stingray city

Squirtreena

Can anyone recommend a reputable company to do stingray city with besides the4 cruise line...the last time our trip got cancelled dut to rough seas..

this time i want to try to go with a small group a local cause they told me last time i should have asked a local to take me out. anyone go with out the cruise line?

We did our stringray city visit with Soto's. Here is the web site. We got several, I think it was three places to snorkel and then a stop at Stringray city for a really good price because we signed up on the Internet. They picked us up downtown in a van and took us to their dock as part of the service. Here is there web site.

http://www.divecayman.ky/vacation_planner/eBrochure.asp?k=6&b=1&pid=36622

Have a great next cruise.

We used Captain Marvin's as well. If you need to use a tender,(I think all do in this port), give yourself enough time. There was a medical evacuation from our ship that caused a delay. We missed a charter we had booked with another company, but were lucky to hook up with Captain Marvin using a flyer we found in a gift shop. Somehow others from our ship got off before the delay and made it to the first charter. I had to argue my case so they wouldn't charge my credit card. I also got a letter from the ship explaining the delay just incase the charge showed up on my credit card. Gotta cover those bases;)

Sharon Ebanks and her husband who own Nativeways are great. The group they take out is much smaller than the cruise ship groups, and we felt we had much more personal attention. One of the guides held the stingrays so that everyone who wanted could touch and/or take pictures. If we cruise to Grand Cayman again, we wouldn't hesitate to go with them!

Sharon Ebanks and her husband who own Nativeways are great. The group they take out is much smaller than the cruise ship groups, and we felt we had much more personal attention. One of the guides held the stingrays so that everyone who wanted could touch and/or take pictures. If we cruise to Grand Cayman again, we wouldn't hesitate to go with them!

Thanks for sharing that -- with a 4 yr. old, I really don't want to be mixed up in a big crowd even though he's an excellent swimmer and will be wearing a life preserver. Looking forward to it! :)

Did you take the island tour, as well? If so, what did you think of it?

We didn't take the island tour, although we saw quite a bit of it in the bus going to the boat. We were out on the water for the majority of the time. We had two stops: one to commune with the stingrays, and then another stop at a coral reef to snorkel. They dropped some people off at a beach on the way back, and then they were responsible for their own transportation back to the tender. (There appeared to be a number of taxis waiting, and we saw the people at dinner, so getting back wasn't a problem!) They have water and fruit punch on the boat, so you don't need to bring bottled beverages, but do bring plenty of sunscreen since the sun gets pretty intense.

Hope this helps - have fun!

We also used Nativeway for our swim and snorkle at Stingray City.We paid $30 apiece which included your snorkle gear and food for stingrays and refreshments on the boat.The guides were great!They picked up the stingrays and brought them right to you to hold or touch or whatever you were comfortable with!They also explained the differences between them and gave us great info on them!Also were very entertaining and personable.Eldon and Sharon were great hosts and wouldn't hesitate to use them when we go back in 2006.I would highly recommend them!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I took a cruise tour on a 35 foot sailboat called the Xanax with Capt. Dan (he has a great story that goes with the boats name). This guy and his mate are fun to be around. He has a story for just about every subjuect that comes up. If you do go with him, ask about his trip to Cuba and running before the hurricane. We spent some time sailing in the ocean beyond the reef, came back to the edge of the reef for some snorkleing then went to stingray city sandbar after most of the crowds had gone. I had a great time, but my wife surcame to seasickness. I don't have his information but I'm sure you can get it through one of the St. George, Grand Cayman Island Tourist sites.

We used Nativeways water sports and they were great! I would use them again. They took us to stingray city and then out to a reef to snorkel.

Cost us 24/pp and it was so much fun!

We used Nativeways as well - and enjoyed the trip. I will say that regardless of who you end up going with for the tour, you're taken to the same area for the stingray swim, and as a result - it's crowded - regardless of HOW many other people are on your boat with you. We had our then 6 year old and our 4 year old with us at the time, and it's a good thing for those life preservers because neither could touch the ground (I barely could - tiptoes only - and I'm 5'4"). The depth of the water changes though, depending on the tidal conditions and time of year, so it could be much more shallow when you cruise. As it ended up, the 4 year old wasn't comfortable and ended up staying on the boat. (you really don't "swim" - you pretty much stand up and pet the stingrays or just tread water and do so...it's too crowded to truly swim unless you get out past where the boats are)

loved nativeway! we used them based on the recommendations from other cruise critic members. it was the best money i've ever spent on a shore excursion. we did the stingray city & island drive for $40. we stopped at stingray city, coral gardens and the reef wall for snorkeling. then the island drive went to the turtle farm and hell! it was awesome. we saw some boats out at stingray city that were packed with 200+ passengers. we had only 24 in our boat. we find out private spot in the corner and the guys on the boat were great. they caught a male and female stingray for us to hold, kiss and get back rubs with. it was great! i couldn't have asked for a better company to have done stingray city with!

Used Captain Marvins. Very classy company. They do not charge your card until you show up. I am assuming that if they are able to fill your spot if you do not make it - they do not charge you for a non-show. They are very popular, so I also assume they never go out without a full boat.

You have to swim to the area where you can then stand up for your encounter. (Everyone wears life jackets whether or not you know how to swim.) Since I don't know how to swim, my husband usually has the job of hauling me around in the water, but the staff from Captain Marvin's took over for him - took great care of the non-swimmers. They were very intent on seeing we all had a wonderful time.

You will love this excursion. The close-up experience was awesome.

Archived