Statute of Liberty & World Trade Center

bling19572010

luv2cruiseny....your suggestion of the Grey Line "In a New York Minute" tour seems the least intimadating way to sightsee in a short about of time. When you took this tour, did you feel it was worth the money? Also, do you start out at the Pier first or from the Grey Line visitors center? Do you feel that you got a good overview of these great sites? Also, when you did the downtown loop, did you actually get off the bus or just ride through downtown? What about at the Empire State Building....did you get to tour it, if so, for how long? Thank you!!!

Yes, I thought it was worth the money - we started at gray lines visitor center - With your limited time I would suggest that when you contact them about hours of operation you find out if you could do the cruise in the harbor first being you will be doing this is in november and it will probably start to get dark close to 5 pm.

We did get off the bus - they ran frequently so getting on the next one was not an issue. You get to see the city - we got off and had a late lunch in Little Italy. The Empire State Building is open until midnight (last elevator at 11:15) - you would get a beautiful view of NYC after dark and all lit up.

The nice part about the bus is the top is open so if the weather is good you get a good unobstructed view of the city - if it's not so nice you have the option of sitting inside.

I suggested this tour for you because you will get to see the most of NYC in your limited amount of time. Even hailing a cab in NYC can be a little intimidating if you've never visited the city before. You'll be able to see the things that you said you wanted to (including the World Trade Center site, which yes can be depressing and you'll have the option of getting off the bus at that point or just viewing it from the bus).

The only thing I'm not certain of is the winter operating hours for the bus.

p.s. I would definetely skip lunch at your hotel and eat in the city. The choices of restaurants are endless and many are unique.

the empire state building you can spend as much or as little amount of time in it - it has 2 observation decks - 80th floor and 102nd (I think) - they have a website also you can check out. Plus there are other things to do in the building - King Kong memoriable (sp) etc.

Luv2cruiseny.....you have helped me so much...in fact, I think you've planned my ny excursion. I hate to keep bugging you, but one more question.....if we do the Grey Line "In a New York Minute", according to their route, what restuarant would you recommend that would be good food and reasonably priced? Again...thank you soooo much!

Melinda

No bother whatsoever, it's my pleasure -

NYC has so so so many restaurants to choose from - I usually stay away from the theme chain restaurants - they are pretty much the same in every city.

Depending on what you like to eat and how fancy you want to go and what your 21 year old enjoys (mine is 23 and his diet choices are extremely limited picky eater) unlike his mom who doesn't hesitate to try something new when it comes to food - Right below the Empire State Building is a place called the Heartland Brewery - reasonably priced - good food - nice atmosphere - pub type food and it's very good. If you prefer Seafood - the South Street Seaport is on the route and they have a number of really good restaurants

A few blocks from Rockefeller Center (within walking distance) is a place called Jekyll & Hyde Club - pretty unique theme restaurant and has been a hit with everyone I've brought there - Especially around Halloween. Again, it's pub type food - but the atmosphere is pretty unique. they have a website as well http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/home.htm.

Where are you coming from?

anymore questions - please feel free to ask - I'm more than happy to help.

No bother whatsoever, it's my pleasure -

NYC has so so so many restaurants to choose from - I usually stay away from the theme chain restaurants - they are pretty much the same in every city.

Depending on what you like to eat and how fancy you want to go and what your 21 year old enjoys (mine is 23 and his diet choices are extremely limited picky eater) unlike his mom who doesn't hesitate to try something new when it comes to food - Right below the Empire State Building is a place called the Heartland Brewery - reasonably priced - good food - nice atmosphere - pub type food and it's very good. If you prefer Seafood - the South Street Seaport is on the route and they have a number of really good restaurants

A few blocks from Rockefeller Center (within walking distance) is a place called Jekyll & Hyde Club - pretty unique theme restaurant and has been a hit with everyone I've brought there - Especially around Halloween. Again, it's pub type food - but the atmosphere is pretty unique. they have a website as well http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/home.htm.

Where are you coming from?

anymore questions - please feel free to ask - I'm more than happy to help.[/quote

Lu2cruiseny....both restaurant suggestions sound good. We'll have to give one of them a try. We'll be in NYC on November 2, 2006 and that's the same weekend as the NYC Marathon....hopefully, we'll be able to get in either place without a reservation since I'm not familiar enough with the area or the Gray Line tours to know what time we'll be eating.

We live in Kansas City, Missouri and can't wait to see NYC!!

Thanks again for all your good advice...I really do appreciate your help.

Melinda

melinda, it's my pleasure - NYC is a beautiful city - you won't need reservations, but may have to wait on line for either restaurant. make sure that you stop in just about any pizza place in the city and grab a quick slice to hold you over to dinner.

If you have any other questions - please feel free to ask. Enjoy your trip!

Hey...luv2cruiseny....couple more questions. When you did the Gray Line In A New York Minute Tour, did you have to wait in long lines to get into the Empire State Building and also unto the Ferry to the Statute of Liberty? If so, how long do you think we should allow for both?

Thank you!

Hey...luv2cruiseny....couple more questions. When you did the Gray Line In A New York Minute Tour, did you have to wait in long lines to get into the Empire State Building and also unto the Ferry to the Statute of Liberty? If so, how long do you think we should allow for both?

Thank you!

I strongly suggest- IF you want to get into the Statue of Liberty- and frankly- it's never worth it to me, not to. You need to purchase the tickets ahead of time. They are just about NEVER available for same day pick up, unless you want to take a chance to get the stand by tickets given out every morning at 7:30am, be in line by 6:45am. Arrive for the ferry 20-30 min. ahead.

