Will Turkish ports be skipped due to terrorism?

slobopolis

I heard that Celebrity skipped Kusadasi after a bombing last year. Now that the cretins have struck again and bombed more sites, what will be done with Istanbul and Kusadasi? A major reason we are taking our 9/4 E. Med cruise and spending a huge sum of money (for us) is to see Constantinople/Istanbul and Ephesus, and skipping those sites would be a huge downer. No alternative sites would come close. So here we are 5 days away from departure and I'm not sure if we want to go because of the possibility that Celebrity will cancel the ports (we have cruise insurance). Any thoughts, based on Celebrity's past behavior, whether these ports will be skipped?

Thanks.

We were just in Kusadasi, and Istanbul on the Crystal Symphony in late June. We love Turkey. Take a look at your map and you'll realize it's not far at all from Greece!!!!! Rarely does anyone worry about Greece! We felt perfectly safe there. This is actually our third time to this part of the world and I still hope to go back. There are incidents that prevent ships from docking periodically in many parts of the world (granted, certain parts of the Mediterranean are absolute hot spots)...I say "Go for it!" I think your chances of "business as usual" are wonderful! At WORST case scenario, I can't imagine BOTH Turkish ports being cancelled. I think you are worrying needlessly. Your captain would only cancel should your safety be affected, so leave it in his hands!

To let you know how safe we felt in Istanbul...three of the "dads" in our group took the older teens and young adults to a club near where the ship was docked after dinner. They were treated like royalty! Since it was "only 11:00 pm, the club wasn't busy at all...I have great pictures of them dancing to their own band in the club overlooking the water! There was a fireworks show over the water at midnight that was awsome!

In Kusadasi, we ended up spending a couple of hours in a leather shop we had been to before...the same men were running it, and as we bought several items from them (we loved the quality of past purchases) we enjoyed a cold beer, exchanging information on our cultures, and even had our fortune told (not for money, of course!!! Just a very nice young man who was about to become a father for the first time any minute).

That night, we went on a tour to the ruins that included a concert and cocktails and appetizers as the sun set and the lights of the outdoor amplitheater came on. The area surrounding Kusadasi is very modern now (many, many very upscale condos and appartments...it's not at all primative as you might worry). The buses were first rate with great airconditioning and wonderful drivers.

I really hope you decide to go and not worry (can you tell?????!!!:D ).

Let us know how it turns out!

Nanette

I heard that Celebrity skipped Kusadasi after a bombing last year. Now that the cretins have struck again and bombed more sites, what will be done with Istanbul and Kusadasi? A major reason we are taking our 9/4 E. Med cruise and spending a huge sum of money (for us) is to see Constantinople/Istanbul and Ephesus, and skipping those sites would be a huge downer. No alternative sites would come close. So here we are 5 days away from departure and I'm not sure if we want to go because of the possibility that Celebrity will cancel the ports (we have cruise insurance). Any thoughts, based on Celebrity's past behavior, whether these ports will be skipped?

Thanks.

I am very concerned as well as this is the main reason we chose this cruise. Apparently the PKK, the ones responsible for this nonsense, is threatening to strike at tourists. They usually don't do this, the targeting of tourism.

Let's just pray and hope it isn't necessary to cancel, but if so I would rather not have to worry.

Woo

If the Turkish ports were cancelled which ports would the ship call at instead?

Lady C

Personally, I had hopes for Crete, or Venice...Maybe Croatia would be fun.

Don't be sad, I have a saying..."it is what it is." just roll with it. No matter where you end up you will still be on vacation, don't sweat over the things you can't change.

Woo

Maybe you shouldn't go if you feel that insecure about it. Princess skipped those ports last year for only a few cruises in a row...if you ever intend to see these places, naturally there will be a risk no matter when you travel. Didn't you realize this when you booked????

I hope the ports are not skipped.We just returned from Istanbul and Kasadasi .It was the highlight of our cruise and enjoyed the country and people very much.Much to see and learn.Would go back tomorrow without a hesitant.We have a tendency to forget that we lost 3,000 people to a a terrorism act on Sept 11.A lot more than we have lost though out the rest of the world.It would be a shane to miss Turkey.

I hope you do not skip Turkey. Turkey is a wonderful place and the people very nice. Last year there was a bombing not too far from Kusadasi a few weeks before we went, and Celebrity did not cancel Istanbul or Kusadasi. There was a worse bombing after we returned and at that time, Celebrity did cancel Kusadasi (I'm not sure about Istanbul) and substituted a port near Olympia I believe. Other ports that could be substituted will be wonderful too. Best wishes. Please let us know how it turns out.

Folks, a few of you completely missed the question I asked. My question isn't whether it's safe to go to Turkey, or whether you think it's safe. My question was, does anyone know what criteria Celebrity has used to cancel ports of call and substitute them with another? We want to go there, but are concerned we'll get on the boat and find out that Celebrity is cancelling Istanbul and Ephesus. And yes, we realized this was a possibility, that's why we bought insurance. But that wasn't the question either.

