Western Caribbean shore excursions

We will be on FOS 7/07 and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for shore excursions as we've never been on this route. I am not interested in the Sting Rays (sorry for all that love them, I just don't want to touch them or have them touch me). We love ATV and Zipline excursions, also the falls in Jamaica seem like fun. Could any of you offer suggestions for some excursions based on your experiences? I would appreciate it very much. We will be going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, along with Labadee.

We will be doing the waverunners in Labadee. Everyone here is always so helpful and full of great ideas and insight that I have no doubt that there are some great experiences to help me decide...please share. Thanks!

In Ocho Rios I would definately suggest the Dunns River Falls. You can find a lot of private vendors on the ports of call boards that will package this with other thing such as river tubing and shopping. We went with Queen Mcbeam. We had a great time. I prefer private rather than ship organized tours, much less crowded.

In GC we did the sting rays the first time. We chilled out on Seven Mile beach last year.

The ports of call board can be very helpful to find other things to do.

Cozumel.......Paradise Beach has food, drinks, massages, shopping, chairs and umbrellas, jet ski, etc.

Last year I took a dolphin excursion. Had to book through the ship because I wasn't sure we were going to get there because of hurricaine damage. IMO this was an awesome experience. If it is something you're considering check out Dolphin Discovery online or Cozumel Insider for other ideas.

Have a great trip.

Jackie

In case it helps... we are doing Western Caribbean on Mariner in Oct. Have done the Western Caribbean a few times.

We just booked a few excursions:

- a "segway tour" at Cozumel (Segway along the coast to a beach, spend a few hours there, then a coach/taxi back to te ship).

- parasailing at Labadee

- we will go to a beach (probably the "Sea Grape Beach") at Grand Cayman.

- Undecided about Jamaica - maybe a beach or an all-inclusive resort for the day (Sandals maybe)

Previously have done a 4x4 ruins/beach trip at Cozumel before and would recommend that.

Boo

We think that an excursion to Sting Ray City is a MUST! We used Captain Bryan's Buccaneer for our excursion and throughly enjoyed the 3 stops. We liked the timing of the excursion, too. I rate swimming with the stingrays as one of the top things I have done in my life!

Here is a link to pictures from that excursion.

Have fun planning!

In case it helps... we are doing Western Caribbean on Mariner in Oct. Have done the Western Caribbean a few times.

We just booked a few excursions:

- a "segway tour" at Cozumel (Segway along the coast to a beach, spend a few hours there, then a coach/taxi back to te ship).

- parasailing at Labadee

- we will go to a beach (probably the "Sea Grape Beach") at Grand Cayman.

- Undecided about Jamaica - maybe a beach or an all-inclusive resort for the day (Sandals maybe)

Previously have done a 4x4 ruins/beach trip at Cozumel before and would recommend that.

Boo

Oh, just remembered another tour which we did, in Cozumel, and really enjoyed. Was a trip in little two person speedboats to a really lovely little island, then a few hours on the beach before driving your speedboat (in convey) back.

It was a lovely beach and my husband had fun driving the speedboat (I enjoyed being a passenger :) ).

Boo

Thank you all for you suggestions :). It's so great that there are so many nice people here at CC that will share their experiences and offer suggestions.

Does anyone know of any ATV adventures or Zip Line excursions on the Western route? We did the Zip Line excursion through the ship in St. Maarten this year and had a such a great time that we were hoping to find something lilke it to do again. Thanks again everyone!

Tell me about the speedboat thing please (Cozmuel)?

If you go to Royal Caribbean's website, go to shore excursions, search by Cozumel, it's called "Hideaway Beach Boat Adventure".

"Get away from it all behind the wheel of your very own 2-person speedboat and head towards Cozumel's North side to a hidden lagoon and beach. Your adventure begins as you are greeted on the pier by your English-speaking guide. After a short taxi ride, you arrive at a local beach where the boats await you. After a safety orientation on the boats and the issue of lifejackets, then it's time to take the wheel. You'll cruise along the northern coastline in a sapphire and emerald sea until you come upon a hidden lagoon encircled by tropical mangroves. Dock your boat on the beach and experience its pure white sand and crystal clear waters. Enjoy a Mexican grilled buffet and bask in the sun, swim in the ocean or explore this isolated getaway. After soaking in all the beauties of Hideaway Beach, it's time to get back in your boat for the return trip to the local beach where there will be time to use the facilities to change and freshen up before returning to the ship.

Note: For your safety, guests will be required to wear their lifejacket at all times while boating. Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Guests must be 18 years of age or older to drive boats. Minimum age to participate is 12 years old."

We did it and enjoyed it - it was very pleasant and a little different. One of the things I also enjoyed was that there weren't LOADS of people on the tour or on the beach (sometimes tours can be way too crowded). It was relaxing and the beach and water were lovely (although it probably isn't too great for snorkeling...).

If you want to do something with ruins/history in, then a 4x4/jeep thing is better.

