM. I started working toward it 2 summers ago and STILL have one skill and 2 small written tests left to go. Between our short season in the NE, working for myself, running a house with 3 kids , it's hard for me to fit it into the schedule, but I will get it done somehow. Of course, my husband managed to do it in half the time.... What you are doing requires significant skills and no small amount of dedication, but, of course you already know that.

DM's are a dime a dozen and local DM's and shops are not impressed by a DM or Instructor card for that matter.

Just spoke with my sister last night and asked her about your statement Damselfish. She is a PADI Course Director and worked for a dive operation in the Keys for 6 years.

In a nutshell she said your comment was BS.

I've dove GC and Coz several times while on the western caribbean cruise and almost booked my own dive last March while on Mariner of the Seas, but I always chicken out. The reason is a fear that something will cause a delay and I will miss the ship. But I'm also tired of the cattle car dives that are offered by the cruise ship. And all divers are treated as beginner divers which I understand but I'm ready for something more.

I just booked the western caribbean cruise on Legend of the Seas that goes to GC,Cozumel,Belize and Costa Maya. Has anyone booked your own dive at any of these places and if so with whom? I'm pretty sure I'm going to book my own in Coz since the ship doesn't leave until 10pm

I only booked the first dive thru the cruise ship. Every year since I booked with operators others have recommed or I have dove with before. Last year u missed both Cozumel and St Thomas dives because the ship was late arriving. As soon as I knew we were going to be late I emailed the provider and wasn' t charged. I hate cattle boats to that is why I book my own. I usually don't have a partner till I get on the dive boat.

Bob

No, I can't think that what you describe would be a common practice on the ship's dive excursion. Generally, everyone is lead (herded) by the DM on the dive.

My experience on Cozumel has only been with small boat dive operators where the groups are usually 6 or less and everyone stays together in a fairly loose group. Divers got to stay down as long as they wanted, air and NDL time permitting, and everyone had their own dive computer. Personally, I can't see how anyone dives without one.

I agree Bruce, I'm finding myself in agreement with you on everything I've read that you have posted. I'm Jersey wreck diver with over 1000 dives under my weight belt. You give these cruisers very professional advice. I like your pic, is that a DUI? I just bought a custom flex50/50 last year and it's killer. Oregon Huh, coooold. Dive safe, Dive often!:cool:

Thats absurd. Local DMs and operators in general respect the level of competency achieved by anyone who receives DM or Instructor certifications. Dime a dozen? Hardly, for the most part the divers who come off cruise ships are novice and have far fewer than 100 dives logged. That's like a doctor saying interns or residents are a dime a dozen. That simply is not correct.

I also disagree with damselfishs' dime a dozen analogy. I'm not a dive master but as a NJ wreck diver I find that even I get more respect when I dive anywhere in the carribean. As a matter of fact I find local DM's and DI's go out of their way and go to better dive sites to try to impress or accomidate me. I think a DM or a DI would gather at least the same respect. If not more.:cool:

Archived