Road to Hana Question

ehough

We will be in Maui for two days. I'd like to do the Road to Hana on one of those days, and we'd plan to do it on the first day (since the ship doesn't leave until the next day, we wouldn't feel rushed to get back for anything). The problem being that, based on what I'm reading, it will take at least 8 hours to do this. I definitely want to see O'Heo Gulch and various other stops along the way.

That being said, DH isn't thrilled at the idea of being in a car for 8 hours. So I guess my question is, when you do the Road to Hana, making several stops, and you don't have to get back to the ship at a certain time- is it basically an 8+ hour car ride, or is it more like a leisurely sightseeing tour? I know it's kind of a convoluted question given different personalities and depending on how many stops are made, but in general, those of you who have done the Road to Hana, did it feel like a long drive or was it more like a day of sightseeing?

I hope this makes sense- basically I'm afraid of feeling like I spent the whole day in a car, as opposed to feeling like we spent a leisurely day stopping at some beautiful sites as we came upon them.

Long ride or day-long sightseeing excursion?

Both, actually. 8 hours is about right, minimum. To me (YRMV) O'heo Gulch is the nicest part of the whole trip, and it's about 10 miles past Hana (about 40 minutes - not the world's best road.)

To me, the whole shift from sightseeing to long ride begins once you're on your way back. This is another reason why I prefer to go the southern route once I'm at O'heo Gulch. Not only is it faster back to Kahului by 20-30 minutes, it's different and unique. The long, wide expanses of beautiful desolation and rugged coast are so different from the lushness of the first half of the drive that it tends to keep you alert. At least, it keeps ME alert. (There's always the Kaupo store for snacks and a break). You then climb up to the Tedeschi winery area and enjoy the gorgeous views of upcountry.

So IMO a way to prevent you from getting into "excrutiating, slightly boring long day of driving" is to see new stuff the entire time.

When we did it a couple of years ago we spent at least 8 hours doing the trip, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, feeling it was more like a sightseeing day rather than a long road trip. We bought a cd of the drive at a little sub shop along with lunch before we left for the day. We never even made it all the way to Hana, but we stopped at almost every place on the disc and did some nice hikes, took in some gorgeous waterfalls and got some unbelievable photos! I do agree with sceptic that the only part that felt like a road trip was the ride back home... but it was no big deal really.

There is nothing boring about that road. It is beautiful and very scenic the whole time. We did it last fall though this time we didn't get all the way to Hana either as we made many stops along the way, took a couple of side roads and just thoroughly enjoyed what we saw rather than trying to do it all. We have never done the whole road. We have always turned around and gone back the same way. Maybe some day...........!

It has been several years ago, but we did the complete road to Hana trip and it was really enjoyable. The "back" half of the drive is very interesting and there is one area that resembles a moonscape from the lava flows of years ago. I didn't think it felt like a road trip - just a leisurely sightseeing drive. It is a long day by the time you are done, but definitely worth it!

Archived