Boo

We did Dunn's River Falls with Dolphin swim in Ochos Rios.That was really nice. I wouldn't do the parasailing on Labadee. You have to ride tandem and you have to go out on a boat with 3 or 4 other couples. It takes a long time and people were getting seasick. I thought it would have been easier to do it on one of the islands.

In Cozumel we did the Hideaway Beach excursion off the ship also and it was enjoyable. The boat ride was scary and fun and the beach was awesome. Best pictures I got were on that beach! My husband holding up a starfish and the privacy wa wonderful! Our friends did the off road atv and loved it! They loved the Pee Pee station! Actual name of the place!

In Caymans we did the Cockatoo Catamaran ride to stingray city and stingrays are not my favorite sea animal in the world but the catamaran ride there and back was awesome!

In Labadee you can do the jet ski excursion. They only have ship excursions here since it is their pennisula.

Jamaica the waterfalls is very commercialized but fun and my husband and son combined it with a raft tour and they really loved that! I did Margaretaville and shopping afterwards. Got to see Jimmy Buffet when we were there he was filming something from there.

I love the W Carib and can't wait to see how different the E Carib is from this! Have a Great Cruise! :D

Hi NoVa Mimi!

Chukkacaribbean.com has a zip line excursion for Jamaica. I can also highly recommend A-Z Jamaica for a great time while there.

In Cozumel, Eagle Ray Divers are awesome! We have used them twice, small groups, lots of personal attention. If you have not considered SCUBA, think of it here. Their Discover SCUBA is well done. MY DH still can not believe my intro to SCUBA was on the Palancar Reef.

We did try Stingray City in GC. I pretty much felt as you do, had no real desire to have them all around me...but I felt it was not to missed, and I was so happy I booked that trip. It really made a wonderful memory. We used Nativeway Watersports, it included some great snorkeling spots.

Have fun deciding! :D

I wouldn't do the parasailing on Labadee. You have to ride tandem and you have to go out on a boat with 3 or 4 other couples. It takes a long time and people were getting seasick. I thought it would have been easier to do it on one of the islands.

ALready booked and happy to do it there as a "first time" (although thanks for the heads up).

Wanted to do it tandem with husband anyway - presumably will be able to do it with him (i.e. it isn't tandem with an instructor or anything silly...?)?

Boo

We will be on the 9/10/06 Freedom sailing. Our stop is in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and we are doing the Canopy tour. You have to book this through RCCL, as the ships buy out the tours for the days they are in port. This is a zip line. You will have a great time! I would assume you can do the Canopy tour from either Montego Bay or Ochos Rios.

ALready booked and happy to do it there as a "first time" (although thanks for the heads up).

Wanted to do it tandem with husband anyway - presumably will be able to do it with him (i.e. it isn't tandem with an instructor or anything silly...?)?

Boo

You can go up with your husband. You will just be on the boat with other people and you have to wait for everyone to take their turn. My friend gets seasick and had a hard time with the boat ride. I'm sure you'll love it.

We will be on FOS 7/07 and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for shore excursions as we've never been on this route. I am not interested in the Sting Rays (sorry for all that love them, I just don't want to touch them or have them touch me). We love ATV and Zipline excursions, also the falls in Jamaica seem like fun. Could any of you offer suggestions for some excursions based on your experiences? I would appreciate it very much. We will be going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, along with Labadee.

We will be doing the waverunners in Labadee. Everyone here is always so helpful and full of great ideas and insight that I have no doubt that there are some great experiences to help me decide...please share. Thanks!

My family and I did the "Hideaway Beach Break" excursion in Cozumel and had a blast. It's a two person speedboat and they take you on a 45 minute ride out in the open sea. The 90 minute beach stay was nice but the ride to the beach and back was an experience we will always remember. If you like waverunners you will like this as well.

You can go up with your husband. You will just be on the boat with other people and you have to wait for everyone to take their turn. My friend gets seasick and had a hard time with the boat ride. I'm sure you'll love it.

That is good (about going up with my husband) - it is something we wanted to share.

Thanks for the warning about going on the boat with other couples - that is not ideal.... oh well, we will be mentally prepared (thanks to you) :)

Best Wishes,

Boo

Thank you all very much for all of the great suggestions! :) I am going to have a good time looking up your various suggestions and making a choice.

Definitely - a big part of the fun of a holiday can be planning... :)

Must admit that cruise companies seem to be conitnually getting more adventurous and improving the variety of the shore excursions that they offer :)

Boo

:)

We think that an excursion to Sting Ray City is a MUST! We used Captain Bryan's Buccaneer for our excursion and throughly enjoyed the 3 stops. We liked the timing of the excursion, too. I rate swimming with the stingrays as one of the top things I have done in my life!

Here is a link to pictures from that excursion.

Have fun planning!

Great photo's! This the exact excursion I want to do in June so I really enjoyed the beautiful pictures. Thank you!:)

If you feel up to reading my review, I talk quite a bit about the shore excursions we did in these 3 ports:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=396207

Archived