I was there in July and saw ENDLESS people showing up at the ticket booth expecting to get the tickets for the statue access never thinking they never had a chance to begin with. Several trying to "purchase" tickets from those of us who had them. The Park Service stated this was a given - every day.

I do see that you are on a tour- so be sure they include it.

I did have a question about SOL.

Do the tours they have (like Gray Line) inclued the SOL ticket and the Ferry ticket?

Would it be better to do this one on our own and get the time stamp ticket from the website?

BQ knows this from Alaska. The Tongass National Forest only allows 60 folks/day to go to the Anan Bear Creek site where you can watch bears fish for a salmon while they try to jump upstream. (my best excursion ever!) Couldn't book it privately so booked it thru the ship.

THanks again for the info!

Jacquelyn :D

I did have a question about SOL.

Do the tours they have (like Gray Line) inclued the SOL ticket and the Ferry ticket?

Would it be better to do this one on our own and get the time stamp ticket from the website?

BQ knows this from Alaska. The Tongass National Forest only allows 60 folks/day to go to the Anan Bear Creek site where you can watch bears fish for a salmon while they try to jump upstream. (my best excursion ever!) Couldn't book it privately so booked it thru the ship.

THanks again for the info!

The SOL is free its the Ferry(excursion boat) out and back that costs. You can get a specific time on line(which is much better than standing in line and maybe getting a ticket). The parks ranger's give tours at specific times and there is a museum in the SOL base.

The SOL is free its the Ferry(excursion boat) out and back that costs. You can get a specific time on line(which is much better than standing in line and maybe getting a ticket). The parks ranger's give tours at specific times and there is a museum in the SOL base.

The GROUNDS are free. You need a pass to get into the base, as I have already posted. These are in VERY, VERY short supply, IF you want to try getting them the day of your sailing- you need to be there aound 6:30-6:45am for the 7:30am give outs.

Time Pass Reservation System at Statue of Liberty

A "time pass" reservation system has been implemented by the National Park Service for visitors who plan on entering the monument.

Time passes are available at no cost from the ferry company with the purchase of a ferry ticket. Advance tickets can be ordered by calling the ferry company at: 1-866-STATUE4 or on-line at: http://www.statuereservations.com

A limited number of time passes are available from the ferry company each day on a first-come, first-served basis. Time passes are not needed to visit the grounds of Liberty Island or the Ellis Island immigration museum.

I was planning to go this route rather than the Gray Line Tour for our 6 day post cruise stay next year. Had budgeted for the 4 of us to each get a 7 day Metro card. Do they "frown on" mutiple users on one card? Is it one of those "Hey, All NY'ers do it so what the hell?"

(I'm definately a Southern Goody-Two-Shoes Gal!) :o

can't answer this one - I don't use a metro card - You could probably check out the MTA Website for some info. on this

The Gray Line tour includes a trip on the Lady Liberty - it does not stop at the Status of Liberty - it circles the island for a great view. JMAT is limited on time as she only has 1 day in NYC before her trip.

Each person in your party must have their own metro card. The card will not "read" if it is passed twice until 20/30 minutes has gone by. And not in the same station either! Smart card!!:)

B.

No this is wrong. It depends on what kind of Metro Card. The daily or weekly pass ones will only read every twenty minutes(these are unlimited use ones for a day or a week- a single person can use it as many times during the period and only pay for the flat rate). But if you just buy one for its cash value you can swipe it and people through up to 4 times. For every $10.00 of cash value you get 2.00 extra bonus. So you get 6 rides for the price of 5. NY calculates that the average fare is actually about 1.60 because of the multiple use and cash value metro cards. Also remember that if you buy a metrocard, all transfers(bus to train and bus to bus) on a single ride are free.

a warning about a daily card. Its not for 24 hours. Once used it expires at Midnight that day(I am pretty sure it might be 1 am) not 24 hours later

No this is wrong. It depends on what kind of Metro Card. The daily or weekly pass ones will only read every twenty minutes(these are unlimited use ones for a day or a week- a single person can use it as many times during the period and only pay for the flat rate). But if you just buy one for its cash value you can swipe it and people through up to 4 times. For every $10.00 of cash value you get 2.00 extra bonus. So you get 6 rides for the price of 5. NY calculates that the average fare is actually about 1.60 because of the multiple use and cash value metro cards. Also remember that if you buy a metrocard, all transfers(bus to train and bus to bus) on a single ride are free.

a warning about a daily card. Its not for 24 hours. Once used it expires at Midnight that day(I am pretty sure it might be 1 am) not 24 hours later

I can verify that smeyer is right, as usual.

I don't take the trains often, but three of us went into Manhattan yesterday for the Labor Day Parade and we bought on $10.00 card, swiped it three times in quick succession on the way in and three times in quick succession on the way home.

Buy your card from the clerk. Explain what you want to use it for and they will sell you the right one. They are usually much nicer than their reputation and willing to help.

Some of the stations don't have clerks anymore. They have machines that take credit cards. debit cards or cash. The machine will walk you though which card you want.

The clerks can only take cash.

Remember for buses you need exact change in coins or a metrocard. The drivers don't make change.

But thanks to the Queen I now know its good to 3am

NYC transportation system is SOOOOOooo confusing to me. Can someone tell me "exactly" how to get from the Marriott Airport Hotel down to Pier A (Lower Manhattan) to catch the SOL ferry that is part of the "In A New York Minute" Tour (using the transportation system and not a cab)?

THANK YOU!!

Archived