I am sooooo confused.........

Ok, to make sure I have this right. We take a taxi to the water taxi and then the water taxi to St. Johns and then a taxi to the beach we want?

1. How much time and money do we allow for taxi from ship to water taxi?

2. How much time and money for water taxi to St. Johns's?

3. How much time for taxi to a beach in St. John's?

Is there a choice of water taxi companies to St. John's?

Which is the best beach is St. John for snorkeling off the beach?

Do we have enough time to do this if the ship sails at 4:00 pm? We would have to be back to the ship by 3:15-3:30 pm?

Thanks!!!

You pretty much have it right. You take a taxi to Red Hook, then a ferry over to St. John and from there a taxi to whatever beach you choose (or you can rent a jeep and drive all over the island). We loved Trunk Bay but it is quite popular and can be crowded on days with lots of cruise ships. Cinnamon Bay is also great and also has facilities.

We actually visited St. John twice while we were on a land vacation to St. Thomas, so I can't remember the cost of the various trips. It's not cheap, as taxis are a bit high in the Virgin Islands. And yes, you do have to keep an eye on the clock. The ferry runs every half hour, I think. There's also a ferry that runs directly to Charlotte Amalie, but it runs only every hour and you still would need to take a taxi to the ferry dock, so most folks go to Red Hook and take the shorter ferry. So if you plan to do this you need to be up and moving early. St. John is absolutely gorgeous but it will be the only thing that you do that day. On our 2 cruises that stopped in St. Thomas, we wanted to shop in Charlotte Amalie and so chose to do a beach in St. Thomas instead of going all the way to St. John, especially as we had already been there. But if good snorkeling is important to you, you can't beat St. John.

Archived