Western Mediterranean Cruise 8/13 Have a couple of questions?

Hello all,

My husband and I have just paid for our cruise in August in the Western Mediterranean. We will be sailing on the Galaxy ship with Celebrity Cruise line. It will be our first cruise and I have a couple of questions for the poeple who have already done this cruise.

1) Are there any unexpected/hidden charges on the cruise ship that I should know of, other than alcohol? i.e food, activities on board, etc.

2)Are all meals and snacks included in price?

3) How is the Panorama level rooms on the Galaxy ship?

3) Is it ok to plan with other agencies for shore excursions?

4) Any other impotant information I should know before going on our cruise?

My concern is, that we are first timers and have no clue what to expect. I have tried to do as much research as possible, BUT only get bits and pieces. Please let me know what your expirience was like in the Mediterranean, and if there is anything I should do more before going on my cruise. Thank you

1) Are there any unexpected/hidden charges on the cruise ship that I should know of, other than alcohol? i.e food, activities on board, etc.

Tipping at the end of the cruise – typically ~$10pp/day which would cover the cabin attendant, waiter and assistant waiter; other tips as services are performed (i.e., a couple bucks for room service delivery). A gratuity is automatically added into the cost of beverages so you don’t have to worry about tipping bar staff (unless they’ve gone above and beyond and you want to give them a special thank you), spa treatment (plus tip for same), internet access, shipboard photographs, purchases from the shops onboard, buying art from the art auctions, shore excursions, gambling, sometimes wine tasting, postage stamps

2) Are all meals and snacks included in price?

unless you eat in a specialty restaurant or order specialty foods for your cabin from the gift book, all food is included. Drinks will cost you (even coke)

3) How is the Panorama level rooms on the Galaxy ship?

You may want to ask this question on the Celebrity board. As a general rule, it always helps to be midship, regardless of deck level. The higher you get on a ship the more “rock” you’ll feel but that doesn’t mean it’ll be a problem unless you’re overly sensitive.

4) Is it ok to plan with other agencies for shore excursions?

Yes but there is some risk involved. If a Celebrity-based shore excursion returns late to the pier (i.e., traffic), the ship will wait for the excursion. However, if all ship’s tours have returned and your private excursion has not, you’re responsible for getting yourself to the next port of call! Also, you’d want to make sure that the private tour company comes with multiple recommendations (unlikely but I guess one recommendation “could” be a friend of the company posting it’s great when it really isn’t)

5) if there is anything I should do more before going on my cruise. Thank you

Things to do before you depart –

Ø Stop deliveries (newspaper)

Ø Have Post Office hold mail

Ø Arrange for care of pets, lawn and house plants

Ø Set-up a timed lighting system

Ø Check timed night lighting system

Ø Notify local police of your absence

Ø Leave house key and trip itinerary with a friend

Ø Call credit card companies and give them your itinerary so they don’t block your card for fraudulent-like activity

Ø Empty refrigerator

Ø Eliminate possible fire hazards (unplug appliances, computer, etc.)

Ø Turn down thermostat

Ø Turn off water heater

Ø Store valuables in a safe place

Ø Lock all doors and windows (and pull shades)

Ø Run dishwasher one last time

Ø Take out Trash

Ø Strip Sheets off Bed

Ø Charge cell phone

Ø Charge Camera batteries or buy new batteries

Ø Make last minute calls

Ø Call Credit Card companies with vacation dates and destinations

Ø Get money (travelers checks, cash, $2 bills)

Ø Pay bills due before returning home

Ø Update credit card info including International cash advance travel limits and conversion charges

Ø Print Packing Lists

Ø Check U.S. Travel Consular Sheets for travel warnings and restrictions of foreign countries

Ø Create list of embassy locations/phone #s in each foreign country to be visited

Ø Get international phone access numbers (dial back to USA)

Ø Update list of Rx generic names

Ø E-Mail itinerary to immediate family

Ø Place copy of itinerary in each piece of checked luggage – right on top

Ø Affix luggage tags on luggage; insert Business Cards into luggage tag holders

Ø Take pix of luggage (and pack them in hand luggage)

Ø Take pet to kennel

thought you might be interested in what's in my carryon Bag (hold valuables I want to keep close)

Ø Airline Tickets

Ø Photo Id / Drivers License

Ø Traveler’s Checks

Ø Money

Ø Personal Checks

Ø Snacks

Ø Cell Phone / Charger

Ø Water

Ø Binoculars

Ø Camera/Battery/Charger/Flash

Ø Eye Glasses

Ø Chg of clothes - 1 Bra; 1 Undies; 1 Socks (Me)