Nejat, that is sad to hear. TourDeCruise, good info... I guess I can call Celebrity, although the people I talk to probably won't know more than I do.

I was in Turkey last year and didn't feel any less safe than anywhere else in the world. Everyone was very friendly and nice to us. The bombing took place a couple of weeks after we were there and for a short time some of the cruise ships canceled the port, but then they started up again. Hope you get to go - Ephesus is amazing!

Folks, a few of you completely missed the question I asked. My question isn't whether it's safe to go to Turkey, or whether you think it's safe. My question was, does anyone know what criteria Celebrity has used to cancel ports of call and substitute them with another? We want to go there, but are concerned we'll get on the boat and find out that Celebrity is cancelling Istanbul and Ephesus. And yes, we realized this was a possibility, that's why we bought insurance. But that wasn't the question either.

No idea whether or not they will cancel. But, I have a question on your travel insurance. Most travel insurance will not cover you if you simply decide not to go because the ports have changed. Have you made sure yours will cover you if you decide to cancel because the ports you want to see might be skipped?

Their decision today could change the minute you get on the ship. If you don't want to take the chance, then you should cancel. Do you have the type of insurance that covers this possibility?

Most insurance policies will not cover, so check it out before you make a knee jerk decision.

unfortunately today 30 aug 2006 splendour of the seas will be skipping the

kusadasi and oceania Nautica will be at port in 4 hours.

regards

Nejat incedogan

Yes, Nejat. Our group was wondering since we have a group with you for our trip. I know there is a risk as there was a risk when I visited Egypt in 2003. But, wondered what was going on there from your perspective. We probably would feel safe with you, but wondered what kind of target we would be for the PKK.

Woo

Just called Celebrity this evening and their Miami office is apparently closed becuase of the storm. Anyone know how to find out if they are still planning to visit all ports?

While not always true, generally if one division of a cruiseline company cancels ports for security reasons, the other divisions will also (same intel and corporate security decisions).

As posted, RCCL cancelled Kusadasi. It stands to reason that X would also. No firm way to know until you are on the ship (in-flux security situation).

A cruise is NOT the way to see a destiniation if that is the MAIN reason for the trip. Too much chance of cancellation for a whole variety of reasons. Good luck!!!

It is true that a cruise isn't the most practical way to schedule travel if you wish to see a specific destination. But, our theory was that it would maximize the areas seen. Thought we would give it a try, really wanted to do Turkey, but "it is what it is" if they cancel they cancel. I will still enjoy my journey.

Three tourist killed yesterday in an attack:mad:

Woo

Slobopolis, I really don't understand WHAT you are asking. Everyone has tried to give you their feelings and experiences about Turkey..past cancelations and the fact that a ship might skip a port one week and it will be back on schedule the following week. YOU made the decision to book those ports months ago, I am sure. There have been flare ups there and skipped ports periodically since then but you still booked. We were only trying to help, but you don't seem to want our help.

Should Celebrity tell you they cancelled those ports today, they still might be going back by next week. The captain will make that decision at the time.

As to the original question as to how a cruise line decides to skip a port, it's usually based on information they receive from the US State Department. Cruise lines stay in very close touch with the terrorism unit of the USSD and if that agency determines it's unsafe for a US citizen to visit an area, they issue a travel warning. It's at that time a cruise line can skip a port. I was on Crystal's world cruise a couple of years ago, and at the last minute it was decided to skip the ports in Indonesia because of terrorist threats, identified by the USSD. Well, a few days after we were supposed to stop in Bali, that's when terrorists bombed the night club, killing many tourists.

Often, you won't find out about a skipped port until you're on board.

Just got thru to Celebrity and they said that 2 RCCL ships have cancelled Turkey this week. No decision on Celebrity yet. Sigh.

The customer service person also said that it was not RCCL/Celebrity's decision to cancel. Turkey told them not to enter. That is, it's the country's call. Not sure if that's accurate, but that's what she told me.

4cruisers, never mind.

Nejat, please keep us filled in if you could.

Please understand. Your situation is NOT a mechanical where things can be scheduled in ADVANCE. You most likely WILL NOT know until you are on the ship.

I know you are worried and upset, but your answer was just plain RUDE.

Oh good grief. I'm not taking out anything on folks here, and there have been many helpful responses. There were just one or two that were improperly targeted. Don't assume you know my motives.

So to sum up where things are now, two ships owned by the same company aren't stopping in Turkey this week. I assume if they make a decision before the Galaxy sails to skip the ports, they won't change their mind and decide to visit if things settle down next week. It seems conceivable, based on Kitty9's and other posts, that they may not decide until sometime next week. A decision has apparently not been made to date.

I'm hoping they will stop anyway and let those of us who want to see the sites (and take the risk) see them... It seems like the chances of something happening could be less anyway if security has been significantly beefed up as press reports indicate.

Archived