Expired Drivers License

cougar242

My husband has just realized that his license has expired--may not be able to get them renewed before we leave. Is this going to pose a big problem. Anyone else been in this predicament. We do not have passports yet. Waiting on them. He ahs birth certificate and all that other stuff... Any thoughts???

THanks

Make sure if you are flying that you have a valid drivers lic...They can deny you boarding if you dont....Sometimes they will take Social Security Card or Voters card....Just giving you a heads up....:)

In Alabama you can get an State ID Card the same day. (Well the it is actually paper till the regular one comes in.) Just make sure to take a certified birth certificate, social security card and his old license.

They will then take $25 from him, take his picture, give him a VALID paper ID that can be used for your cruise. Then when he gets back he needs to renew his license, ASAP. If he gets stopped that is a hefty ticket to pay.

I have been through all of the above with one kids or another. Getting Drivers license, Id card and paying for a ticktet. Also, if you go early (about a half hour before they open) in the morning the crowds are not as bad.

A word for those who have not renewed a CDL here if you are from another state. You do have to take the test over. Same for the drivers license. You MUST take the written test (on a computer now). If your license is expired more than 60 days you also have to take the driving part of the test.

As somone above posted the website it is WEALTH of information.

Thank you for all your responses... I do not feel confident trying to get back in without him having his licenses or being denied at the pier. I do work for a major air carrier and do know that you can travel as long as you have 2 other forms of government issue id. So knowing that i thought maybe it would be the same. I just thought someone on these boards may have went to the pier without it.. I wish I would have went into his wallet and looked at the exp. date....

I do not know why he wants to keep CDL, he will never drive a truck again-- go figure but I called and was told as long as it was not one year expired that that will simply reissue out, so he is going to go first thing in the morning. This is our first trip in 2 years on a crusie and do not want it to be ruined...

Thanks again

CHEXMIX--- i did call them and one time we are told yes he does and I called today and they said no he does not. So confusing... she had said as long as it was not one year expired but maybe she was referring to regular license but i did make sure to tell her...

Oh well, he can drop the CDL..

My husband has just realized that his license has expired--may not be able to get them renewed before we leave. Is this going to pose a big problem. Anyone else been in this predicament. We do not have passports yet. Waiting on them. He ahs birth certificate and all that other stuff... Any thoughts???

THanks

I know that DMV in NC is a bit slow but if he gets there first thing in the morning (they open at 8:00, so be ther at 7:45) he'll be out before 9:00 a.m.

As you know in NC your renewal license is printed and handed to you on the spot.

I am with a few of the other posters here. I wouldn't be so worried about getting on the boat as getting back in to the U.S. An expired lic isn't a valid form of ID.

For whatever reason this makes no sense to me.

If your driver's license has expired it means you can't legally drive, however YOU haven't expired. It is still a form of ID with your picture on it issued by a government body.

Are there gangs out there making money on providing expired ID's.

Cheers,

Peter

I am with a few of the other posters here. I wouldn't be so worried about getting on the boat as getting back in to the U.S. An expired lic isn't a valid form of ID.

Exactly.....

I wouldn't be so worried about getting on the boat, as I would be having trouble at one of your Ports of Call or back into the US when you arrive home....

Bill

Archived