What's the BEST itin. for SERIOUS snorkeling?

dcsam

Trying to decide between 2 different itineraries. I want to find some excellent snorkeling. I have been to the reef in Belize, Bahamas and French Polynesia and thought they were excellent sites (non-cruise). I've also been to Cozumel (Chakanaub?), St. Thomas and Tortola (cruising), and I thought the snorkeling was really poor. Maybe I didn't go to the right spots. so when some ships offer a snorkeling excursion, I have often been very disappointed.

What itinerary would you recommend for snorkeling amongst large corals, a variety of fish, clear water:

Grand Turk, Tortola, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay

OR

Majahual, Roatan Honduras, Belize, Cozumel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carrie

The reefs in Roatan and Cozumel are amazing and would be my first choice for snorkeling out of the Western and Eastern Caribbean. Have you looked at a Hawaii option? Great snorkeling. There are wonderful areas on all the islands that you can just pull over on the side of the road and walk to the water and have wonderful snorkeling. A good guide book can point you to the best stops. Happy snorkeling! Wendy

Western of those two. Generally speaking, the ship's excursions are not going to put on the best snorkling. Do some online research and book something yourself from people that know and have good reviews.

Some other places I have good snorkeling;

Curacao

St. John

St. Kitts

St. Vincent & The Grenadines (Tobago Cays- Awesome)

Happy snorkeling.

Carrie, We had to make the same choice. We love the Zuiderdam but my DH loves to snorkel and even get a dive in while on vacation. So, we picked the Grand for this March because of the itinerary. I hope we won't be sorry.

Trying to decide between 2 different itineraries. I want to find some excellent snorkeling. I have been to the reef in Belize, Bahamas and French Polynesia and thought they were excellent sites (non-cruise). I've also been to Cozumel (Chakanaub?), St. Thomas and Tortola (cruising), and I thought the snorkeling was really poor. Maybe I didn't go to the right spots. so when some ships offer a snorkeling excursion, I have often been very disappointed.

What itinerary would you recommend for snorkeling amongst large corals, a variety of fish, clear water:

Grand Turk, Tortola, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay

OR

Majahual, Roatan Honduras, Belize, Cozumel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carrie

The GP itinerary is best for snorkeling. Roatan has excellent snorkeling, even from the beach.

As you're aware, Belize is excellent, but for boat trips only.

Cozumel, despite Hurricane Wilma, is still first rate. You just went to the wrong place. Chankanaab had mediocre snorkeling even before the hurricane. Dzul Ha Beach was good to excellent, depending on currents. Wilma destroyed all the near shore reefs, including Dzul Ha. However, we snorkeled Palancar Reef just last March. It is absolutely among the best. A Huge variety of fish and rays as well as corals. Some trips cover both Palancar and Columbia Reefs. The latter is deeper, @ forty feet to Palancar's twenty, but they are both easy drift snorkels. When you book, just be sure the trip either features or includes Palancar. Book an independent, if time permits. We took the cruise ship snorkel because of the departure time. It was very good. The boat was full, but not overcrowded. The guides were excellent. BTW - did you know that tortilla bits make excellent chum?:)

Majahual is ok. The reef is near shore, but it's nothing special.

Tortola is first rate, except at Virgin Gorda. Too many tourists overcrowding the beaches have destroyed the coral. Patouche at Tortola, however, offers an excellent variety of snorkel trips and is a first class operator. There is excellent snorkeling out of Tortola. You just need to go to the right places. Patouche can take you there.

http://www.patouche.com/

Whoa! We DID the Patouche catamaran trip before, and I have to say... I thought the snorkeling was really rotten. We loved the trip and the service was lovely, but I'd jump in the water; take a look and wonder, "Are we there yet?" To the beginning snorkeler, it would be fine. But I'm really into reefs and the large corals.

BM64: We're debating between the March 31 Zuiderdam and the March 31 Grand. I'd like the smaller Zuiderdam and the relaxed pace of the trip. I'm concerned about the Grand - it is spring break and Princess allows 18 year olds to travel independently. BUT my mom really enjoyed her trip aboard the Diamond; she loves Princess onboard activities. My brother wants to snorkel. The Zuiderdam would be about $400-$600 less for the trip. Can't decide.

Carrie

My own conclusion is that, if snorkeling is your #1 priority, you'll do better to stay right by great snorkeling rather than take a cruise. Hawaii (Maui probably tops) and Belize have been two favorites of mine -- a full week of morning-noon-evening snorkel opportunities!

I love cruises too, but think they can't/don't center on snorkeling.

A land vacation certainly is an option, but a cruise is much more doable with my 80 year old mother. It does allow for some independence, and I know she is safe and having fun if we venture off.

Since a couple people have suggested Hawaii, I just checked into that Norwegian does have a ship that works for our dates (3/31). So, I guess it would now be between the Western C. or Hawaii.

Thank you

Carrie

Definately Belize and Roatan.

Belize has the Blue Hole, where there's an abundance of sea life and is very popular with Scuba Divers. Roatan has excellent snorkeling - if HAL still offers the Catamaran Sail and Snorkle excursion - take it as its lots of fun!

Carrie,

We are on the 3/31 sailing of the Grand come on over to the roll call board we have a small one going. Your concerns are ours excatly, having been on the Zuiderdam we love the size of the ship, the crew is fabulous, the food is better then Princess (we were also on the Diamond) but we really wanted a different itinerary. We are traveling with my mom as well who is in her 70's. I'm sorry you didn't like the snorkeling in Tortola, we did HAL's catamaran sail and snorkel and thought it was outstanding. It was really nice to be able to snorkel right from the small beach that they took you to. Please let us know what you decide.

Hello again BM64!

Well... Looks like we're now leaning towards a July 10 Northern islands, Fiji cruise with Captain Cook cruises. I had it narrowed down to the Grand and this, but my brother's first choice is Fiji, and I think my mother and I were hoping it would work out too. At first, I thought the air rates were too outrageous to consider, but I just spoke with the TA, and she can get MUCH better rates than the ones I found on Expedia and Travelocity. But the way things are going... Who knows - we may see you on the Grand. I've been flipping back and forth between so many cruises trying to figure out which would be best. Tomorrow, I may think otherwise. :-)

Carrie

Carrie- No matter what you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time. If you decide on the Grand please join our roll call. I must say after reading all the excellent snorkel tips on this post, I think we made a good choice.

Brigitte

Archived