How do you get to 7 mile beach

cruisingaround61

Will I be able to get a taxi to seven mile beach or should I book the excursion from the ship? Ship excursion just includes transportation to beach and then they point you to lounges and umbrellas. Are the lounges and umbrellas free or do you pay to rent them? Am a little confused about distance to beach. I'm going in October, will beach be crowded?

The easiest way to get there is just grab a cab. Sea Grape and Royal Palms offer food, restrooms, chairs for rent, and water toy rentals. Some of the hotels offer day-passes, but I don't know which ones or how much they charge.

You can plop your towels anywhere along the beach...the beaches are free, but I doubt you'll find a free chair anywhere...maybe a picnic bench at the public beach, but I've not been to any of these places. We rented a condo for the week, and we pretty much stayed right in front of the place when we wanted to use the beach area. I know there was a guard at the place we stayed that prevented anyone who wasn't staying at the condo from using their chairs...and I would imagine there will be more of this going on since they are allowing way too many people via cruise ship.

It's not too far to the beach, but I wouldn't walk. I'm not good at estimating how far the nearest part of the beach is...but it's quite a walk, IMO.

It's hard to say how crowded it will be. There were a couple of days that there were nine ships in port and it was a ZOO. The key to having a good time, is to have a plan. We love the island. It's really pretty and safe.

Here's the Cayman Port Authority website...you can check and see what ships will be in port the day you are scheduled to be there. Be aware that this might change...I printed this out for our stay, and there was almost always one more ship in port than was listed on their site. But it will give you an idea of what ships will be in port the same day you are there.

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

Have a great time! :)

Don’t bother to book with the ship. Much cheaper to do it on your own and very easy, too. It is much too far to walk; however you should have no problem getting a cab as you leave the dock area. There are usually more than enough to have your pick. The cab price is already set by Caymanian law so you don't need to worry about if there is one that is more or less expensive. The driver will drop you off anywhere on 7 Mile Beach and you can catch a cab or the city bus back.

All the beaches are free; however, you will have to pay for umbrella, chair, etc. At the Hyatt you can purchase a day pass which has a food and bar credit along with use of the pool and the beach chairs and umbrellas. If you decide to go there, just tell the cab driver to drop you off, then on the way back you walk across the street and catch a cab or the bus back.

I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact cost of the day pass; however, I think it was less than $50 per person. As I said, they actually give you a credit to use for food or drink at the beach bar which I think was about $15. Not much considering the cost of the drinks (maybe $10), but then all food and drink on the island is much higher than we are used to in the states. I might be best to call the Hyatt directly to get the exact current info. It has been a year since we were there.

Be careful on this beach. Since the hurricane there are a lot of people imported for construction that are ripping people off, instead of working. They ride their bikes on the road beside the beach and wait for you to go in the water. Then they take what they can and off they go.

I'm not sure how current these fares are. Rates for all taxis have to be approved by the Caymanian government, and these were official as of last Sept.

"Revised Taxi Fares Sept 1, 2005

All fares quoted are in US Dollars

Island Tours $20 (Turtle Farm admission not included)

Tours takes you to: Seven Mile Beach Turtle Farm, Hell, Tortuga Rum & Cake. (Optional)

Taxi to all locations on Seven Mile Beach

Royal Palms $4

Beach Club $4

Public Beach $5

Sea Grape $5

Courtyard Marriott $6

Cemetery Beach $6 (Good snorkeling)

Yacht Club $7

Morgans Harbour $7

All tours from Spotts up from $20 to $25. (Turtle Farm admission not included)

From Spotts to Georgetown $5

From Spotts to all beaches $1 extra on all revised fares.

Express Taxi to: Turtle Farm, Hell, $12 RT (Turtle Farm admission not included)

Approved by the (PTB) Public Transportation Board of the Cayman Islands"

We just went to Sea Grape beach the other day. We hailed a cab then made a deal for the driver to take us to Hell, then drop us off at the beach which is free access. It cost $10.00 if you want to rent a chair, but we just put our stuff on a picnic table, and sat near the water. Sand is very soft. Then driver picked us up around 2:30 then dropped us off near shopping all for $15. each. It worked out great for us.

Archived