Zaandam to Alaska, August 18-25, 2006

Old As Dirt Mom

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for putting them up.:)

"In Ketchikan, we did the ship's tour entitled "Bear Watch by Floatplane". We had a gorgeous view from our floatplane to Traitor's Cove, where we saw two black bear at the fish ladder there, after a short and pleasant hike. Two park rangers were on hand to answer questions. Our guide was a college student from Wisconsin who was spending his summer working in Alaska.

Almost all the pilots, guides, bus drivers, mushers, and office help we encountered on our excursions were actually students or residents from the "lower 48", who had come up to earn some money for the summer while experiencing Alaska. I think I would recommend that you call a local operator directly in Ketchikan to book a floatplane trip or bear watch, rather than go through the ship. Budget Queen over on the Alaska board has lots of good advice, and can recommend some good independent opertors in Ketchikan. Just my two cents."

Agree, Island Wings took me to Traitors Cove last year for less and Michelle is a great pilot. A beautiful spot but didn't see any bears that day. :(

I was very impressed with your review. You maintained an interesting sense of humor as well as writing an excellent review. I could just picture you hanging over the side of the boat - a lovely shade of green.;) You must be quite a good student. I'm taking my teenage son to Alaska next May as a reward for graduating from high school (it was difficult for him to stay in school - he's not much of a sit-still kid). His 19th birthday is the day we arrive in Victoria - I'm planning on taking him on a pub tour. I believe the drinking age is 19 there. Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Daniel is kind of an extreme kid - he likes downhill mountain biking' date=' paintball tournaments and drumming in an alternative rock band. He's avidly looking for a shorex that will let him ride his mountain bike down a glacier! He's always wanted to go to Alaska, so this will be our first cruise there. We're looking forward to it.

Happy sailing,

Karenlynne[/quote']

Your son might enjoy ziplining....it is offered in Juneau and Ketchikan.

Thank you for making the time to share your cruise with us. I think you boarded with reasonable expectations and therefore had no choice but to have a better than average, first time experience. Your holiday cruise will be more relaxing, given the ports, and perhaps more conducive to your vacationing style.

I am stunned, in awe, blown away by your daughter's apparent writing skills. It's obvious that she takes after her mom- oh the horror of it all !

BTW, have you finished the laundry yet?

I am so glad you had such a wonderful trip Karin!!! :D

My DH suffers with sea sickness and found that the patch is very effective and long lasting. I have also used them and have a supply for our upcoming Trans-Atlantic.

Please thank you daughter for her wonderful review. :D I can only imagine that being that seasick put a bit of a damper on the Sitka trip for her. So glad you had the opportunity to see Sitka, I think that is my Alaskan favorite port.

I had to LOL at m-a m's daughter's discription of the whale-watching 'experience' out of Sitka. Been there, done that - only I was inside with a bag on my lap. I did manage to open an eye long enough to get a glimpse of what may have been a whale's fluke.

My DH suffers with sea sickness and found that the patch is very effective and long lasting.

The 'patch' isn't 100% effective. I was wearing one in the above mentioned situation. :o

Karin,

Thanks so much for sharing not only your trip with us but also your lovely photos. Also a big thank you to Leah for adding her perspective of cruising. That poor girl, nothing is so bad as sea sickness and knowing that if only the boat would stop and one could get off, one would feel well again. It must have been a hard excursion for her!

We have not been to Alaska as yet and are planning to visit both Canada and Alaska with friends in 2008. You thoughts regarding excursions are very timely and I have printed out the ones you recommended for future reference.

I am so glad that the cruise and your family time together was so enjoyable.

Jennie

Karin,

Thanks so much for sharing not only your trip with us but also your lovely photos. Also a big thank you to Leah for adding her perspective of cruising. That poor girl, nothing is so bad as sea sickness and knowing that if only the boat would stop and one could get off you would feel well again. It must have been a hard excursion for her!

We have not been to Alaska as yet and are planning to visit both Canada and Alaska with friends in 2008. You thoughts regarding excursions are very timely and I have printed out the ones you recommended for future reference.

I am so glad that the cruise and your family time together was so enjoyable.

Jennie

Welcome back MAM. Thanks for the interesting and informative review. Please, keep the info coming. Thanks to your daughter for her unique perspective. I really enjoyed it. We will be on the Zaandam in 65 days and are fascinated by anything you have to say about her.

