Thinking about trying carnival...

Last March was our first Carnival and it was on their new ship the Liberty. We enjoyed it very much (Eastern route). Pluses were bigger cabin, food was good. It didn't bother us you couldn't get from one end to the other without going up and down(we are walkers!!) I would just do your homework about the ships. We were planning on the Destiny this coming Feb. and friends(and these boards) strongly suggested we switch to the AOS. We did last week and we are so glad we did. Seems Destiny is having a lot of trouble and is pretty old. THere are many who love the Destiny, but we were not happy once they dropped Aruba. Main reason we booked it. Whatever you choose, have a good cruise!!!:)

I had only cruised carnival before and never had a problem. When I went to book my next cruise I saw that they did not go to Aruba anymore, so we booked AOS. I am super exited.

Crazidude,

I am curious as to why you have the same question posted on the Carnival board, saying you are planning to try Carnival? Trying to get two bashing threads started?

Sue

Sue, yes, isn't it interesting! We have a "Double Troll" in the works. Not that anyone will pay attention.

Why would crazydude post on the carnival board with the same exact question but substituting RCCL for Carnival? I'm new to Cruise Critics, but I thought these boards were to discuss cruising issues. Is obvious this person isn't really interested in your answers, but just wants to stir up trouble. Is this kind of stuff typical on Cruise Critics or does this person have nothing better to do?

Why would crazydude post on the carnival board with the same exact question but substituting RCCL for Carnival? I'm new to Cruise Critics, but I thought these boards were to discuss cruising issues. Is obvious this person isn't really interested in your answers, but just wants to stir up trouble. Is this kind of stuff typical on Cruise Critics or does this person have nothing better to do?

This person has a history of trying to stir things up on the Carnival board. I would just ignore the question and thread. His posting history speaks for itself.

This person has a history of trying to stir things up on the Carnival board. I would just ignore the question and thread. His posting history speaks for itself.

No kidding.

That being said, let's face it - they are basically the same product. Princess too.

Guest LetMeGo
The public space to passenger ratio is too low, so the ship feels very crowded and overrun with kids.

Although they accomodates more passengers, it is much larger so the people have more space to spread out, and it feels much less crowded.

The crew to passenger ratio is again very high, so they cannot provide the individualized and attentive service that RCI provides.

I really don't see these as being accurate statements... Let's look at the actual numbers. ;)

Monarch of the Seas: GRT 74,000, GRT per person (double occupancy) 31.4, Staff per person 0.35

Splendour of the Seas: GRT 70,000, GRTpp 33.7, Staffpp 0.35

Voyager of the Seas: GRT 138,000, GRTpp 44.3, Staffpp 0.38

Holiday: GRT 46,000, GRTpp 31.7, Staffpp 0.45

Fantasy: GRT 70,000, GRTpp 34, Staffpp 0.44

Conquest: GRT 109,000, GRTpp 36,6, Staffpp 0.39

Spirit: GRT 88,000, GRTpp 41.4, Staffpp 0.44

So you get most room on a Voyager-class ship, but after that the roomiest are CCL's Spirit, Conquest and Fantasy series before another RCCL series comes in. The overall trend is that the newer the ship (on any line!), the more you have room for passengers. These days a regular RCCL cabin of 160 square ft is about 13 GRT, while the CCL cabins of 190 square ft are 15 GRT each... 1 GRT per person is not that much of a difference.

As for staff... Based on the numbers every single CCL ship beats even the most staffed RCCL ship. You can always blame the quality of service, but you can't blame the quantity. :D (And I'm sure you will get many disagreeing opinions about the quality as well.)

There might be some truth to the CCL's Destiny/Triumph/whatever class feeling crowded because of the mistakes in the deck layout, but I'm sure there are similar opinions about some of the older RCCL ships as well. :eek:

Archived