Will Turkish ports be skipped due to terrorism?

slobopolis

Bottom line is that its a safety issue and if info is received by the cruise line that could possibly put you at risk, the cruise line will err on the side of caution. By the way, Celebrity is RCCL....if that helps you make your decision. Nejat is awesome-hope you can go-if not-be openminded and don't make it into a negative situation... JMHO:)

also remember the cruises number one concern is the customers safety

number two concern is their bottum line if they were to go into the port and something bad happened and they ignored the warning up front they would be sued by a lot of people

people on board that didnt even go ashore would want a free cruise for their pain and suffering

look what the bus accident did to their stock prices

Turkey's a great country with incidents of terrorism. So is England, Spain, the USA, etc.

What "criteria" does the line use in deciding to cancel or not... Both officially and unofficially - they're not sayin', and from the line's standpoint, they're hoping you're the last to know.

Its a decision that takes information from the US gov't and others (the Turks ain't closing their ports)... but,

The decision is almost certainly keyed to security-intelligence resources and policy coverage decisions of the cruise lines' "War Risk" insurers. And, of course, there's the lines' own security resources.

In sum, when CIA and DIA agents tire of government work they don't fall off the face of the earth; they go into the private sector (which in some or many ways works better than government) corporate security and intelligence.

So you don't know the criteria they use and they ain't tellin' 'ya!

Here's hoping you have a happy and safe cruise to those great ports of Anatolya!

My wife just came back from the gym where a friend of hers who's son is an entertainer on the Galaxy got notification that the Turkey ports are cancelled...That's all I know...sorry for you all...she did say what the replacement ports where but couldn't remember the names exceopt that it began with a P.

Hi all! Bear with me this is my first post here :) . My wife and I are sailing on a Galaxy Med. Cruise in Nov.

We live in a time where a terriost attack can happen in any vacation location, it is just a sign of the times, and Turkey is very close to the action in the mid east. But I feel that all cruise lines will take every precaution to protect their passenagers. This is a first cruise for my wife and I (she is a medic in the military and stationed in the mid east) and we plan to enjoy this cruise to the fullest. If the cruise line docks in Turkey we will go ashore and enjoy, and if they decide to go and dock in a different port then we will do our best to enjoy what it has to offer too.

Her tour in the mid east has been the worst in 20 years and we are so looking forward to this cruise, we haven't seen each other in 2 months (it will be 4 by Nov.) and even if we have to stay on the ship curled up in each others arms we will be happy. :D

Magellan, that is so neat! I hope you guys have a wonderful time!!! Bless you both! It's just a beautiful part of the world to cruise in...the water can be amazingly blue and you are close enough to shore to enjoy the scenery a good part of many days. Even if you have to miss a port or go to a different, more secure one, cruising will be wonderful!

When you mentioned safety on vacations...it makes me think of our Pride of America cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii (brand new ship and first one built for America in a long time). We had major coast guard protection all the way...including a BIG presence of uniformed and armed guardmen on board! We felt very well taken care of and very proud to be Americans!

Look forward to hearing about your cruise when you return!!!!!!

Folks, a few of you completely missed the question I asked. My question isn't whether it's safe to go to Turkey, or whether you think it's safe. My question was, does anyone know what criteria Celebrity has used to cancel ports of call and substitute them with another? We want to go there, but are concerned we'll get on the boat and find out that Celebrity is cancelling Istanbul and Ephesus. And yes, we realized this was a possibility, that's why we bought insurance. But that wasn't the question either.

Nejat, that is sad to hear. TourDeCruise, good info... I guess I can call Celebrity, although the people I talk to probably won't know more than I do.[/quote I think that is the only way you might find out. I hope that you get to go to Turkey it is one of my favorite places. Lorelle

Folks, a few of you completely missed the question I asked. My question isn't whether it's safe to go to Turkey, or whether you think it's safe. My question was, does anyone know what criteria Celebrity has used to cancel ports of call and substitute them with another? We want to go there, but are concerned we'll get on the boat and find out that Celebrity is cancelling Istanbul and Ephesus. And yes, we realized this was a possibility, that's why we bought insurance. But that wasn't the question either.