Welcome back MAM. Thanks for the interesting and informative review. Please, keep the info coming. Thanks to your daughter for her unique perspective. I really enjoyed it. We will be on the Zaandam in 65 days and are fascinated by anything you have to say about her.

Whoa, Kakalina, it's dangerous to ask me to keep the info coming!;) Believe me, I want to talk about our cruise on Zaandam! She's a lovely ship! I've saved every single Daily Program, menu, and piece of info abut Zaandam that was placed in our cabin mailbox, or laid out on the bed for us each evening. I don't have a scanner, but I'd be happy to look up any info you need and post it here for you. My daughters and I are planning to put together a scrapbook of our Alaska cruise as a keepsake.

One thing I did realize from our cruise last week, is that the personnel onboard these cruiseships come and go with regularity. As crew contracts expire, staff depart to be replaced by new faces. For instance, the Whyte Brothers (the Beatles singing duo) disembarked the day we did, to return to England. Romeo, the pianist at the Piano Bar, finished his contract and has returned to the Philippines. Many of the ship's officers on our cruise were not the same ones who began the Alaska season on Zaandam. It's something to keep in mind when we read other passengers' reviews. The staff they encountered may no longer be a part of the ship's crew by the time we prepare to board.

Hammybee, yes we have done the laundry:eek: , and now my oldest daughter is already busy packing her suitcase again for her "quickie" trip to Japan where she will attend our nephew's wedding in Kobe. Thanks for your compliments on her writing style. Our older daughter is a voracious reader, and has always done well with her English studies.

Sher, I'm not sure about seasickness remedies, much as I appreciate your recommendation for the patch. I don't think seasickness is the complete issue in my daughter's case. I'm going to be completely honest here, and say that while my daughter had a nice time on our cruise, she didn't have a great time, and she really doesn't want to go on any more cruises. It's not her "cup of tea". She's done a fair amount of sailing here in the Seattle area, and has not had any seasickness problems before. (granted, sailing in a small sail boat on Lake Union is not the same as cruising on the open sea, or bouncing around in a small boat off the coast of Alaska.) Needless to say, we've been having family discussions about our upcoming cruise plans for Christmas.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind encouragement and comments.:)

Middle aged Mom:

I am so happy to hear that the resturant staff kept a close watch with your food allergies. I am allergic to wheat and shellfish and have only been on one cruise. My allergies have held me back from another one. Do you mind saying what you are allergic to?

I feel that people are more aware of peanut allergies than others. Did you contact the cruise line before your trip? If so, how far ahead?

Thanks for you help with this!!!:)

I'm going to be completely honest here, and say that while my daughter had a nice time on our cruise, she didn't have a great time, and she really doesn't want to go on any more cruises.

What a dilema. If it is any help, I think the intinerary may make a difference.

It's sun, warmth, beaches, more relaxed and a "don't worry-be happy" sort of thing as well as the opportunity to say "We swam in the Panama Canal" (Gatun Lake- a stretch, but what the heck).

The timing of your cruise was a reason why there were not as many kids on board. College kids are back in school ( perhaps a blessing given your oldest daughter's age) and many schools in the Midwest are already into week 2. There will more kids on board in December. And all it may take is, one new friend. It's fate.

Middle aged Mom:

I am so happy to hear that the resturant staff kept a close watch with your food allergies. I am allergic to wheat and shellfish and have only been on one cruise. My allergies have held me back from another one. Do you mind saying what you are allergic to?

I feel that people are more aware of peanut allergies than others. Did you contact the cruise line before your trip? If so, how far ahead?

Thanks for you help with this!!!:)

Hi Southern Traveler:

Where in the south are you from? (My husband was born and reared in Georgia, and most of his family are still there.)

My daughter is the one with the food allergies. HAL was simply excellent in their response. My daughter doesn't eat shellfish, beef, pork, lamb, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, wheat flour, yeast, refined sugar, pasteurized dairy products, egg yolks, or citrus fruits. We sent our travel agent a complete description of what our daughter can and cannot eat. Our travel agent in turn submitted this info via fax to HAL's Access and Compliance Department, using a Special Requirements Information (SRI) form. HAL's Access and Compliance Department notified Zaandam's kitchen and medical department. The Zaandam crew assured us that they could accommodate our daughter's dietary restrictions.

