Live from the Sun heading to Prince rupert

mrchris11731

Our trip is winding down Alaska is truly a beautiful place. The Sun is a outstanding ship the crew is fabulous. On the not so positive note I can say I am bored to DEATH on this cruise. I knew alaska was for mainly retired people but this is just not a fun cruise. The ports are nice but the are all filled with jewelry shops worthless to me. Went on a helicopter ride in skagway fabulous.. The food is as I expected from my few months of hanging around on cruise critic. Ate at east meets west last night best dinner of trip. Garden Cafe is a normal hometown buffet gets on your nerves after a while. 4Seasons and 7 seas well my experience wasn't to good but othere people said they had great food. My 2 teenagers i think hate me for putting them through this experience. Anyway i will give a full report when we get home so long

Sorry you've had some disappointments, mrchris. I've never been to Alaska, but I'm pretty sure hubby and I would be in agreement with you....I'm sure it is beautiful, but after a day or two, I'm afraid it would definitely be a bit "nature-intensive" for us. In my head it's like Chevy Chase in "Vacation"....I believe he is standing at the Grand Canyon, bobs his head a couple of times to take it in, then he's ready to go! :p

Anyway, glad to hear that you like the Sun. We'll be boarding her in just a few weeks and CAN'T WAIT!!

Sorry you've had some disappointments, mrchris. I've never been to Alaska, but I'm pretty sure hubby and I would be in agreement with you....I'm sure it is beautiful, but after a day or two, I'm afraid it would definitely be a bit "nature-intensive" for us. In my head it's like Chevy Chase in "Vacation"....I believe he is standing at the Grand Canyon, bobs his head a couple of times to take it in, then he's ready to go! :p

Anyway, glad to hear that you like the Sun. We'll be boarding her in just a few weeks and CAN'T WAIT!!

That is so funny. It's just the way we feel about the Caribbean! Never been, don't want to go. But Alaska, WOW! We had so much fun hiking around the top of Mt. Roberts, gawking on the tram all the way up and down; taking the bus to Mendenhall Glacier just to walk around; flying in a seaplane to the Misty Fjords; doing the catamaran trip the Sun offered to the Sawyer Glaciers; hiking the Chilkoot Trail and floating down the Taiya River. Oh my, I can hardly wait to return. It's great that we have all the choices we have.

Bored ?? You guys must have acted like those retired people you talked about ---you need to get off the ship and do the excursions -see the Wildlife. Gee with so many things to do that the Sun you should be embarassed and disappointed with this cruise because you didn't get off your behind and enjoy the wonders surrounding you. I returned from the 8/5 trip and have booked again already for next year for our 5th trip to Alaska in the last 6 years.

Bored ?? You guys must have acted like those retired people you talked about ---Gee with so many things to do that the Sun you should be embarassed and disappointed with this cruise because you didn't get off your behind and enjoy the wonders surrounding you.

c'mon, to each, his own,

live and let live

que sera, sera

not his cup of tea

we all have our own interests.

There are plenty of things all of us do that you might find boring, it's no big deal, no need to be disrespectful to the guy. just his opinion. you have a different opinion, tough rabbits (as my father in law would say).

Well, I have to throw my hat in on this one. I was in Skagway/Whitehorse last week on business and happened to see the folks that we on the NCL Sun and one of the HAL ships. They did look bored. I think partly because the weather has been the absolute pits up there. Perhaps if the weather was nicer you would have had a better time. I know that driving up the Klondike Hwy and thinking about the poor souls on the White Pass train not being able to see a darn thing (because it was sooo foggy) really would have gotten me down.

We had originally booked Alaska for next May, but changed to a Hawaii reposition in Sept 2007 partly because we live in Vancouver, and travel throughout BC yearly. So, another coastal town to me is not interesting (especially if I see it monthly). And the green, well I have that in my backyard. Eagles? Used to live in Brackendale, BC where they hunt in the winter, so that doesn't interest me; and for a coastal fishing villiage like Sitka and Skagway, well I was born in a small coastal fishing town; fish yearly in Prince Rupert, so that didn't thrill me either.

So, to comment on what Michelle said about Chevy Chase, yep that would be me on an Alaskan cruise.

So, in a nutshell, to each his own. We are all individuals. What one person loves, another hates. If everything was perfect, we wouldn't have garage sales and pay money for other peoples junk, right?

hi pat the cruise director was linda like Luvto chris she is ok there just some quirky thing about her. For you Crazy sue we did lumber jack show and duck tour in ketickan, In Juneau we took bus to mendenhall 6 dollars each way the tram was fogged in so didn't waste time. Skagway did helicopter to glacier worth every penny and train in afternoon both great time. Prince rupert is a town not owned by thr cruise lines yet but there isn't much there.

hi my wife and i went on the sun june 10. we both had a wonderful time. we were never bored as there was too much todo. more food than i could eat and it was good . the staff were wonderful. alaska is too much to and we wish we could have stayed in port longer maybe overnight. i loved the ship. rick

Our trip is winding down Alaska is truly a beautiful place. The Sun is a outstanding ship the crew is fabulous. On the not so positive note I can say I am bored to DEATH on this cruise. I knew alaska was for mainly retired people but this is just not a fun cruise. The ports are nice but the are all filled with jewelry shops worthless to me. Went on a helicopter ride in skagway fabulous.. The food is as I expected from my few months of hanging around on cruise critic. Ate at east meets west last night best dinner of trip. Garden Cafe is a normal hometown buffet gets on your nerves after a while. 4Seasons and 7 seas well my experience wasn't to good but othere people said they had great food. My 2 teenagers i think hate me for putting them through this experience. Anyway i will give a full report when we get home so long

I don't know how many cruises you have been on, but with a port almost daily and nightly entertainment I am wondering why you are bored. I am not a great lover of Alaska, we were a little disappointed, but our granddaughter who was 13 when we took her still years later says it was her best cruise. Of course not being able to do the pool thing etc can make for long days sometimes. Did your teens take part in the teen activities? It could have been a little less exciting for them as much of the country has gone back to school now so I would guess there isn't as many kids on the ship as there would have been in July and August. Alaska is probably a better cruise for those past 50, but even then, if the weather is bad which can always happen I can see where you might be bored. . NMNita

I'm 58 yeras old, not Dead yet, and my wife 54 --we total enjoyed the Norwegian Sun(August 5th) and our grandaughter age 7 totally enjoyed the Alaskan Adventure. My granddaughter spent the last full day at sea in the pool- weather not 80-90 degrees but 60-70 on the Friday returning to Seattle.

My wife and I don't drink, don't party and don't care about the cruise director-there are SO MANY other things to do on that ship to keep one entertained. My Granddaughter, although reluctant at first, attended the Kid's Crew and had a great time each night. The staff was great.

Shore excursions, some expensive, all were worth the $$$ spent- especially the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer. In fact when we arrived back aboard the Sun --everybody with their beer/cocktails in hand asked where did we come from. Obviously there are people who are there just to party and other out to see the beauty of Alaska.

Archived