Wi-Fi on the Windsurf

I thought I saw the answer to this question sometime ago, but sorry can't find it now that we are getting ready for our cruise. We are sailing on the Windsurf next month out of Barcelona to Lisbon and wondering about Wi-Fi aboard the ship. My DH plans on bringing his laptop. Can anyone tell me what the charges are to access the internet? And any other information that might be helpful. Thank you for helping. Shirley

Same question about Wind Star.

Somebody mentioned that it would get wi-fi after the dry-dock earlier this year, but I can't find confirmation. My travel agent is clueless.

Will be on the B'Dos to Costa Rica cruise on Nov 25. I know that you go on a cruise to relax, but I still need to check on things back at the office. Two weeks is too long to let stuff pile up when you're a small business owner. Can't use Internet cafes or public terminals.

Thanks!

Shirley,

There is Wi-Fi on the Windsurf. It is in each cabin and also certain public areas. I took my laptop on my transatlantic, and the connection time was great....far better than in the internet cafe. I am trying to remember the rates. I will try to place my hands on the info. I cannot say if the smaller ships have it yet. Hope this helps a bit. Just a thought. You won't be able to take all that wine you were going to, and neither can I.:)

Shirley,

There is Wi-Fi on the Windsurf. It is in each cabin and also certain public areas. I took my laptop on my transatlantic, and the connection time was great....far better than in the internet cafe. I am trying to remember the rates. I will try to place my hands on the info. I cannot say if the smaller ships have it yet. Hope this helps a bit. Just a thought. You won't be able to take all that wine you were going to, and neither can I.:)

Thanks for the information regarding the Wi-Fi, would love to know what the rate will be. We have purchased a phone from Range Roamer to use in Europe, but the lap top is important for my DH.

You're right about the wine, what a same, but still plan on purchasing some of the great Spain Wines in Barcelona and carrying it on the ship. Shirley

Unless the rules have changed during the last few months, it is OK to bring wine aboard the Windstar ships. You can even take it to the dining room and have the wine steward serve it. There is a $10 corkage fee which is sometimes overlooked.

However, you are not supposed to bring hard stuff on board. They don't want you to get snookered in your cabin, but to do so on deck is OK.

Hi Lair Bear. We were talking about bringing wine from home to the ship, since we love special vintages. We can no longer do so as no liquids in hand luggage aboard the aircraft.:( I have a bottle too special to try to put in my checked bags. We are just going to have to get our wines in Europe.

You can actually bring other hard liquors and spirits to the ship, but it is taken off you and kept until the end of the cruise. :)

Shirley, as you get off when I get on, would you mind leaving a name of a good wine find in Barcelona. I would really appreciate it!! You can leave it with Ria or one of the girls at the front desk. I would soooooo appreciate it:) . I bet you can't wait. I can't!!!

Ruth

Shirley, as you get off when I get on, would you mind leaving a name of a good wine find in Barcelona. I would really appreciate it!! You can leave it with Ria or one of the girls at the front desk. I would soooooo appreciate it:) . I bet you can't wait. I can't!!!

Ruth

:) Ruth I will be happy to, if I get a chance to use the lap top during our trip maybe I can also post any names of wines that we think are outstanding.

I've made my list and checking it twice (actually many times), my guest bedroom looks like a lost luggage area. Just received an email from a dear friend and they are coming to the beach this weekend and guess what they would like to use the "guest room". Oh well what's a few suitcases among friends!

We're going to have a great trip, enjoy! Shirley

Shirley, I know what you mean. I have clothes and luggage out as well. We have sailed on Windsurf so many times, but I still get excited. This time we are doing a back to back to back (21 days total). When I can drag hubby away, I do! We are really trying to keep it down to 1 large bag each:D . I know. Good luck on that one. We use the laundry on board, and I will try to mix and match!

Thanks so much for helping out on the wines. We will have the day of the turnaround in Barcelona. Not much time. So thanks so much.

Ruth

It is so nice to read your chatter.

I was not aware you always try to carry bottles of wine as carry on luggage. Certainly you must have thought of checking your bottles!?. The rules about liquids only apply to carry-on and it seems to me that you could not carry enough wine to last you for a whole trip unless your hubbies are giants.

Besides, I think it is much more fun to try the local varieties. When in Rome . . .

Lair Bear, I will be crusing with another couple and we are celebrating. I wanted to carry a magnum of very very expensive champagne that I would in no way put in my luggage. Theft or breakage is not an option, so we will leave it home. I would not have DH carry enough wine for 21 days. Europe has some of the finest. I think that you did not have the whole picture:).

It is so nice to read your chatter.

I was not aware you always try to carry bottles of wine as carry on luggage. Certainly you must have thought of checking your bottles!?. The rules about liquids only apply to carry-on and it seems to me that you could not carry enough wine to last you for a whole trip unless your hubbies are giants.

Besides, I think it is much more fun to try the local varieties. When in Rome . . .

