Venice hotel to ship?

Please help! - We are leaving this Friday to Venice and are staying at a hotel in Saint Marks Square for one night - Sat.. I think I can get us there, but how do I get from the hotel to the ship (Splendour of the Seas) ? Also, is there a transfer available from the SHIP to the airport at the end of our cruise?:)

when you are in your hotel just walk to the water by st marks square and inquire about water taxi rates--they will take you to the ship.

You could also call celebrity or travel agent-the cruise ship usually has transport from the ship to st marks square..I am unsure if they will transport you--but i don't see why not.

There is also public water tranport--you catch the "bus" near st marks square--you must buy ticket before boarding(it is kind of an honor system about them chking tickets--but large fine if you are caught) We did the bus down the grand canal--well worth doing.There is also public transport to murano and other places

try google to search for more info--or chk these

http://www.a2zlanguages.com/Italy/Venice/ve_transportation.htm

http://venice.airports-shuttle.com/ according to this site it is 80 euros--pretty pricey

Yes, RCCL offers transportation from the ship (Splendour of the Seas) to the Venice airport for I believe 35.00. All you need to do is call your travel agent or RCCL if booked directly with them. They can add the transfer for you. I'm taking their transfer in October.

Here are the "cheap" alternatives...

From San Marco, you can pick up the Vaporetto #1 or #82 from either the San Zaccero or Valaresso Station (depending which side of San Marco your hotel is on...This will take you down the Grand Canal to Piazzale Roma (about a 35 minute trip with stops)...

From Piazzale Roma, you can get a taxi to the ship for around 15-20 euro per taxi (not per person...and it's negotiable).

The Vaporetto ride costs 5 euro per person, but, if you're spending some time pre-cruise in Venice, I recommend you buy a 24 or 72 hour vaporetti pass (12 and 25 euro respectively) for unlimited travel on the Vaporetti--including to Murano, Burano, Lido, etc...

The Vaporetti pass is also good for the #5 bus which goes between the Airport and Piazzale Roma (So, you can get from the airport to your hotel cheap as well--#5 bus to Piazzale Roma, then #1/82 Vaporetto to San Marco)

I would also find out if your ship has a free shuttle of any sort. When we cruised from Venice in 2003, the Millennium had a FREE shuttle boat back and forth to San Marco on embarkation day...When we cruised last month on Oceania Nautica, they provided FREE shuttle buses from the ship to Piazzale Roma (Princess, however, was apparently charging their passengers $20 for a shuttle boat from the pier to San Marco...Our bus driver, going back to the ship during our day in port prior to disembarkation, was checking ship IDs and had to turn away several Princess passengers looking for a free ride)...

Cancunyogi,

Some solid advice from other posters...but if you are like me and my group and have too much luggage to consider dragging around even a little part of Venice (bridges & stairs everywhere!), I'm sure that your hotel can arrange for a water taxi to pick you up right at your hotel (if on a canal).

We were at the Westin Europe on Grand Canal and the water taxi picked us up right at the hotel's entrance, delivered us to Piazalle Roma, where the hotel had arranged for taxi vans to take us on the short (less than 5 min) ride to the baggage drop off point for Celebrity. Very smooth and easy trip and no schlepping of bags all around. Not cheap however and ask your hotel to provide a firm quote for the price to be paid to the water taxi and to the land taxi driver, as they tried to inflate their prices to us.

Have a great cruise...Venice is such a wonderful place!

Lynne

What I am doing when I arrive in Venice from the airport is taking the bus to the Piazza Roma and the hotel I booked is a 5 minute walk from there. To get to the ship I would have the choice of walking back to the Roma station and get a taxi in 5 minutes or 15 minutes if you want to walk to the ship. I will be trying to pack light but it's not a big hassle for me. The hotel is right on the grand canal.

Venice maps show a waterbus/vaporetto stop next to Marritime Stazione called St Basilio. We are staying fairly close to the Accademia stop and were considering just taking the vaporetto from there then walk into the terminal. Of course maps don't show if this is high traffic or difficult to navigate. Has anyone ever tried the vaperetto transport to the cruise terminal?

Venice maps show a waterbus/vaporetto stop next to Marritime Stazione called St Basilio. We are staying fairly close to the Accademia stop and were considering just taking the vaporetto from there then walk into the terminal. Of course maps don't show if this is high traffic or difficult to navigate. Has anyone ever tried the vaperetto transport to the cruise terminal?
Some maps do show Stazione Marittima as being adjacent to the San Basilio vaporetto stop. This is actually the San Basilio quay/terminal, which only a few of the smaller cruise ships pull into. See this map: www.vtp.it/pages/pdfMappe/terminalCrociere.pdf. You can check for where your ship will dock here: www.vtp.it/pages/calendario/calendarioFiltri.jsp?m=6&r=null.

Unfortunately, you cannot walk to the the main Marittima slips from San Basilio.

Thank you! That map you linked me to gives much greater definition and I see what you mean. So what's the best suggestion to arrive at the cruise terminals? From PiazzaleRoma? Or is the vaporetto stop at Santa Lucia Stazione in reasonable walking distance, or would an ACTV bus or a splurge on a land taxi be recommended for two fairly fit, middle aged women? Thanks for any suggestions.

TNT Cruisers, if you are coming from near Accedemia, you can take the #82 or #1 vaporetto to P. Roma, and walk, take a land taxi, or perhaps catch a shuttle to the ship. No reason to go to Ferrovia (S. Lucia train station). And of course, a land taxi from the hotel is not an option. I don't think a land taxi from P. Roma would be a "splurge", but a water taxi from hotel would be, and may be worth considering.

When we stayed at a hotel very near St. Marks Square, there was a water bus service (not a taxi) to the port. Apparently it runs on the certain days when the big Cruise ships are in port. There are details at the Water Bus stop in front of the gardens at the water's edge by St. Marks Square. Prices and timings are given, so if you have time, it would be worth having a wander down to check.The Water Bus took us straight to the ship (along with several other Cruise passengers who were boarding too.)

Marge M

Another affordable option is Alilaguna, a "bus" type service that takes you to several locations throughout Venice. We used this service to go from the port to St. Marks Square. We took all of our luggage on board, and once we arrived at St. Marks, we lugged it through the square and in to our hotel - Locanda Orseolo. It was slightly difficult with all the pieces, but definitely do-able. I think the trip from the port to St. Marks was about 10-15 Euro?

We also used this service to take us from St. Marks to the airport. Worked perfectly for us - and saved us about 70 Euro (as opposed to getting a water taxi)!

Archived