Train to Berlin

Have you done any other planning for doing this? Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing this by train. According to the German Railways online timetable, there's only one direct train every two hours from Rostock to Berlin. This takes just under 3 hours. The other trains involve one change, and take between 3½ and 4 hours each way.

If you were to rent a car and drive to Berlin, you'd get there in under two hours. That's how I did it when I did a Baltic cruise a few years back. And between doing that and having the freedom to see what I wanted to see in Berlin, it was a brilliant day out.

You might think twice about taking the train to Berlin yourself. On the June 19 Constellation, the train that all 700 cruise ship passengers were on was late. The captain had to delay our sailing by 2 hours to wait for them. Our family took the ship's "Berlin on your own" excursion and were met at the train station by a private guide. It would have been cheaper if the guide had driven to Rostock and brought them to Berlin in a van, but my family loves trains so they wanted that experience. But in answer to your question, the Rostock train station is only a few minutes from the pier.

Archived