:) Lair Bear, maybe you missed our past communications regarding traveling with wine. While we plan on enjoying some of the local wines Paris Lady and I had discussed bringing a couple special bottles with us. In our case possibly some highly rated California wines from our cellar. Now with all the restrictions on carry on's it certainly discourages that practice. Not to worry I'm sure that we will find wonderful wines in Spain and then in Italy when we continue this grand adventure in Tuscany.

Thanks for the information regarding the Wi-Fi' date=' would love to know what the rate will be.

QUOTE']

Just got off the Star and the rate for using the internet from the ships computer was $22 for 30 minutes. Rate went down if you bought more

time.

Thanks for the information. Did you find many internet cafe's in the ports and if so what were their rates? Trust you had a wonderful cruise. One more week and we will begin our adventure. :)

After a good search, I found my receipt for my internet usage. We do not have to save our receipts for tax purposes, hence most get tossed after a bit of time. The rates are $55 for 100 minutes , and $100 for 250.

The one thing a lot of people complained about was the connection time in the internet center, but it is super quick if you have your laptop, or should I say your DH :) .

Oh, by the way. On the day you embark, go to reception, as they usually offer bonus minutes if you sign up before a certain time that day(10 pm ish), and they also usually have a raffle draw for free 100 minutes! Strange how things come back to memory on their own terms.

We get into Lisbon on the 14th so that we can have a bit of time before we board. We are at the Pestana Palace, and apparently you can see the 25th April Bridge from the grounds. I will wave to you as the Windsurf goes under. Look for the dot:) . By the way, No matter what time the ship goes under the bridge, be up for it!! You will never forget. It is awesome. You swear the ship will not make it. We were awake well before dawn for it. Well worth the wake up. I will be up to see her go under. It should be great to see it from land!

Ruth

Shirley, did you see the info above?

Ruth

:) Ruth great information about the Wi-Fi and then about the bridge! I've written notes on everything. Here is my email address that I use for CC, let me know your last name or cabin # so the wine information that I leave at reception will besure to get to you. www.wanderingwino@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Shirley, when you read this you are probably back from your cruise. I hope you had fun and found some good wines in Spain. I am curious about what you may have to offer.

Perhaps you would like to take a test about wines, etc. If so, see:

http://www.*****.com/winecountry.htm#test

I would like to know how many people get three or more correct answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Ruth

Ruth by now I'm sure that you are home with great memories of your latest cruise on the WindSurf. I hope that you received the note that I left for you regarding the wines and the wine shop in Barcelona. Your were right when I went to registration and gave them the note for you they said that they knew you and your husband very well. We loved our cruise and our trip to Italy was wonderful. I posted some pictures of the cruise and of our Marrage Renewal Ceremony on : http://community.webshots.com/user/wanderingwinos

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much Shirley. We arrived home just yesterday after a most perfect 3 weeks on the ship. We were away for just about a month. It was pure pleasure. I did receive your note about the wines, however I made a miscalculation. We were in Barcelona on Sunday, hence nothing much opened:( . However, when we were in Lisbon, we picked up some wonderful portuguese red wines and port as well. We managed to get 8 bottles back home, unbroken!!! :D

We spent fantastic time with the friends that we were meeting at the ship, and made new ones as well. I am in the midst of missing the ship. It's am absolutely awesome way to pass vacation days. Thanks again for the names. I will have to try to see if I can get them locally, even though I doubt it.

It seems as if you had a wonderful time as well. I am now planning the next one. How about you? Glad to have met you on the boards.

Ruth

LOVED your photo's. I can see that you had a wonderful time:) . It's great when you can travel well with friends. We loved it as well, and this was the first time we had travelled with friends. It was 6 of us. We are definitely doing it again.

Ruth

:) Ruth glad you are safely home after what sounds like a wonderful vacation. I too am missing my time on The WindSurf and so looking forward to our next cruise aboard her or one of the Windstar's. Because of scheduling it looks like we will have to wait until Jan 08 before we can get aboard again. I'm still trying to get information on the Formast Cruises in 2008, I guess they haven't developed the dates that far out as yet.

If you hear anything I'd love to know out it.

Sorry about you missing the Spainish Wines as they were far better then we expected, but I'm sure the Wines and Ports from Portugal were to die for, and lucky you to beable to carry some back without breakage.

Love hearing all your great suggestions regarding cruising aboard the WindStar Ships.

Shirley

Ruth;

My DH and I were on the Lisbon-Barcelona cruise with you. And it seems that we were also at the same hotel as you, Pestana Palace. DH were very low key this trip as we both traveled for work so much this summer, we really focused on just being together. We also didn't spend much time in the Compass Rose in the evenings.

Anyhow, there was a couple that we saw at our hotel and then the ship. We kept meaning to go up to them, but one thing or another stopped us (like we were rushing off somewhere or they were very engrossed in a conversation). By any chance did you have dinner at the Pestana on the Friday night before the cruise and were celebrating a birthday or anniversary? If so, I can confirm that you and your friends were some of the people with the biggest smiles on the ship.

Sheila

Archived