Holiday: Calica or Costa Maya ??

starketcher

We will be travelling with my son and his g/f next May. We've been to Cos many times, I've been to Costa Maya once. Never to Calica which I understand is near XCarat (and what else?). During the 2 weeks we have to paln, the cruise goes to either CM or Calica. We are leaning a bit toward Calica, just because of the timing and my sons' price concerns. ANy advice???

Well, yeah, I know to check the port of call boards.:cool: ...but the Calica and the CM boards are kinda dead. PLUS, I wanted ppl who've been to both to compare the port and activities to give me a better idea which would be the best port.

Calica is a quarry pier, but the "real" port is playa del carmen....We got a taxi into town and went to the Aviary at the Playacar subdivision, from there we walked into town, went to the beach, walked to their Wal-Mart(for emergency sunscreen & flip flops) , then back to town again and ate waterside at Senor Frogs which was awesome. Caught a taxi back to calica and got back on the ship. It (playa del carmen) is a busy little town, be careful if you are getting around town on your feet - it seems pedestrians do not have the right of way - I felt like I was the frog in that old arcade game frogger for most of the day!

P.S. At the oceanfront in Paya del carmen is the ferry pier that takes you to Cozumel, you could go back there if you time in port allowed I think it is 7$ pp one way, and it takes about an hour to get there one way. Good Luck:)

We rented a jeep at Calica--then we went to the ruins--afterwards went to a great secluded beach with a great bar/food. Beautiful sand, clean and clear. Beware though--tops are optional there. The ladies were very decreit.

Went downtown and shopped--don't buy at the first place, go next door and the first place people will follow you and keep giving you a better deal so you don't buy at the second place.:eek: :D :)

Archived