Canada Place - Wheelchair Availability

cdnscrapper

I sometimes have a mobility problem and was wondering if there are wheelchairs available at Canada Place for embarkation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will not need one but............... Also is it a long walk from where the shuttle drops you off to the ship?

Thanks for any info

You didn't mention what cruise line you were sailing with, but the cruise lines seem to well organized, and the embarkation procedures are generally quick and orderly. There can be as many as five ships docked at Canada place at one time so it can get rather busy. If your ship is further down the dock you may have a fairly long walk.

I don't recall seeing wheel chairs, but then I wasn't looking for them. I think that you would be wise to contact the cruise line's customer service office before hand, and explain your concern. I am certain that they can arrange for a wheel chair to be available when you arrive. You will have a phone number, in your cruise documents, for the port representative where you can also check at the cruise terminal. It would be best to be sure that you can board comfortably, and not take a chance on long walks or standing in lines.

Hope you have a great cruise.

petert

If you occasionally need a wheelchair, I would urge you to get one now and plan to take it with you. You can then use it in the airport, for embarkation, around the ship, and for ports. There are long distances to walk on many ships, and some significant time spent standing too. In addition, it is a VERY long walk from the plane through customs when you fly into Vancouver. If you use a wheelchair, the airport staff will assist you.

Most ships have wheelchairs for embarkation and disembarkation, but most will not let you keep the chair for the duration of the cruise (they are to be shared) and more and more they are not allowing them to be removed from the ship in ports. In addition, the ship chairs are usually heavy and may not fit you correctly.

If you purchase an inexpensive, lightweight chair (http://www.spinlife.com is a good on-line source). You could also rent one from your local DME. You can take it to the door of the plane and gate check it for no additional luggage charge.

Either way, most cruise lines provide expedited embarkation for those with mobility problems, and assistance at disembarkation as well.

Thanks a lot Petert and Splinter for your info - have just talked with Celebrity and one will be waiting for me at embarkation and will also have assistance at the end of the cruise. DH has made arrangements with the airline - helps that he works there. :)

Archived