Nejat, that is sad to hear. TourDeCruise, good info... I guess I can call Celebrity, although the people I talk to probably won't know more than I do.[/quote I think that is the only way you might find out. I hope that you get to go to Turkey it is one of my favorite places. Lorelle

I don't think there is ANY way to know for sure, they probably monitor the Dept of State website to see their threat assesments on countries. But, other than that it is a roll of the dice. I figure they cancel Turkey today...but by the time I leave maybe it will be back up and running business as usual. It is the way of things.

My wife just came back from the gym where a friend of hers who's son is an entertainer on the Galaxy got notification that the Turkey ports are cancelled...That's all I know...sorry for you all...she did say what the replacement ports where but couldn't remember the names exceopt that it began with a P.

Is it Paros?

Lady C

I'm not the moderator, here, but kindly stop the inflammatory posts and the name calling, ya so-called adults (lol)

People who booked X cruises with stops in Turkey are concerned, not so much for their safety, but that X will re-route. They spend oggles of coin

on a premuim cruise line with a specific itin (IE: this ain't the carribean

and if you havn't checked, X European cruises are bloody expensive).

We all know, that weather and politcal upheavels, etc, can cause itin changes. Most understand this when they sail. That however, does not stop us from asking reasonable questions on how the process of changing a port works, or questioning whether an isolated incident is worth of a port cancellation.

'A Democracy works best when people question their leaders' (Bruce Springsteen) and so does Cruise Critic. Again, it's called cruise CRITIC.

So, anyone here got more pertinant information on how X makes a decision about port changes, or what's happening in Turkey, and less

personal opinions about why people should cruise or not, or jingoistic

slogans....

So if you'd like to tell us all where the safe countrys are we'll all go there, but please don't put America down as one, as you've already made one stupid post!:rolleyes:

I don't believe this type of namecalling is permitted on these boards. But, I guess you wouldn't know that, since you're new to the boards.

I'm not the moderator, here, but kindly stop the inflammatory posts and the name calling, ya so-called adults (lol)

People who booked X cruises with stops in Turkey are concerned, not so much for their safety, but that X will re-route. They spend oggles of coin

on a premuim cruise line with a specific itin (IE: this ain't the carribean

and if you havn't checked, X European cruises are bloody expensive).

We all know, that weather and politcal upheavels, etc, can cause itin changes. Most understand this when they sail. That however, does not stop us from asking reasonable questions on how the process of changing a port works, or questioning whether an isolated incident is worth of a port cancellation.

'A Democracy works best when people question their leaders' (Bruce Springsteen) and so does Cruise Critic. Again, it's called cruise CRITIC.

So, anyone here got more pertinant information on how X makes a decision about port changes, or what's happening in Turkey, and less

personal opinions about why people should cruise or not, or jingoistic

slogans....

Preaching to the choir here...although I hate to agree with Bruce, it is a fantastic quote and so true. Thanks for the reality check for all of us!

Eeer who's name calling? I was making a statement!:rolleyes:

I think the point was that it is impolite to call someone's posting "stupid" we all have diff. points of view and express it in different ways... that said. Let us just forget about it for crying out loud!

yes it is definate your cruise to turkey is cancelled celebrity and rccl are the only two cancelled and the rest of the cruise liners are still in turkey.

Sorry to inform you but this is definate

nejat incedogan

NEJAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are kidding? No, of course you aren't! This is terrible and quite a knee jerk reaction!:mad:

Do you suppose they will change their mind?

I called Celebrity and they said, in short, "No Turkey."

Here are the changes to the itinerary:

Sept 9: Athens 7am-5pm

Sept 10: At Sea

Sept 11: Dubrovnik 8am-5pm

Sept 12: At Sea

Sept 13: Messina 8am-5pm

Sept 14: Naples

I'm really depressed. These are very weak substitutions for those interested in Byzantine, classical, and Biblical history. It figures that I get on the ship with the one company that is cancelling Turkey.

I called Celebrity and they said, in short, "No Turkey."

