Is The Cruise Rougher From Seattle Than From Vancouver?

CALMOM

I was wondering if the Seattle R.T. was a rougher cruise than the Vancouver R.T. I have cruised many times any never been affected but I am taking my Mom and I am concerned that she might get sea sick because I have heard that the water is rougher from Seattle than Vnacouver. We are thinking about going either middle of June or Sept.

I think it is much rougher from Seattle, based on my two experiences, and I've heard others mention this too. There is something about the ships that leave from Seattle have to go into open water to reach the inside passage; ships that leave from Vancouver are in fairly protected water all the way.

I have cruised all over the world...around Cape Horn, the Tasman Sea, off the west coast of Africa, some BIG waves (40 feet), and have only been seasick once, pitifully seasick, and that was on the first day out of Seattle going to Alaska. It wasn't so much the size of the waves but the movement of the water (and the ship in it). :eek:

I was wondering if the Seattle R.T. was a rougher cruise than the Vancouver R.T. I have cruised many times any never been affected but I am taking my Mom and I am concerned that she might get sea sick because I have heard that the water is rougher from Seattle than Vnacouver. We are thinking about going either middle of June or Sept.

It certainly can be.

Seattle cruises have to go into the open sea.

Vancouver cruises start out and stay in the inside passage.

The Pacific Ocean is a misnomer. It can be pretty mean.

The one-way cruises out of Vancouver have to cross the Gulf of Alaska which can be quite rough. We didn't experience this but friends encountered 30 foot seas on their Alaska cruise several years ago. Rough seas on either route are not the norm though. However, you are on the sea and it can be rough any time that you are on water.

The potential for rougher sea's is certainly there as you cruise on the open ocean side of Vancouver Island. If you leave from Vancouver the stretch between Vancouver Island and the mainland of B.C. is very scenic. So as a Vancouverite (without prejudice of course) I would say leave from Vancouver.

Archived