tour of Belize

buttons

MY DH and I will be in Belize the end of Sept. We would love to just see the city and country. Not in good shape for tubing and have done the Shark Ray Alley which we loved. We now just want to see Belize. Does anyone know of a good tour we could take that would just be sightseeing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the same boat (but a different ship :) )

There are 4 of us that will be in Belieze. The ladies are not interested in either Zip lines or cave tubing, and the men do not really want to leave the ladies alone in port.

We would also be interested in any tours.

We are in the same boat (but a different ship :) )

There are 4 of us that will be in Belieze. The ladies are not interested in either Zip lines or cave tubing, and the men do not really want to leave the ladies alone in port.

We would also be interested in any tours.

I am not sure which cruise line you will be on. You may want to try looking at the excursions available through your cruise line on the WEB. Through Princess there are a couple of historical tours of the city lasting < 4 hrs. From what I read, the town is not very safe to be walking alone (without a guide). When you tender off the ship, once on port, there is a fenced area that is considered tourist safe. Once you go past the security gate, you are on your own. If you do not want to take a cruise-sponsored excursion, consider doing a search for city tours within this thread.

We were in Belize in August and booked the Xunantunich (Mayan ruins) tour through Carnival. This was a wonderful tour and way to experience the country. It turned out not to be just an all-day tour to Xunantunich, but became a tour of Belzie City and of the country itself.

We had two guides. A woman told us about Belize and the coutntryside were were seeing as we traveled from Belize City to Xunantunich, near the border with Guatemala. We learned about the peoples that make up the coutnry, the culture, education, and the langauges spoken (English, Creole, Spanish, and Mayan). Who knew, for example, there was a significant Amish population in Belize? Their farms supply the country with its dairy products. (We saw several Amish in their buggys in the countryside.) The country is poor, but it is a democrary and seems to be trying to become self-sufficient. Who would have expected rustic Internet cafes in rural villages? (See one in my photos, below.)

A knowledgeable male guide took over at Xunantunich and took us through the ruins. Xunantunich was wonderful. The climb to the top of the 130 foot main pyramid is one of my peak travel experiences. There is nothing to support you on the way up save what the Mayans originally built and the view at the top is spectacular. A sit-down lunch of typical Belize foods was included.

We toured Belize City by tour bus on the way out and on the way back. There are well-to-do neighborhoods and there are very poor neighborhoods.

My photos of Belize on Webshots: http://travel.webshots.com/album/553749605ZxpTrD

:) Hey ahl, saw your link to your photos...great pics. My DH and I are going to Belize and 3 other ports of call on NCL and saw what you taken and Hubby said "wow lets do that", soo how much did it cost you to go on that tour......then what kind of camera did you use to take your photos? I'm a amatuer photographer myself and I have a canon digital slr 20d. I'm looking forward to getting some awesome photos. I really thought the pictures were great.

While looking at other threads and comments about things to do for others I found a few cruisers suggested shoretrips.com I looked last night and sort of found what I was looking for plus gave prices and a way to book your tour online. Very helpful and was able to read and look at what was offered. Good benefit. My DH and I are going on NCL's Norweigin Dream in Dec and found a tour in Belize to the Altun HA Mayan Ruins/Belize zoo combo Private tours for 1-2 persons for $207, 3-4 persons $345 and $76 per person after 4. It's a 5.5 hour tour and to us that looks great. Plus it gave prices and links to tubing, snorkling and so forth. Hope that helps you.

While looking at other threads and comments about things to do for others I found a few cruisers suggested shoretrips.com I looked last night and sort of found what I was looking for plus gave prices and a way to book your tour online. Very helpful and was able to read and look at what was offered. Good benefit. My DH and I are going on NCL's Norweigin Dream in Dec and found a tour in Belize to the Altun HA Mayan Ruins/Belize zoo combo Private tours for 1-2 persons for $207, 3-4 persons $345 and $76 per person after 4. It's a 5.5 hour tour and to us that looks great. Plus it gave prices and links to tubing, snorkling and so forth. Hope that helps you.
Lifes like a box of chocolates...never know what your going to get.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

:) Hey ahl, saw your link to your photos...great pics. My DH and I are going to Belize and 3 other ports of call on NCL and saw what you taken and Hubby said "wow lets do that", soo how much did it cost you to go on that tour......then what kind of camera did you use to take your photos? I'm a amatuer photographer myself and I have a canon digital slr 20d. I'm looking forward to getting some awesome photos. I really thought the pictures were great.

Hi, mis7up,

Glad you liked my pics! I enjoy taking photos and use a Canon PowerShot A85.

We booked our shore excursions through Carnival. The Xunantunich tour was about $90 per person. NCL should have the same or similar tour.

I see you've also looked into Altun Ha. My DW and I agreed that if we stop at Belize again, we'll take the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour.

:) That's a good camera, just before I became a full time stay at home mom last year work in a photo lab and dealt with camera's sold a desent amount of that one.........I'm already addicted to getting on the cruise and get going. Thanks for replying back. I think that tour is going to be the one for us. I wanted to do tubing for hubby, because hubby's an adventurer and he like the ruins, he's a history science buff as well, so I'm all for that myself. Any time and any reason to take photos, I'm there.

Archived