Upon boarding, we contacted Mr. Sanjay Nariani, the Maitre d'Hotel, who knew immediately who we were and what our dietary request was. He turned us over to the Head Dining Room Steward for our dining area, Mr. Asep Saepulsah. Asep personally made sure that all the food served to our daughter met her criteria. The first night he had already ordered certain dishes for her based upon her dietary needs, and every night after that, he personally went over the menu for the subsequent night with her, and made sure that she was only served what she could eat. As she couldn't eat any of the salad dressings that were offered, each evening oil and vinegar cruets were placed on our table so she could make her own salad dressings.

Now, that seems like a long list of people involved in one young girl's diet, and a long process. But the separate HAL staff and departments communicated efficiently with each other, were responsive to our request, and the final result was that my daughter was able to eat her dinners without having to worry. During the day, she either went to the Lido buffet, and picked out what she could eat, or, because we were suite passengers, she had access to the food in the Neptune Lounge, and found many items there that she could eat. She also brought a few supplementary items from home.

Speaking of food, it's dinner time here on the west coast. My husband just got back from work, and the girls have set the table, and dinner's ready!:) Hope this helps you, Southern Traveler!

Karin

Thanks to you and your daughter for your wonderful reviews and for posting those beautiful pictures. Should you decide to have your daughter try "the patch" be aware that sometimes those cause problems. Our adult daughter sometimes gets seasick, she tried the patch, and had serious sight problems. We visited the ship's Dr. and he told her to remove the patches immediately. It took a while for her sight to clear up (everything was very blurry) but fortunately she had no more problems. Now she is a seasoned cruiser and seems to get along fine at sea! Thank goodness 'cause cruising with our whole family is our favorite kind of get together. I hope your daughter will try again! Our two teenage granddaughters, 19 & 16, and our grandson, 15, all love it!

Dear Middle aged Mom,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am from Charlotte, NC. So glad everything worked so well for your daughter. Have printed out your reply for my husband to read. You are so kind to give me such good information.

Many thanks,

Ora

You're very welcome, Ora. One last word of advice, that I forgot to mention. Keep a copy of all the paperwork used in the process. I made a copy of our initial request to our travel agent, and she in turn sent us a copy of the response from HAL. I showed these copies to our Maitre D'Hotel once we were onboard Zaandam. It helped him to identify us and our needs immediately.

(My husband was born in Savannah, and went to Emory in Atlanta. His grandparents lived near Waynesville, NC for many years.)

Karin

Karin,

Just thought of a question. Was there free hot chocolate served outside on Glacier Bay day? If so , where was it? Never did find it on my last two Alaskan cruises on the Veendam.

Sean, I know that pea soup, mulled wine, and hot chocolate (both plain or spiked with various liqueurs) were available outside on decks 3,4,8,9, and 10 that day. The mulled wine was only available on deck 8 (the Lido). To be honest, we didn't partake of the hot chocolate, only the pea soup, so I don't know for certain whether the hot chocolate was free or not. I'm assuming it was, but perhaps someone else here who was also on the cruise could comment?

Karin

Hi Karin,

What a wonderful and complete review of the cruise - I am relieving it all over again. Loved the pictures - Ed's picture of the whale's tail turned out much better than mine.

Leah - your comments were outstanding. I had no idea that you have food allergies. You really did very well on Captain Davey's tour even though you were miserable.

I agree with all your comments - it was a great cruise. We were so lucky weather wise which made the experience even more memorable.

Carol

Hi Karin,

What a wonderful and complete review of the cruise - I am relieving it all over again. Loved the pictures - Ed's picture of the whale's tail turned out much better than mine.

Leah - your comments were outstanding. I had no idea that you have food allergies. You really did very well on Captain Davey's tour even though you were miserable.

I agree with all your comments - it was a great cruise. We were so lucky weather wise which made the experience even more memorable.

Carol

Hi Carol:

After chatting with you via our CC roll call for several months, it was a privilege and a pleasure to finally meet you and your husband Bill in person, and we enjoyed getting together with you throughout the cruise. :) I'm so glad we did Cap'n Davey's "bumpy boat" tour in Sitka together! I was very impressed by the way you handled your camera and simultaneously held on to Leah as she hung over the side of the boat. My girls liked you lots.:)

You and Bill are wonderfully nice and kind people. May the two of you have many happy voyages ahead.