Ø Chg of clothes - 1 T; 1 Undies; 1 Socks (Dh)

Ø 1 Sweater or Fleece Pullover for each of us

Ø Hearing Aid Batteries

Ø Cruise Documents

Ø Insurance Documents

Ø Rx Medicines (and aspirin)

Ø Contacts/Saline

Ø Hairbrush

Ø Deodorant

Ø Toothpaste/Brush

Ø Eye Mask/Ear Plugs

Ø Magazine / Reading Materials

Ø Neck Pillow

Ø Sunglasses (Polarized)

be sure to check the rules of your airline before leaving so you don't get charged for extra weight (i.e., Virgin Atlantic only allows a 13# carryon pp)

DH will rent a tux and shoes so it'll be less to pack/carry (less weight). Besides the standard clothing, here’s some things I’ll pack for our upcoming trip to the Mediterranean which you might not think of considering (I create a packing list and then revise it after each trip based on what I used/didn’t use on that last trip) -

Ø Return Address labels to make debarkation easier (filling out tags)

Ø Alarm clock with lighted dial

Ø Back pack (for shore excursions)

Ø Colored bandanas to tie on luggage the last night for easy id in port

Ø Binoculars

Ø Book - a new best-seller

Ø “Business” cards – I create these to give to acquaintances I meet on board that I want to stay in touch with (name, address, phone, cabin #)

Ø Cell phone & charger (GSM networked phone for overseas)

Ø Checks (two personal)

Ø Coffee mug (thermal) (for bringing coffee back to your room from breakfast

Ø Collapsible cooler (for taking ashore and/or icing down a six pack in your room)

Ø Copies of our online embarkation form (for embarkation in case they ask you to complete it a 2nd time)

Ø Copies of our Passport and Drivers License

Ø Credit card phone numbers (cards I’m taking with me - # to call FROM overseas may not be the toll-free number)

Ø US Embassy address for each foreign port of call (in case you miss your ship at any port or have an emergency requiring you to return home in a hurry)

Ø Decoration for door to distinguish it from others (some identifying marker helps)

Ø Duct tape (for ripped luggage, hems, shutting curtains, etc.)

Ø Electrical Converter/Adapter (to use your personal appliances abroad) (I’m not spending the money on these; I’ll rely on the hotels pre/post to have hair dryers and DH will charge his shaver on the ship where they have 110 voltage)

Ø Extension cord so you can plug in more than one appliance at a time; besides the outlets are sometimes difficult to get at

Ø Outlet plug (to bring plug away from wall a tad)

Ø First-Aid Kit (A compact travel health kit)

Generic drug names for each of your Rx's and list of English speaking Drs. (if you have a chronic condition such as heart disease patient)

Ø Highlighter (for flagging special items of interest in your daily newspaper)

Ø ID holder / lanyard (for carrying your sea pass card)

Ø Imodium (traveler’s diarrhea)

Ø Jacket (it gets windy and cool on board sometimes)

Ø Plastic laundry hooks (for drying swim suits)

Ø Lip balm w/SPF

Ø Money (lots of dollar bills for tipping room service and buying stuff in ports)

Ø Neck pillow for the plane (collapsible are handy)

Ø Phrase book (or Kwik Point card) for foreign countries

Ø Picture of luggage (for describing to airline or ship if lost in transit)

Ø Plastic bottle (Qt.) & can of Ocean Spray cranberry juice concentrate (not frozen) (for making Vodka & Cranberry juice in your cabin)

Ø Flat sink plug (use to wash garments or ice down beer in sink, etc.)

Ø Sun block

Ø Sunglasses

Ø Tote bag (fold-up Totes handy for shopping in ports)

Ø Security wallet (i.e., money belt, bra belt, leg safe)

Ø Water Bottle for flight!

Ø White noise machine to block out hallway noise (if you’re a light sleeper)

Ø Woolite in small squeeze bottle to wash out bathing suits

Ø Ziploc bags (for grabbing food from the Lido to pack for lunches/snacks on shore)

Ø Purse and security wallet should each contain your name and who to contact in case of a medical emergency

Ø Tuck a business card in the pocket of your overcoat and jacket in case you leave it anywhere

call your airline to ensure you know the rules about luggage weight and quantity

Archived