cabin question

lowerowe

I was just curious. i booked a cruise for my mom, my husband and I but did not request a room. I have heard about a guarantee. The TA didn't tell me what the room would be but told me that I should just let the people at carnival worry about that. does this mean that I have a guarantee? When I received my package in the mail it says inside4a. Is this stilll a guarantee and if so I have heard many people say that there are alot of times when those are the best way to go because you can be upgraded. If this is what I have is it possible to be upgraded to at least an ocean view room so that I can have a window for air? If they can't upgrade me does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to upgrade to at least an ocean view room on the sensation 9/24?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.:confused:

Hi there, it definitely sounds to me that you have an inside "guarantee", which means that as you get close to sailing you will be assigned a stateroom. It will be at least the inside category that you booked, but you could get upgraded to an oceanview.

I would recommend that you book the type of stateroom that you want to be in, as it is a real gamble to hope to upgraded. You could call your travel agent and ask how much it would cost to upgrade to an oceanview stateroom. Also note that oceanview staterooms have windows, but they do not open. If you want a window that opens you would need to book a balcony stateroom, and there are not very many on Carnival Sensation so the cost would be considerable.

I hope this helps a bit. Happy cruise planning!

You do realize that you cannot open any window of an ocean view cabin. The only way to get fresh air is to have a balcony cabin. All windows on a cruise ship are sealed shut.

You have a guarantee but there can be problems with not picking your own cabin. You could be assigned to one of the worst cabins in your category, so that's something you need to be aware of. I would much rather pick the cabin that I'm in so I don't get a cabin in a location that I don't like. Also, with most cruise ships going out over capacity, don't count on an upgrade. Another point, when you book an inside guarantee, they don't usually give you a huge upgrade----don't expect to get an ocean view, but probably just a better category of an inside cabin.

IF, and that's a pretty big IF, there are any cabins available for you to upgrade to, they usually make you pay the full difference between the price of your cabin and the one you want to upgrade to. My advice to anyone is: Never take a guarantee unless you'll be happy with whatever they assign you, even if it's not a good cabin. You don't save much, if any, money by getting a guarantee. You pay the same for most categories whether you pick your own cabin or go for a guarantee.

Well thank you both for your input. I just felt so stupid asking. I didn't understand what was going on I guess and should have read up a whole lot more before booking. Is there a place on the carnival website to find out the difference in upgrading to an ocean view or balcony from an inside? If so I will be cruising in 3 week is it too late to do so? If not I will keep my fingers crossed for any upgrade. I do know that my TA lied to me about the types of rooms. Even when I confronted her about it she just kept lying and wouldn't return my phone calls. I just decided that I would try to settle with what they were going to give me but I am a little worried now. I plan on calling tomorrow and at least asking what the price difference is for an ocean view at least with that I can look out and not fill like I am shut in.

thanks again

I just took a look at your sailing on Sensation. There are plenty of suites left. And, the price total for 3 people would be about $1100. I don't know what you paid for originally so I can't give you a difference. But, that total includes all 3 adults cruise fare and taxes and port charges for a Suite Guarantee. There are no regular balcony cabins on the Sensation so you'd have to go for a full suite to get a balcony.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

Is there a place on the carnival website to find out the difference in upgrading to an ocean view or balcony from an inside? If so I will be cruising in 3 week is it too late to do so?

I do know that my TA lied to me about the types of rooms. Even when I confronted her about it she just kept lying and wouldn't return my phone calls. I just decided that I would try to settle with what they were going to give me but I am a little worried now. I plan on calling tomorrow and at least asking what the price difference is for an ocean view at least with that I can look out and not fill like I am shut in.

thanks again

You will find prices on the Carnival site but I believe that since you are booked through a TA, the TA will have to do the changes.

If cabins are available, you can change even at the last minute. New bookings must be done a minimum of 3 days prior to sailing.

I don't know what the situation is with your TA. But, you will be stuck with her for this booking unless it is a larger agency and you can ask the owner to have someone else handle the changes you want. Personally, at this late date, I would just deal with the current gal as nicely as possible and never go back. (I would visit the owner personally after the cruise and let him/her know why.)

There are currently oceanviews (not guarantees, pick your own cabin) that would run about $600 total for the 3 of you minus what you have already paid. I found at least 10 suites going for the $1100 price. Again, pick your own (the guarentee is actually more expensive but you might end up with a penthouse suite).

Good luck,

Charlie

I just took a look at your sailing on Sensation. There are plenty of suites left. And, the price total for 3 people would be about $1100. I don't know what you paid for originally so I can't give you a difference. But, that total includes all 3 adults cruise fare and taxes and port charges for a Suite Guarantee. There are no regular balcony cabins on the Sensation so you'd have to go for a full suite to get a balcony.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

How do you check which cabins are left? I have the same dilemma. I have a guarantee inside cabin on the Crown Princess sailing 9/12/06. I just found out that my husband and I have E108. Can you tell me how I can find out if there are any other suites available for an upgrade?

How do you check which cabins are left? I have the same dilemma. I have a guarantee inside cabin on the Crown Princess sailing 9/12/06. I just found out that my husband and I have E108. Can you tell me how I can find out if there are any other suites available for an upgrade?

Monticor ~ go to the Princess web site: http://www.princess.com and go through the booking process as if you were going to book the cruise direct. Then, you will see what's available and how much the suite cabins are going for today. What you'll pay to upgrade to that suite would only be the difference between what you booked and what the price is today. Since sailing time is so close, the prices are likely to be fairly high. Then, if you want to upgrade, call your TA or Princess(whomever you booked with) and upgrade it!

I just looked: right now that sailing's prices are:

Oceanview from $799 per person

Balcony from $899 per person

Mini-Suite: from $1299 per person

Suite: from $2749 per person

Keep in mind these are the lowest prices for each category and do not include port charges and government fees.

Good luck!

Monticor ~ go to the Princess web site: http://www.princess.com and go through the booking process as if you were going to book the cruise direct. Then, you will see what's available and how much the suite cabins are going for today. What you'll pay to upgrade to that suite would only be the difference between what you booked and what the price is today. Since sailing time is so close, the prices are likely to be fairly high. Then, if you want to upgrade, call your TA or Princess(whomever you booked with) and upgrade it!

I just looked: right now that sailing's prices are:

Oceanview from $799 per person

Balcony from $899 per person

Mini-Suite: from $1299 per person

Suite: from $2749 per person

Keep in mind these are the lowest prices for each category and do not include port charges and government fees.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for your help!

Archived