Karin

Sean, I know that pea soup, mulled wine, and hot chocolate (both plain or spiked with various liqueurs) were available outside on decks 3,4,8,9, and 10 that day. The mulled wine was only available on deck 8 (the Lido). To be honest, we didn't partake of the hot chocolate, only the pea soup, so I don't know for certain whether the hot chocolate was free or not. I'm assuming it was, but perhaps someone else here who was also on the cruise could comment?

Karin

Thanks Karin,

I did buy the souvineer cup with hot chocolate last year, but it didn't appear there was any free hot chocolate. Well, I will find out in less than 2 weeks!

Karin,

Thanks for the kind words. The highlight of our trip was meeting you and your family - your daughters are wonderful. Tell Jo that I will send the pictures of the dogs very soon. I just have to locate them in my files.

Carol

Thanks Karin,

I did buy the souvineer cup with hot chocolate last year, but it didn't appear there was any free hot chocolate. Well, I will find out in less than 2 weeks!

Just returned from the Zaandam cruise to Alaska from Seattle this morning. OMG - what a wonderful experience...it was our first cruise, but will NOT be our last, that is for sure.

In regards to the hot chocolate question...we did get the hot chocolate on the day we were at Glacier Bay. HOWEVER, free? hhhmmm, how to say this... I guess the hot chocolate would be considered by HAL free, yet - to get it - you have to purchase the $18 souvenir cup (which we did...2 at the time). When we got the hot chocolate on the deck, I didn't ask questions - just wanted hot chocolate, and that is how it was handled. This morning, before leaving the ship, I decided that I wanted to get one more of these particular cups as a gift. It was the same $18 as the original purchase, so that is why I say that HAL must consider the hot chocolate free (as when I purchased this last cup - it was empty).

Any other questions by anyone, I will do my best to answer them... I am so beyond jealous of those that are on the Zaandam that left this afternoon - I soooo didn't want to leave the ship today - I was in denial I guess.

Ciao for now...

Just returned from the Zaandam cruise to Alaska from Seattle this morning. OMG - what a wonderful experience...it was our first cruise, but will NOT be our last, that is for sure.

In regards to the hot chocolate question...we did get the hot chocolate on the day we were at Glacier Bay. HOWEVER, free? hhhmmm, how to say this... I guess the hot chocolate would be considered by HAL free, yet - to get it - you have to purchase the $18 souvenir cup (which we did...2 at the time). When we got the hot chocolate on the deck, I didn't ask questions - just wanted hot chocolate, and that is how it was handled. This morning, before leaving the ship, I decided that I wanted to get one more of these particular cups as a gift. It was the same $18 as the original purchase, so that is why I say that HAL must consider the hot chocolate free (as when I purchased this last cup - it was empty).

Any other questions by anyone, I will do my best to answer them... I am so beyond jealous of those that are on the Zaandam that left this afternoon - I soooo didn't want to leave the ship today - I was in denial I guess.

Ciao for now...

That was exactly the same experience I had on my Veendam Alaska last year.

It wasn't $18, but you probably got a much nicer cup than I did.

It sounds like cruisers may have to make the request to put it in a regular cup, atleast on some ships. I decided it would be nice to have the souvenir cup anyway, so I bought it. Well I will ask for the regular free cup when I leave September 8th on the Zaandam!

Your not wanting to leave the ship reminded me of myself after my first cruise. I had this vision of myself with both hands on the doorjam as crew members try to drag me out. I am protesting....."You are NOT giving MY cabin to someone else!!" LOL

Hi M-a-M/Karin,

Thanks so much for answering my and other CCer's questions. I really appreciate your daughter's candid review. She has wonderful writing skills. It should come in handy this year as she writes all those college essays! (She's doing Running Start this fall?)

Some other questions:

Was there a 'kids' menu that your younger daughter could order from? Were you comfortable letting your older daughter have the run of the ship (assuming that you did)?

What type of necessary electrons did your older DD have to have with her, i.e., ipod? laptop? DVD player?

How many folks were on the dogsledding excursion with you?

I loved looking at your photos. I had my two daughters sit down to view the slide show. They both thought the photos of your trip were cool. (I think our 'sets' of daughters are 12-18 months apart in age).

Can you tell me what camera you used in those photos? I maybe running out to buy a new camera before we leave on the Westerdam this Sunday, September 10th. DH read about one just reviewed in the NYT, but I would like to check out the camera you used as well.

Thanks so much for all your advice!

Mary (Ferry Watcher)

Archived