Here are the changes to the itinerary:

Sept 9: Athens 7am-5pm

Sept 10: At Sea

Sept 11: Dubrovnik 8am-5pm

Sept 12: At Sea

Sept 13: Messina 8am-5pm

Sept 14: Naples

I'm really depressed. These are very weak substitutions for those interested in Byzantine, classical, and Biblical history. It figures that I get on the ship with the one company that is cancelling Turkey.

Why not just cancel, after all, you said you have insurance!!!

I know this is long, but I am sure it is along this type of information, that cruise lines are following.

From the U.S. Embassy web site:

http://ankara.usembassy.gov/warden_08292006.html

Embassy Ankara Warden Message 19

August 29, 2006

The Turkish Government will host parades and other commemorative events for the Zafer Bayrami (Victory Day) on Wednesday, August 30. The Turkish government also has given permission to leftist groups to demonstrate to commemorate World Peace Day on September 1st and 2nd in Ankara and on September 3rd in Istanbul. The Istanbul demonstration, which we expect will be large, will be held in the Sisli-Çağlayan section of Istanbul adjacent to the E-5/D-100 highway.

During this period there will be other events in other cities throughout Turkey, although events in Istanbul are anticipated to be the largest. It is likely that there will be additional, illegal demonstrations held in Ankara, Istanbul and other areas of the country.

In light of recent events in Turkey and because public demonstrations in the country have turned violent in the past, we strongly urge American citizens to avoid the areas of demonstrations, parades and commemorative events if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any public event. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. As is always the case while overseas, Americans should exercise caution and good judgment, keep a low profile, and remain vigilant with regard to their personal security.

Honestly, I see this in a positive way! Makes good sense, and it will be left to RCI, and the Captain when the time comes.

As to what Celebrity tells you on the phone....phoey! I bet there isn't a poster on here who hasn't been given mis-information by the people who answer the phones for cruise lines. Last year I had to tell the person I spoke with on RCI that "Yes, the dining times HAD changed for the Splendour of the Seas while she was in the Med. Thanks to these boards, I indeed had the correct information.

Hang in there everyone!!!!! (well, at least those who choose to!:rolleyes: )

I guess I'm naïve but it didn't occur to me that ships would cancel stops as a result of these incidents. I feel badly for anyone who misses a destination they particularly wanted to visit. We chose our Galaxy Eastern Med for next June *because* it is in Istanbul for (part of) two days. We felt this would be a good introduction to Turkey in an easy travel fashion. If they choose to take it off their itineraries indefinitely, I would strongly reconsider taking that particular trip.

No destination is guaranteed to be safe, we all know that and we choose to take risks or not take risks. I guess that is one of the worst apsects of cruising for me is that the level of personal decision-making I'm used to in our independent travels is taken away.

Unfortunately, three other people are traveling with us so we can't just make and break plans as we wish, we have their interests to consider as well.

Yes, they can change ports on you at whim. We had the same assumptions as you... an easy way to get to see major sites in Turkey.

4cruisers, I wish I shared your optimism, but while customer service people in general often don't know what they're talking about, I doubt this person would have given me the specific itinerary changes I posted earlier unless she had definite info. She read right through it and I wrote it down.

She also told me that the decision to bypass Turkey on the 9/4 Galaxy cruise is final. It won't be reconsidered midway through the cruise. Those who wanted to see Turkey on this cruise are outta luck.

BTW, mcmahans, one thing to do is get cruise insurance that lets you cancel for any reason whatsoever.

But even then, that will be small consolation if they cancel that port 3 days before launch and all of a sudden the vacation you've been waiting for for 6 months is basically ruined and you have to scramble to find something else to do.

Apparently this isn't the first time incidents have happened in Turkey that have spooked Celebrity, and frankly if I knew what I do now and had it to do over again I would've scheduled with a different company (like one of the others who are in port this week according to Nejat) since those ports were so critical to us. (Actually if I had it to do over again, I might just fly to Istanbul and tour w/in the country, although that's more of a pain in the rear than a cruise.)

It's sort of like having a ticket to LA and the airline telling you that it decided to send you to Wyoming instead.

Archived