Embarkation Procedure

Wittonian

We are leaving on the Sea Princess on 2/9/06 (or 9/2/06) from Southampton. Can someone please let us know what baggage is taken on board by the porters. In other words do they just what you would normally check in on a plane or do they also take hand luggage (carry on).

You can turn over as much luggage as you feel safe with to the porters. The problem is that they may not be as gentle with them as you would like (like throwing them around and then stacking them high on pallets to load them onto the ship). I would suggest if you have breakable objects that are not in hard sided suitcases especially things like cameras or a laptop computer to carry it abroad yourself. I would say the same thing if you have a carryon that has expensive jewery or breakable bottles that are not in a hard sided suitcase that is locked.

IMHO

Have a great next cruise.

You can turn over as much luggage as you feel safe with to the porters. The problem is that they may not be as gentle with them as you would like (like throwing them around and then stacking them high on pallets to load them onto the ship). I would suggest if you have breakable objects that are not in hard sided suitcases especially things like cameras or a laptop computer to carry it abroad yourself. I would say the same thing if you have a carryon that has expensive jewery or breakable bottles that are not in a hard sided suitcase that is locked.

IMHO

Thanks, that's helpful and what I thought.

We are leaving on the Sea Princess on 2/9/06 (or 9/2/06) from Southampton. Can someone please let us know what baggage is taken on board by the porters. In other words do they just what you would normally check in on a plane or do they also take hand luggage (carry on).
They'll take whatever baggage you want them to take. You're probably better off keeping your carry-on with you since it could be hours before your luggage is delivered to your cabin. Also, I would assume your carry-on bag has your valuables which is another reason to keep it with you.

One nice thing about Princess is that you can go directly to your cabin when you board and put your carry-on and valuables away and lock the door before you go and explore the ship. I much prefer this to having to wait around with my stuff before being able to go to the cabin, as is the case on several other cruiselines.

Glad to have helped. I also always tip the porters a $ or so a bag just in case. I don't know if it helps but we have never sailed and found a bag didn't make the trip.

The OP stated they were leaving on a cruise FROM Southampton (and the question was about embarkation).

I think if the OP would give the porter (Stevador) a $$ (dollar) tip per bag they would be a little upset! The OP should be using British currency (Pound Sterling) for any tip. And since the UK coins also include a one pound coin .. I would probably consider a 5GBP note (close to $10USD) for a tip. The coins are hard to understand until you are familar with them (the pound coin is thicker but about the same size as other coins). I'd hate to be tipping the porter 25pence instead of a pound!

Archived