Rates for tours of Rome?

Hi-

I have contacted 2 companies for a tour of Rome. There is a $200 difference between the two companies (one is $600 whereas the other is $800). Both tours make the same stops, no lunch or admissions, and provide english speaking drivers. The only difference I can see is that the pricier one is an hour longer .

What kind of rates have you been quoted? I just wnat to get an idea so I can figure out what to do.

barbara

I have retained a driver (who is not technically a guide) for our family of four to show us around Rome after our upcoming RSSC med cruise. He is charging 320 euros for the four of us for the day not including lunch or any admissions. He was the most reasonable of all the people that I emailed for rates.

Sue

It seems to depend on whether the person is a driver or a guide, and how popular they are. You can always ask for references and get the opinions of those who have used them to get an idea of if the extra hour is of any value, ie for that hour are you left off to shop or is the driver showing you around.

We had 2 quotes. One was $420 & the other $580. The higher priced man came highly recommended from a friend. He has been giving tours for 50 YEARS (he is 75) & we went with him. He said he would show us more in a day than what people see in a week. We had 2 couples & a 15 yr. old and a 21 yr. old. He gave us facts at St. Peter's Basilica & then we went in on our own. He took us to the catacombs on the Appian Way, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Forum. A quick stop at Hard Rock for souvenirs then on to a tratorria for a quick lunch. He pointed out the oldest hospital in Europe, statues & more fountains. We went to St. Peter in Chains to see Michaelangelo's Moses. You get what you pay for! Booking a private tour was so much better than the bus load. He knew what times various places would be crowded & he knew what times the places were opened. We were there on Sunday July 11. On certain streets you can only drive if you have a sticker.

Twinsmom has a good point.

Guides in Rome are licensed or regulated in some way. The licensed guides can bypass lines to purchase tickets on your behalf, thus saving alot of time. Guides can also go in with you to certain sites and give commentary if you wish. There are a TON of "guides" out there who do not have the proper credentials to provide these extra services. (in fact, our Guide had a few words for those non-credentialed "guides" who were hawking their services outside of the main attractions.) Drivers may or may not be guides. You might want to ask the tour company about whether or not the specific person taking you around for the day can provide these extra benefits.

In Rome the driver (who I assume was also a guide) did not speak English well enough, so the tour company provided a guide also for no additional charge. It was great, because the driver parks or circles while you are visiting a site, then you come out and they are RIGHT THERE to pick you up and take you to the next spot.

We paid about $500 for four people for a 9-hour day in Rome and also in Florence/Pisa. We felt we really got our money's worth on both days. The daily price goes up with more people, but it is less PER PERSON the more people you have. (i.e. $500 for 4, $550 for 5 and so on.)

Our service was driverinrome.com. I would use them again in a heartbeat. We had driver Fabrizio / guide Cinzia for Rome. And Pepe was our guide in Florence. Excellent folks.

Hi BaltimoreBard,

We were in Rome last year in October and did a great deal of research for my Mothers' trip in April. We found ScaleReale through Rick Steves and couldn't have been happier. He is an American married to a Roman and he does marvelous walking (indepth) tours. He also has recommendations for hotels,

restaurants and transportation on his site. We found him wonderful and plan to use him again this fall. He also has partners in Venice and Florence.

Regards,

Shannon

P.S. Rome is the best, enjoy

Hi there,

the web site is Scalareale.org. Check it out. If you only have one day they might not work for you. Our Vatican tour was 4 hours, six people, led by PHd, in art history. I never would have imagined I would have been facinated every moment, but I was.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy

Regards,

Shannon

Archived