Suggestions for gifts for Goodwill Guides

Mapu

For our Kyoto, Osaka, and Nagasaki visits, I have arranged for Goodwill Guides (sometimes called Friendship Guides). These people are volunteers; we pay their expenses to "get to us" as well as lunch and any entry or transportation fees. Has anyone used these services? Can you suggest gifts for our guides? Gail

area in the Central Valley of California. Umm, do call your local customs office to make sure that what you're taking will be allowed - we took several types of flavored nuts (almonds and walnuts) and then arranged them in a basket so that they could have a 'taste' of our valley. The Jalapeno and the Chocolate nuts went over the best - in many case, they were opened and shared on the spot.

Money is nice and we tipped our guides well, but I feel like they really appreciated our efforts and forethought. check and see what is available, either as a produce (dried or candied is good - they also like jellies and jams) or something that is made in your region. It doesn't have to be costly, they sincerely seemed to appreciate the thought.

Just a side note, sevearl people found the war museum at Nagasaki very difficult to deal with as it shows the war from their perspective and we have several vets who were angry, depressed and frustrated with the views that were presented there. Just to forewarn you in case. The Peace Momument was lovely and the city reminded me a bit of SF with all the hills.

Have a wonderful trip to Japan. The people are wonderful and I'm not just saying that because our son is Japanese.

Sail Safe,

Charlie

Hi Gail

I was kinda stuggling with that myself since I know there are several places we may need to have a gift .. my mom suggested the local handmade/or identified as Portland Christmas ornaments and I thought that was a lovely suggestion and easy to pack.

Only 41 days :)

Hi Kathy,

I spoke to my son (who was in Japan for a summer while in High School) and he reminded me of one of the gifts we sent with him for his Japanese family; it is a kitchen mitt with a map of Michigan. Definitely easy to pack, so that is on my list. His Japanese family also liked coffee so when he was back in MI we sent some over to them at a significant cost for postage! Gail

Am interested in getting in touch with nagasaki friendship guide. Can my husband and I join in on your tour with them? Do you have email address? How did you find out about them? Do you know if they are reliable?

Are you on Oct. 26 cruise? Babs

Am interested in getting in touch with nagasaki friendship guide. Can my husband and I join in on your tour with them? Do you have email address? How did you find out about them? Do you know if they are reliable?

Are you on Oct. 26 cruise? Babs

We are on the October 14th cruise. If you email me silvermangail@hotmail.com I'll forward the info to you. Gail

Archived