Snorkeling

We love to snorkel, but hate excursions with too many folks kicking us in the head.

We are doing 10/15 Freedom member cruise. Other than Labadee, will we have an easy time just walking to a beach to dive in or is it all payment required? I know there are others like us who bring their gear to enjoy what mother nature has to offer.

Thank in advance for any help from those who do it also.

I know on GC, the beaches are just a short taxi ride away. I don't know how good the snorkeling is there, tho! There's no need to pay for an excursion, tho. Go to the library and get a book on the Caribbean Islands. It will tell you the best snorkeling sites, best swimming sites, best shops, etc..... These books are invaluable, especially if you are going off on your own!

When we were in Labadee we walked to the beach across from the ship. The snorkeling was great. My kids saw lots of fish and an octopus. They loved the snorkeling. In Cozumel we took a taxi to a beach that also had great snorkeling but, I can't remember the name. In Grand Cayman we went on Capt. Bryans excursion. It was great. I think there were about 25 people in our group. We went to a great snorking spot and then to see the sting rays. We loved this excursion.

For Cozumel, there is a nice beach bar called Paradise Beach. This is about a 15 minute cab ride away and is free admission and also has a boat to take you out for a snorkeling trip. Beach is very nice, food is excellent and beer is cold. They also have lounge chairs free of charge.

Grand Cayman has very good snorkeling as well. There are many companies that provide trips, whether you book ahead or line up something once you get off of the boat. I would definitely stay away from ship sponsored snorkeling excursions unless you want to see more finns and butts then fish.

Haven't heard anything about good or bad about snorkeling in Jamaica. Guessing since I haven't heard anything it probably isn't that good.

Archived