Nickel allergies and vintage jewelry

ridge4

While shopping for jewelry for formal nights on my upcoming cruise, I again find myself really pining for some beautiful vintage or vintage-look pieces. I really love the look.

Unfortunately, being allergic to nickel, I rarely find any pieces I can actually wear. Many advertised don't even mention what kind of metal the piece is, and I have learned that is definitely a bad sign.

On the positive side, I have found several sources for earrings. Since it is relatively easy to put sterling silver french wires on vintage look pieces, I have had some success in this area. When it comes to necklaces or bracelets, however, I continue to be frustrated. I sometimes even go as far as purchasing something like a bracelet that I know I will react to, and putting it on at the last possible moment. I then take it off as soon as feasible after dinner and suffer the consequences. Silly of me, I know, what can I say?

Any fellow sufferers out there with any tips or sources?

Cindi

I honestly don't know if this works or not but I have a girlfriend who swears it does. She uses that Horse's Hoof Topcoat (lots of manicurists use it on acrylic nails) to coat any metal that will touch her skin and seems to be ok wearing it. She re-applies after 2 or 3 wearings and says she never gets a rash or the green.

As I said .. .I cannot swear by this .. but you might want to try anyway.

I have an allergy to something, can't figure out what - I have an appt. with a Derm. who specializes in dermatitis. But in the meantime I keep trying to figure it out on my own. For awhile, I thought that I had a Nickel allergy because I get a contact dermatitis around my eyes and in my ears - so I thought it was my glasses (they have Nickel in them). Anyway, to get to your question, when I thought that it was a Nickel allergy, I was looking in a catalog at costume jewelry and they had a bottle of something that you can put on the jewelry, that has Nickel, in it. I'm sorry I don't know what catalog it was, but they do make something, so maybe you can look around for it. Try stores that sale costume jewelry. Also, if your just going to wear it for a short time, you could use clear fingernail polish. My husband has a reaction to Nickel - it's not a rash or dermatitis, like I get, but his skin turns green from his glasses and he puts clear nail polish on the wire rims every other week and his skin doesn't turn green anymore. Good luck! If you find something, let me know, it still may be Nickel that I'm allergic to - I don't see that Dr. until the end of September.

Kathy, thanks for the tip on the top coat. I'm going to give that a try. I will try most anything!

Traci, unfortunately, I have tried the clear nail polish trick. It doesn't work for me. This is possibly tied to the degree of sensitivity in the individual, I'm not sure. The top coat Kathy suggested may be the same result, but perhaps this product "coats" more effectively. I hope so.

Sorry to hear about your dermatitis. If it does turn out to be a nickel allergy, titanium will quickly become your friend. Eyeglass frames are now readily available in titanium, and are a must for me. For years I could not find an affordable and presentable watch. Eventually titanium watches became more prevalent and more affordable. It is not a problem for me any longer.

Cindi

You could also try spray acrylic if you aren't allergic to it. Spray several coats very lightly and allow to dry thoroughly. I use this on antique brass items once I've cleaned them up to prevent tarnishing

Found this on-line:

Almost any kind of jewelry has some sort of nickel in it .... 14kt gold on up, silver, and even platinum ... as well as costume fashion jewelry .... this can be the cause often times for this kind of "chemical reaction" - which is actually an Allergic Reaction ... also if a piece of jewelry is coated with a protective finishing coating of some sort found mostly in Costume Jewelry .... this can be the "other" culprit. Research thru the medical field of dermatology has found that only 6 out of 100 people have this kind of sensitivity.... 6% ... so it really is very very low a percentile ... for those of you that have it .... I know how frustrating it can be.

Often times coating the jewelry with clear nail polish and thoroughly drying overnight - can help to alleviate this frustrating circumstance that can arise.... and allow the user to enjoy that special piece of jewelry.

http://www.2die4jewels.net/GS.html

I have an allergy to something, can't figure out what - I have an appt. with a Derm. who specializes in dermatitis. But in the meantime I keep trying to figure it out on my own. For awhile, I thought that I had a Nickel allergy because I get a contact dermatitis around my eyes and in my ears - so I thought it was my glasses (they have Nickel in them). Anyway, to get to your question, when I thought that it was a Nickel allergy, I was looking in a catalog at costume jewelry and they had a bottle of something that you can put on the jewelry, that has Nickel, in it. I'm sorry I don't know what catalog it was, but they do make something, so maybe you can look around for it. Try stores that sale costume jewelry. Also, if your just going to wear it for a short time, you could use clear fingernail polish. My husband has a reaction to Nickel - it's not a rash or dermatitis, like I get, but his skin turns green from his glasses and he puts clear nail polish on the wire rims every other week and his skin doesn't turn green anymore. Good luck! If you find something, let me know, it still may be Nickel that I'm allergic to - I don't see that Dr. until the end of September.

Had a simialar problem with a case of dermatitis on my face. Had it for the longest time and couldn't figure it out. I have a nickle allergy, but didn't think it could be my glasses, since my glasses really weren't touching my face where the dermititis was. Well, I needed new glasses anyway, so I purchased titanium frames and the dermatis disappeared on my face and has never come back. Could still be the frames on your glasses.

Archived